Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Any alternative to M.O.R.E.'s Ford 8.8 Conversion kit?

12K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  hamptonYJ 
#1 ·
I might have found the ideal Ford 8.8 axle...it's in my area, so no shipping, correct gearing, disc brakes, and a decent price ($250). Only thing is, it's built for SOA. My Jeep is SUA. So I would need THIS kit. Anybody know of anyone else who makes these, possibly cheaper? Just like to know what the competition offers...

#2 ·
Simply buy your own parts. Perch's can be had just about anywhere. Got my u-bolts from a local spring place. Plates can be found at a PnP, or re-drill your old ones. There should be a couple write up on e brakes. It can be done if U put your mind to it... or get the MORE for hassle free... but it will cost a bit more.

WRM:cheers:

#5 ·
Ballistic fabrication

#7 ·
do lots of reserch on doing this.most kits are made for SOA not SUA and will lower the rear of your jeep quite a bit.i got a set of warrior products set from jc whitney and i still have to work on those.i have a MORE set up that came with my rear and they are beefy but are made for SOA.

#8 ·
Just sent Zach from A-To-Z an email...he made a bunch of stuff for me and I really liked it all so I figured I'd go to him. He said it is made for both SUA and SOA and he said...
There are companies with a "flip kit" that puts the threads facing up so they do not get bashed when wheeling.
Anyone know who sells these? Everything I am finding is the same as A-To-Zs where the U-bolts will be hanging down if SUA. Thanks.

#9 ·
Everything I am finding is the same as A-To-Zs where the U-bolts will be hanging down if SUA. Thanks.
That's how they are without a flip kit.

I'd suggest getting the appropriate perches from Summit or a local place. You can get Mopar ones for about $13 for a set. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294841030+115+4294851722

The ones from Ruff Stuff are definately beefy but are designed for SOA as most 8.8 install kits are. Could be wrong but I think A-Z uses the same perches as Ruff Stuff, I know their diff covers are from Dan (@RS).

#10 ·
I was VERY happy with my MORE kit. Well worth the cash and I didn't have to drive around/hunt around or pay shipping from 5 different vendors. The anti-wrap perches have since been moved to my D60 rear to be used again. Beefy products.

#16 ·
I used the Moroso ones that are in the Summit link above(local speed/machine shop carries them) and they worked just fine. I know they say for a 3" tube but they fit my 8.8 perfectly. If not a little grinding should open the radius up just fine. I like the fact they are very low profile. Which is nice if you are staying SUA.

#17 ·
Not to high jack, but M.O.R.E. said that 90% of the explorers came with 3:73 gears. When we bought our 98 explorer. I walked around the lot and every explorer with the 4.0 had 4:10 gears. This was a big dealer and I bet they had at least 40 new explorers with the 4.0, 4:10 combo. From that experience it's hard for me to believe that 90% of explorers had 3:73' gears.

#18 ·
I feel like I did the least costly option to install mine. Details are in my build thread in my signature, but I reused the factory ford perches and u-bolts and spring plates (they were included from the salvage yard where I got the axle at no additional cost). And I'd put the finished job up against any aftermarket parts. So if you can get the parts from the explorer and do some minor welding, your set! Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.