Anti Theft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anti Theft

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #1
Amadameus
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anti Theft

I'm sure there has been plenty of anti theft discussion already, and I have done some crawling through the boards but wanted to get an opinion on some of my ideas as well.

#1 - I don't have a hard top, but my soft top will not be on much any more so I have no worries there. However, it's getting rather bothersome that I can't keep anything in my Jeep - both for weather and theft reasons. I have seen lock boxes that can be bolted/welded to the wheel wells, and am wondering who here has bought/made their own. Worth it? A pain to lock/unlock?

#2 - Aside from thieving items out of the Jeep, there's also the issue of people stealing the Jeep itself. The wiring is pretty simple, and the engines are MADE to be easy to work on. What's a simple and easy way to prevent the vehicle from being stealable?

#3 - This is just my thing. I keep a 'decoy key' in the Jeep, it's the key to my old Chrysler LHS and is shaped the same. It'll even fit in the ignition. I keep it prominently displayed on the glovebox, just so some idiot car thief will TRY to use it, fail, and probably look somewhere else. (My reasoning? Car thief is probably worried that he'll be seen. If he puts the key in and fails to start the car, he's much more likely to lose his cool and leave - before a bystander sees him.)

#4 - I plan to buy a hard top, mostly because those can't be slit open. Better winter weathering and better anti theft protection. But this won't be too helpful if my doors are still missing their locks. They don't even have a keyhole there, there's just the door handle. My idea is (when/if I get a hard top) to cut a small hole near the edge of the door, weld some U shaped pieces onto the door and frame, then just use a padlock. Has anyone else jimmy-rigged their own anti theft systems or door locks, and how well did they work?

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob!

Unread 02-09-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
DeclarationDay
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can only answer #2 for you. I open the hood and pull off the wire from the ignition coil to the center of the dist cap. I plan on fabbing a dummy ignition coil wire so the would-be thief won't even be able to identify the problem.

There are other easy solutions such as finding and pulling the ignition fuse, or rigging a kill switch for the fuel pump. It's kind of hard to steal a vehicle that won't start.
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's an answer to #2 DIY Imobilizer. There have also been some write ups on the use of Ammo cans bolted down and padlocked for cheap lockable storage.
Unread 02-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

#1 try and find an add-a-trunk on this site or your local craigslist, or try and make one.

#3 Not too sure if the LHS key is the best idea, someone who may not have stole your jeep may be mighty tempted to give it a shot once he sees the key. Like kids or someone passing by. They will prolly get pretty pissed once it doesn't work and try and rip out your ignition or just break something out of frustration.

#4 First make sure your current doors will fit a hardtop.Padlocks seem like a good idea and would probably deter any thieves, if your willing to lock/unlock it everytime.

I park in a very bad area twice a week, and sometimes with no top, I just take out my head unit and that anti-theft chip under the dash (not sure if everyone has one) and make sure you have NOTHING in the jeep that your not willing to lose. I just have a few CDs, tire iron and a few very cheap tools for emergency use.

Good Luck !
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That DIY immobilizer is pretty impressive. I just take the ignition rotor with me if the neighborhood is that bad.
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had a soft top and or no top on my last jeep and I never had any theft problems. I bought a few Tuffy products and kept my detachable face in the Tuffy center console.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Jeepkiddo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used to have a lockable center console, but i found out it wasnt very secure when the whole lock mechanism broke right off. It was a VDP center console.
The Dana 35 was a cruel joke.
Jeepkiddo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

fuel cut off switch is your best bet. hide the switch well tho.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Gurrenteed555
1994 YJ Wrangler 

#1 depending on what kind of area you are leaving you jeep in, i would seriously consider taking everything of value out of your jeep and leaving the doors unlocked. I saw this advice a while back on this site and didn't take it. I locked my door and now I have a giant cut in the drivers window. If someone wants in your jeep bad enough to pull on the handle and see if its unlocked, they are gonna get in it. Once you have a hard top its a different story.
As far as a lockbox idea... I think its great. I did what your are thinking about doing. I looked at lock boxes of all different shapes, sizes, and price ranges. I ended up buying a truck bed toolbox from ebay. It cost me about 100 bucks in all. It was a little over 30 inches wide, 22 inches deep, and about 15 inches tall. If you are interested in seeing pictures of it you can email me @ g2hawker@aol.com
It fits PERFECT in the back end (with no seats of course) and I really like it. Its exactly what I need to keep my fire and EMS gear locked up. It actually fits so snug that Im not sure its ever coming out.

#2 As far as the stealing of the jeep itself.. Well I kind of went the expensive route and just got the removable steering wheel from Grant. I love it. Its easy to take off and put back on, and I think it will really make a thief think twice when they walk up to a car that doesnt have a steering wheel.
The reason I am happy with my "No Wheel, No Steal" method is just because no thief is gonna break into a car that they cant drive away. For the price it was worth it to me.
The first thing I bought when I got my jeep was tuffy locks for everything. Im happy I did... Still never had anything stolen, just one damn window cut.

#3 I think the decoy key is a bad idea. I think a thief knows what to look for and a key sitting out is definitely one of them. I dont want anyone breaking into my jeep because they saw a key that they thought would start it up.

#4 I dont know whats going on in this question... Why doesnt your jeep have locks? I dont think your idea sounds like a bad one tho.
Gurrenteed555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
Amadameus
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, all, for the awesome help! I've talked with a friend of mine (if anyone you know has a MIG welder, they immediately become your New Best Friend) and he has promised both to help me put together two lock boxes, but also to make the front parts into mounts for my Jeep stereo, which will be likewise mounted securely (not inside the standard dash mount but in its own little mini lock box, I'll just put a CD in and not mess with it while driving)

I agree with #4, the false key will likely act as an attractant rather than a deterrent.

Since I'm planning to tear out the interior, I will likely not have the ragtop on again until winter comes - this is half because I like driving topless, half because I don't want to see it cut. My ragtop is in very good condition and I want to keep it that way.

So. I'm looking at this plan for the DIY Immobilizer and am realizing that I need a LOT more skill to do this... I would feel comfortable with the electronics but would have to literally recheck every wire three times to ensure I'm not f*cking anything up. Also pulling a fuse or coil sounds good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.