Another White YJ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another White YJ!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
ben34mod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another White YJ!

Just thought I would post a few pics of my 1990 YJ. I had a CJ 5 in high school and sold it after about of year of owning it. I have wanted another Jeep ever since. Found this 6cyl, auto, with 137,xxx miles and a bad transfer case for $2,500.

This site has been a great help in getting it going and running smooth!

Figured out what transfer case I needed (by using this site) and stuck a used one in there, it worked great. I went ahead and changed the trans fluid while I was under there. The PO had intalled a junkyard transmission thinking that was the problem. I dropped the pan to find pink fluid, drained every bit I could hoping the water in the fluid didn't kill the trans too. (More later on the Trans)

Here it is the day I picked it up....

Underside pics....No major rust....

Transfer Case info....

U-Pol Lined the interior....

Removed the orginal carb and installed a MC2150 and did the Nutter Bypass...Made a huge difference in the way it ran (didn't get a pic of the final product, I am bad about doing that)

More too come.......

ben34mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks nice sounds like you got a good deal
jhartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
ben34mod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cont....

It had a 3" BL on it, had to cut it down to a 1", and found a set of 2.5" EMU leafs with bushings on Craigslist for $150....

Cutting the BL down to 1"....

After driving it for a couple of weeks, the transmission started acting up. I assumed the clutches were coming apart from the water in the trans. The jeep had to sit for couple of months while I finished another project...

This....

To this....

Back to the jeep....

Couple of weeks ago I was able to get the jeep back in the shop. I tore into the transmission and sure enough the clutches were falling apart. Installed all new steels, clutches, seals, and bushings, and a converter. Come to find out the PO had installed a torque converter that was externally balanced which was causing a vibration at a high RPM and broke the flywheel!

Finished product....Also did the vent relocation....

Got the trans back in and installed a couple of other Craigslist deals....
Front Bumper and 9K Warn Winch ($450 for everything)
5 Wheels and tires off of a 07 Rubicon with 3,000 miles on them ($600)

I also installed a set of one inch boomerangs from gpfabrication to try and level the front....

and this is where it is at today....

Oh and my riders....
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
ben34mod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartley View Post
Looks nice sounds like you got a good deal
Thanks....
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. That has made me make my mind up right there. A white YJ with the 17" MOAB rims off a JK rubi. Done deal. Those are what I want. I assume you got the wheel adapter right? Which ones did you get and from where? Thanks
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also, did you have to do anything to adjust the speedo? If not, any idea how much its off by, if at all?
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
ben34mod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos85
Wow. That has made me make my mind up right there. A white YJ with the 17" MOAB rims off a JK rubi. Done deal. Those are what I want. I assume you got the wheel adapter right? Which ones did you get and from where? Thanks
Yeah I was surprised myself, I planned on blacking them out but I liked them how they were once I got them on. As far as wheel adapters I got a set off of eBay, I don't think they are hub centric, but so far so good. I am going to retorque them after a couple hundred miles. The seller was lugs-n-stuff.
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
ben34mod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos85
Also, did you have to do anything to adjust the speedo? If not, any idea how much its off by, if at all?
I used an app on my phone to check the speed and best I can tell its off by 4 or 5 mph. I think the tires figure out to be 32.1" tall.
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben34mod View Post
Yeah I was surprised myself, I planned on blacking them out but I liked them how they were once I got them on. As far as wheel adapters I got a set off of eBay, I don't think they are hub centric, but so far so good. I am going to retorque them after a couple hundred miles. The seller was lugs-n-stuff.
Looks great! I may be partial to white YJs with moabs though. I think we have twins

Unread 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos85 View Post
I got the spidertrax wheel adapters to get the jk rims to fit on my yj. To fix my speedo I got 36 tooth speedo gear off of ebay. I think it was the red one. Its somewhere in my build thread.
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

That looks damn nice. Not over done, but enough to get the job done.

Did you get the Motorcraft kit off ebay?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
ben34mod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great! I may be partial to white YJs with moabs though. I think we have twins

They do look just alike I like your hard top, makes it look clean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
I got the spidertrax wheel adapters to get the jk rims to fit on my yj. To fix my speedo I got 36 tooth speedo gear off of ebay. I think it was the red one. Its somewhere in my build thread.
I will have to go take a look....Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
That looks damn nice. Not over done, but enough to get the job done.

Did you get the Motorcraft kit off ebay?
Thanks...still have to put a rear bumper on it, but that will be it for a little while.

I did get the kit that is sold on ebay, but I actually bought it from a guy in the classified section of this forum. He had never installed it and was selling his jeep. I put it on there and didn't have to touch it other than the idle.
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Have you wheeled with the Motorcraft? How do you like it? I'm dangerously close to dumping my Carter and could really use some input from those with aftermarket carbs.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
ben34mod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject
Have you wheeled with the Motorcraft? How do you like it? I'm dangerously close to dumping my Carter and could really use some input from those with aftermarket carbs.
Sorry, nothing but the highway so far...my jeep does have a/c and it does fine when the compressor kicks on while idling. Don't know if that helps any.
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Not to highjack your thread but I love my motorcraft carb its the reason I havent been in a hurry to swap to FI I can climb a near vertical wall without stalling.

with all the guys running moab wheels I may grab me a set since finding tires in 15" flavor is getting harder and harder.... jeep looks great keep it up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.