Another one of those Noise I can't find threads...:) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another one of those Noise I can't find threads...:)

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another one of those Noise I can't find threads...:)

OK first things first, my jeep is running, driving and riding great except for when I hit a bump. I have noticed lately that when I hit a bump going slow like on a paved back road that I get a bang noise like you would think the U-bolts were loose on one of the front axles. I have checked all of them, and shook, checked tightness of everything I can access. I have looked for shiny metal where something is moving around and found nothing. I get no vibrations, no bad steering issues or anything. It is like the tranny takes a bounce and lands back where it is suppose to be.

Also something else that might be related, occassionally when I take off and sort of lug it I get a banging / bucking feeling like slack in the drive line going back and forth...

Any ideas what could be loose or causing this, I just can't seem to locate it.

Thanks again folks, as always you people are great help...

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

How old is the trans mount? Have you put a jack under it to see if it is seperated?

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7YJ View Post
How old is the trans mount? Have you put a jack under it to see if it is seperated?
You are talking about the single solid block tranny mount in the back of the tranny right?? No I have not, would I need to unbolt the skid plate or anything else first, or just put some pressure on it with a jack as is?? I did my own SYE a couple years ago and the mount looked good then but I know things can change.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just put a little pressure on it with a jack and see if it's split. Also look to see if the t/c is close to the skid plate, a worn mount that is overly soft may cause the t/c to hit the skid plate on a bump.

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just put a little pressure on it with a jack and see if it's split. Also look to see if the t/c is close to the skid plate, a worn mount that is overly soft may cause the t/c to hit the skid plate on a bump.
Thanks 5.7, I will deffinitly check that stuff out... Appreciate the insight!!
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Thanks 5.7, I will deffinitly check that stuff out... Appreciate the insight!!
Your very wecome, I hope it helps out.

Unread 08-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you still have trac-bars hooked up?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

since your checking mount check the engine mounts too, could cause "slack" when you first take off.
bogleparsons is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMPC View Post
Do you still have trac-bars hooked up?
Nope no trac bars or sway bars installed.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
since your checking mount check the engine mounts too, could cause "slack" when you first take off.
I have visually checked them looking for obvious cracks, how else would I check for hidden defects, will jacking up on the tranny make this noticable as well?? It really doesn't make any noise on take off, more like if I lug it going slow in second gear, sort of a buck in drive line.. As stated before I notice the noise most of the time when going slow on a sub-par paved back road that maybe has a little dip in the road or when I hit the end of a bridge going really slow it sounds like something takes a bounce underneath it...

I didn't get a chance to check anything tonight, daughter is getting packed up to start college and took all my time this evening... Maybe tomorrow evening..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The easiest way to check your engine mounts would be to have someone in the Jeep with the brake on, partialy let the clutch out in forward and reverse while you watch the mounts. If one or both is bad, you should see a lot of movement from the engine.

Unread 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The easiest way to check your engine mounts would be to have someone in the Jeep with the brake on, partialy let the clutch out in forward and reverse while you watch the mounts. If one or both is bad, you should see a lot of movement from the engine.
Thanks I will try that if what I have found did not fix it. I just went up and took a look under it and found I could wiggle my torque arm pretty easily by hand. It appeared to loose for me. I put a quick wrench on it and snugged it up... I did a visual on motor mounts and tranny mount and didn't see anything there that looked/felt loose or broken.. I am going to drive it to work tomorrow so I will no in about 1 mile if I did any good or not..

Still had good clothes on from going out to eat so didn't want to get to carried away tonight.. Reading about the torque arm got my curiosity up and I had to atleast go lay on the creeper under it for a few minutes..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you recently lift the jeep?? I had a similar issue once after I lifted mine the 2nd time, out of 3, and realized that the rear shocks were too short and bottoming out every once in a while. Took them off completely to test and sure enough, the noise was gone.
t2timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
Did you recently lift the jeep?? I had a similar issue once after I lifted mine the 2nd time, out of 3, and realized that the rear shocks were too short and bottoming out every once in a while. Took them off completely to test and sure enough, the noise was gone.
No my lift is a couple of years old and installed shocks that came with lift.. The sound is a little different then that, not like a dead blow hammer hitting one spot but more like someone picked the front of the engine up about 2 inches and dropped it..

I don't believe it to be shocks but I certainly will not rule that out at this point..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think tightening the torque arm may have fixed my problem. I drove it to work today and never heard the banging sound one time... How tight should the torque arm be?? I just snugged it up good with some wrenches but never actually torqued to anything specific... Will it work as it??
My-95-YJ Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.