Another oil leak question thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another oil leak question thread

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Reply
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
mracer71
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 23
Another oil leak question thread

All, summer is here, things got hot, oil flows faster and leaks easier. I just changed valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and oil pump on my YJ. Everything is tight down there... but I got a leak. It appears right in the bottom of as if streaming from that thin metal cover that mounts over a flywheel. At first I thought that I didn't mount that plate right, although, it seems like it's hard to go wrong with it. I made sure that all oil pan bolts are tight. it also possibly looks like oil is streaming down, via the back of the engine around the starter and right on that metal cover. What's out there behind that 6cyl motor? My trans is column mounted shifter. It leaks pretty bad.

mracer71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB, Alberta
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer71
All, summer is here, things got hot, oil flows faster and leaks easier. I just changed valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and oil pump on my YJ. Everything is tight down there... but I got a leak. It appears right in the bottom of as if streaming from that thin metal cover that mounts over a flywheel. At first I thought that I didn't mount that plate right, although, it seems like it's hard to go wrong with it. I made sure that all oil pan bolts are tight. it also possibly looks like oil is streaming down, via the back of the engine around the starter and right on that metal cover. What's out there behind that 6cyl motor? My trans is column mounted shifter. It leaks pretty bad.
Rear main seal should be a concern

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
mracer71
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 23
Rear main seal is definitely a concern. In that case, would oil be coming via that very spot - from below that thin metal cover around the flywheel? I noticed it pouring out quiet freely.
oil-leak.jpg  
mracer71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB, Alberta
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer71
Rear main seal is definitely a concern. In that case, would oil be coming via that very spot - from below that thin metal cover around the flywheel? I noticed it pouring out quiet freely.
That's where. It could be from the valve cover, I had mine leaking in the back, found it was just the seal twisted when I installed it. But it could be either or.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
mracer71
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 23
Would a valve cover gasket cause a big oil leak? By big I mean I can see oil running from the tip of the bell housing pretty good. It wouldn't bother me as much (i'd still attempt to fix it) if it wasn't splashing on the exhaust and cause serious smoke screen.
mracer71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
rshbutch
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: fresno, ca.
Posts: 96
You said it might be leaking from starter side. Just above starter is your oil pressure and sending unit,they are known to leak,and loosen up. And could be valve cover gasket if you over tightened the bolts
rshbutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
bigbossd1030
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB, Alberta
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer71
Would a valve cover gasket cause a big oil leak? By big I mean I can see oil running from the tip of the bell housing pretty good. It wouldn't bother me as much (i'd still attempt to fix it) if it wasn't splashing on the exhaust and cause serious smoke screen.
Probably not. Are you sure it's engine oil?
I can't see in that picture properly, I'm on my phone so it's a bit blurry. Give it a sniff.
Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
pasinbuy
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 3,840
Over tightening valve and oil pans bolts will cause leaks. Buy a couple of cans of engine clean. Spray the whole area upper and lower, rinse with water. let her sit and dry.

Hours later or next day start it up and find your leak. Run you hand everywhere when your hand gets oily you found your leak.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.