Another squeaky fan belt issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another squeaky fan belt issue

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Another squeaky fan belt issue

92 4.0 2WD.......fan belt started to squeal all of a sudden. i removed it and cleaned it and all the groves in all the pulleys. while apart i turned all the moving parts and they all seemed fine. put it together and same issue. while running i sprayed WD-40 on the belt and the squeal went away for about a minute then returned. seems to me the WD-40 fixing it for a minute ruled out any issues with the alternator and PWS pump. observed the pulleys while running and no wobble or anything out of the ordinary. fan belt is like new still had the bend in it from being in the box.

any ideas....

kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

use carb cleaner or brake cleaner instead of wd40

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Take belt off and spin the things that will spin. One of them is about to go out and will be tighter than the rest.
Or the belt is not tight enough
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Everything clean and degreased? Check.
No pulley makes noise while manually spinning when belt is off? Check.
Belt on just a little tighter than you think it should be? if not = Belt not tight enough.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i just drove it to the store and back squealing all the way. when i got home noticed water dripping under. guess i will be changing the water pump tomorrow.............
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
ted1888
1995 YJ Wrangler 

had same problem with 97tj tried tighting cleaning and checked idler and otherpulleys belt looked good /bought new cheap belt fixed problem for almost a year. then problem returned tried everything again. talked to other jeepers was advised to spend a little more money and buy a better belt.installed a new one/problem solved 3years ago. but make sure pulleys are in line. good luck.
ted1888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

installed new water pump, old one was bad but the belt still squeals. how tight is it supposed to be? i have another belt i will try. the one on there now has unbroken groves in it the other one i have has cross hatches on a angle, if i am making any sense. i saw somewhere some of the belts will stick in the groves of the pulleys?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.