Any alternative to M.O.R.E.'s Ford 8.8 Conversion kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any alternative to M.O.R.E.'s Ford 8.8 Conversion kit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
FlyersPh9
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any alternative to M.O.R.E.'s Ford 8.8 Conversion kit?

I might have found the ideal Ford 8.8 axle...it's in my area, so no shipping, correct gearing, disc brakes, and a decent price ($250). Only thing is, it's built for SOA. My Jeep is SUA. So I would need THIS kit. Anybody know of anyone else who makes these, possibly cheaper? Just like to know what the competition offers...

FlyersPh9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Simply buy your own parts. Perch's can be had just about anywhere. Got my u-bolts from a local spring place. Plates can be found at a PnP, or re-drill your old ones. There should be a couple write up on e brakes. It can be done if U put your mind to it... or get the MORE for hassle free... but it will cost a bit more.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
JPFREEK
1991 YJ Wrangler 

several options out there...

Ruffstuffspecialties.com

AtoZ Fab

WNYOffroad;CNY Jeep
JPFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
KennyTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rusty's offroad

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/

He's a good guy to deal with. I highly reccomend!

Unread 10-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Chris98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ballistic fabrication
98 tj sport Aussie locked front and rear 4.10's HPD30 8.8 super short sye cv shaft 4.5 lift johnny joint adj. control arms 36in TSL's gen right hi fenders header exhaust custom rockers Solid axle covers f/r the list goes on
Leading bullet sponge for JF Call of Duty crew
X BOX GT- CHRIS98TJ
Chris98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
MNKMcNeilly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFREEK View Post
several options out there...

Ruffstuffspecialties.com

AtoZ Fab
I used Ruff Stuff and their stuff is stout! Great customer service and great product
Green 1993 Jeep YJ with black hardtop 4.0, 4.11 gears,SOA with 1.5" lift springs, Ford 8.8, 3/4" lift Shackles, 35" BFG MT's on black Pro-Comp Rockcrawler wheels, Front OX Locker, Ramsey 8.5 winch, Hand Throttle, Bushwacker style cut out fenders, JB4x4 high steer
[url]www.4x4him.org[/url]
[url]www.effectradio.com[/url]
MNKMcNeilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
jeepercreeper77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

do lots of reserch on doing this.most kits are made for SOA not SUA and will lower the rear of your jeep quite a bit.i got a set of warrior products set from jc whitney and i still have to work on those.i have a MORE set up that came with my rear and they are beefy but are made for SOA.
90 wrangler,4.2l,1" MML,CRT HEI Dist.,34/34(interco) weber, hurst shftr,5spd,5" BDS lft,f-d30/r-8.8,5/8 lft booms,1" bl,tflex belly up,JB convs. SYE,gdyr mtr35s,hurc'ed,smit src frt bump,gen-r rear bump w/tire carrier,f&r tube fenders,psc knokrs,r gen-rgt ful conr gurds,duel bat.,BIC,m8000
jeepercreeper77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
FlyersPh9
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just sent Zach from A-To-Z an email...he made a bunch of stuff for me and I really liked it all so I figured I'd go to him. He said it is made for both SUA and SOA and he said...
There are companies with a "flip kit" that puts the threads facing up so they do not get bashed when wheeling.
Anyone know who sells these? Everything I am finding is the same as A-To-Zs where the U-bolts will be hanging down if SUA. Thanks.
Unread 10-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPh9 View Post
Everything I am finding is the same as A-To-Zs where the U-bolts will be hanging down if SUA. Thanks.
That's how they are without a flip kit.

I'd suggest getting the appropriate perches from Summit or a local place. You can get Mopar ones for about $13 for a set. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294851722

The ones from Ruff Stuff are definately beefy but are designed for SOA as most 8.8 install kits are. Could be wrong but I think A-Z uses the same perches as Ruff Stuff, I know their diff covers are from Dan (@RS).
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was VERY happy with my MORE kit. Well worth the cash and I didn't have to drive around/hunt around or pay shipping from 5 different vendors. The anti-wrap perches have since been moved to my D60 rear to be used again. Beefy products.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
FlyersPh9
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
That's how they are without a flip kit.

I'd suggest getting the appropriate perches from Summit or a local place. You can get Mopar ones for about $13 for a set. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294851722

The ones from Ruff Stuff are definately beefy but are designed for SOA as most 8.8 install kits are. Could be wrong but I think A-Z uses the same perches as Ruff Stuff, I know their diff covers are from Dan (@RS).
The Mopar set here is for an axle that is 2.5" in diameter...like the Dana 35. The Ford 8.8 is 3.25" in diameter...does Mopar sell a set for that diameter axle?
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
ponytail
1996 XJ Cherokee 

where at in harrisburg are you? I am thinking of doing the 8.8 swap, but haven't sourced any of the parts out yet. Would like to see it in progress. I am across the river from harrisburg.
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just sent Zach from A-To-Z an email...he made a bunch of stuff for me and I really liked it all so I figured I'd go to him. He said it is made for both SUA and SOA and he said...
There are companies with a "flip kit" that puts the threads facing up so they do not get bashed when wheeling.
Anyone know who sells these? Everything I am finding is the same as A-To-Zs where the U-bolts will be hanging down if SUA. Thanks.
Dynatrac...

https://store.dynatrac.com/merchant....ory_Code=HiClr
Unread 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
FlyersPh9
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
Nice...but I couldn't tell if the kit did or did not come with spring perches...I am assuming no...
Unread 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Mopar set here is for an axle that is 2.5" in diameter...like the Dana 35. The Ford 8.8 is 3.25" in diameter...does Mopar sell a set for that diameter axle?
Hmmmm, don't know, the one's you and I linked to are for 3" tubes, and I'm certain could be opened up a bit to fit.

I have the Ruff Stuff kit sitting in the garage waiting to someday go in.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.