Another regearing question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another regearing question

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
40FiveSeventy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Another regearing question

Hey guys,

Before anyone throws things, I did a keyword search for my question, but didn't come up with anything conclusive. After my adventure of losing a tire, I'm going to obviously be putting new tires on my jeep. I'm looking at 31's that will fit on stock rims, so I don't have to do any spacing or lifting right off the bat. I also understand that upping the tire size means regearing AND changing the speedo gear to be accurate - but here's my question - does it matter which of those I do first? I figured it should go - Tires -> Regear -> Speedo gear, because how many teeth you need is dependent on the tire/gear ratio matrix, right? Just looking for some clarification. I don't want to do things wrong.

Thanks!

Unread 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Bro, I really don't think a re-gear is worth your $$$. Unless you had bigger tires,

I have 30X9.5r15's and there is not a noticeable loss in power from my beastly 2.5 (sarcasm)
1" larger is not gonna kill yer engine.

The speedo gear is like >$10 so yea have at it
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

For 31's on your 2.5L, 5 speed, I doubt that I'd do a gear change. It should be tolerable.

Now if you are getting some 4.56's or 4.88's SUPER cheap (since you should already have 4.10's), it might be worth it. But if you are buying new gears, bearings, master install kits, and paying a shop to do the work, it'll cost some serious coin $$$.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40FiveSeventy View Post
Hey guys,

Before anyone throws things, I did a keyword search for my question, but didn't come up with anything conclusive. After my adventure of losing a tire, I'm going to obviously be putting new tires on my jeep. I'm looking at 31's that will fit on stock rims, so I don't have to do any spacing or lifting right off the bat. I also understand that upping the tire size means regearing AND changing the speedo gear to be accurate - but here's my question - does it matter which of those I do first? I figured it should go - Tires -> Regear -> Speedo gear, because how many teeth you need is dependent on the tire/gear ratio matrix, right? Just looking for some clarification. I don't want to do things wrong.

Thanks!
You got it !!

But will comment that you might not need to regear if you are happy with the performance. In fact I`d bet you with that small of a tire change you won`t need to.

Speedo gear. I`d use a GPS to see how much your speedo is off. Do not think it will be much. Yes, I am taking into account the ECM and VSS signal.

Put some fresh meats on it. Drive it for a week or two. Then make your decision(s).

Here is a chart you can play with

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Just for kicks I plugged some numbers in

AX-15 trans.
30 to 31 inch tires
3.73 gears
231 TC

Found a 3 mph difference at 2500 RPM with going from 30 to 31`s.

No worries
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.