anti-drainback valve question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > anti-drainback valve question

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
brandolabs
1995 YJ Wrangler 

anti-drainback valve question

Looking for some expertise. So for the last month or so my YJ has been slow to start (3-5sec crank). connections are solid, new redtop optima (6 months), and a new starter (4 months). Through all of my forum searching it seems that my problem is most likely my anti-drainback valve leaking or losing pressure so that when I start my jeep the pump has to pump the fuel before it can fire blah blah.

Question is, how much of a pain in the butt is it to replace and is it worth doing before I sell. Selling because i've got a squirrel 4 cyl and I need more power. any responses are much appreciated, thanks guys

brandolabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Desert_Rampage
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have this same issue. Where is said drainback valve? I have access to ALLDATA but not at the moment.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 08-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Desert_Rampage
1991 XJ Cherokee 

bump
Desert_Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The drain back check valve is in the in tank fuel pump, you gotta replace the pump. If your fuel pres. is ok
once it is running I doubt it will cause low power just long crank time.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Desert_Rampage
1991 XJ Cherokee 

What if it's a carb'd engine? Wouldn't it be the filter itself acting as a valve?
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Carb engines dont realy need one because fuel is stored in the carbs float bowl when the engine is not running.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Desert_Rampage
1991 XJ Cherokee 

True True. Idk, I have the 4.2 w/ 32/36 Weber and mine takes ages to crank after sitting for any length of time. Kinda irritating.
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your bowl might be evaporating off the full if it's hot and a while inbetween starts.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did that too. Carbed w/MC2100. It was kind of annoying. I even popped the top of the carb and the fuel had drained right to the needle float.
I switched out the fuel filter and that fixed it. I guess at least on mine the anti drainback is in the filter.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was wondering to. Mine is a 4,2 with a MC2150 carb. It turns over more when sitting a few days. I run the fuel filter with the fuel return hose.

My son has the same carb on his Ford Ranger with no fuel return filter. His starts up a lot more quickly. So I guess it's psooible for the fuel to go back to the tank and drained up to the needle valve inside the carb. With the fuel filter return, after shut off, there should be no fuel pressure at the carb since it's vented back to the tank on the re.

I learned that the fuel filter return line, had to be at the 12:00 position, It was to keep fuel flowing to prevent line lock up from heat, and to releive the pressure from the fuel pump when it's not needed as much (idle).

Most Fords do not have return lines. So I am wondering if you have a carter or motorcraft, that the fuel return can be eleminated?

Tags
anti-drainback valve , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.