Another year another challenge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another year another challenge

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
ReddDawg
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Another year another challenge

Used motor. Used transmission. Everything working great. Jumped in it today to leave the park where we had been mountain biking and just before we turned onto the road it sounded like someone shot the bottom of the Jeep with a bb. Clear, crisp, on the floor pan. (sounds like) I start to drive off and
no speedometer.
Before I get halfway home my woody is beating my Borla muffler into submission. Jamb nut on the yoke came off and at interstate speeds the shaft came loose. Fortunately we are high enough for it to not hit pavement. Anyway reassemble and get home. Disassemble to review. No damage found and everything is solid. (output shaft, etc)
I pulled the speedo cap and the driven gear (yellow) was literally melted along the edge towards the stem. Finger into the hole and I can feel a groove on the drive gear. It was working up until a few hours ago. Drove the thing home so everything is still (theoretically) turning. The driven gear turns fine in the unit.

Any ideas?

ReddDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ill bet you got no fluid in there and its not liking it

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
ReddDawg
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Starting point

I guess I will find out a little more when I drop the tail shaft to replace the drive and driven. I have driven it a little locally but have not engaged 4wd yet but everything "seems" to be functioning. It does look like I had a leak at the tail shaft but there is no markings in the driveway. Thank you for the feedback.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
ReddDawg
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow

When sitting at a light with the clutch in and the tranny in gear there is the sound of a tortured cat coming from the bell housing. Before I could look at that...

Coming home from the same mountain bike trails with the same child as the drive shaft separation we almost got home before there was a great clatter as we were coming off the exit ramp. Smart butt in the passenger seat says "what now" which really helped. As long as we're under throttle there is no noise. Creep home and drove into the driveway that we normally back into. Good thing as when I went to back it up it was no go. Engage 4WD and back it up, park in the driveway and get out to inspect.
Pinion is flopping like a flag in a light breeze. Pulled the cover and find a race and many needle bearings. Good amount of fluid so it's probably just age but still!

Going to do the locker while I am in there.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, this post is painful to read.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ouch. I think the child needs to be educated..... It's just a Jeep thing. Fix it, break it, and fix it again!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.