JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Another oil leak question thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/another-oil-leak-question-thread-1540513/)

mracer71 06-23-2013 09:52 PM

Another oil leak question thread

All, summer is here, things got hot, oil flows faster and leaks easier. I just changed valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and oil pump on my YJ. Everything is tight down there... but I got a leak. It appears right in the bottom of as if streaming from that thin metal cover that mounts over a flywheel. At first I thought that I didn't mount that plate right, although, it seems like it's hard to go wrong with it. I made sure that all oil pan bolts are tight. it also possibly looks like oil is streaming down, via the back of the engine around the starter and right on that metal cover. What's out there behind that 6cyl motor? My trans is column mounted shifter. It leaks pretty bad.

bigbossd1030 06-23-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mracer71
All, summer is here, things got hot, oil flows faster and leaks easier. I just changed valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and oil pump on my YJ. Everything is tight down there... but I got a leak. It appears right in the bottom of as if streaming from that thin metal cover that mounts over a flywheel. At first I thought that I didn't mount that plate right, although, it seems like it's hard to go wrong with it. I made sure that all oil pan bolts are tight. it also possibly looks like oil is streaming down, via the back of the engine around the starter and right on that metal cover. What's out there behind that 6cyl motor? My trans is column mounted shifter. It leaks pretty bad.

Rear main seal should be a concern

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.

mracer71 06-23-2013 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear main seal is definitely a concern. In that case, would oil be coming via that very spot - from below that thin metal cover around the flywheel? I noticed it pouring out quiet freely.

bigbossd1030 06-23-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Rear main seal is definitely a concern. In that case, would oil be coming via that very spot - from below that thin metal cover around the flywheel? I noticed it pouring out quiet freely.

That's where. It could be from the valve cover, I had mine leaking in the back, found it was just the seal twisted when I installed it. But it could be either or.

mracer71 06-24-2013 09:52 AM

Would a valve cover gasket cause a big oil leak? By big I mean I can see oil running from the tip of the bell housing pretty good. It wouldn't bother me as much (i'd still attempt to fix it) if it wasn't splashing on the exhaust and cause serious smoke screen.

rshbutch 06-24-2013 10:45 AM

You said it might be leaking from starter side. Just above starter is your oil pressure and sending unit,they are known to leak,and loosen up. And could be valve cover gasket if you over tightened the bolts

bigbossd1030 06-24-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Would a valve cover gasket cause a big oil leak? By big I mean I can see oil running from the tip of the bell housing pretty good. It wouldn't bother me as much (i'd still attempt to fix it) if it wasn't splashing on the exhaust and cause serious smoke screen.

Probably not. Are you sure it's engine oil?
I can't see in that picture properly, I'm on my phone so it's a bit blurry. Give it a sniff.

pasinbuy 06-24-2013 11:32 AM

Over tightening valve and oil pans bolts will cause leaks. Buy a couple of cans of engine clean. Spray the whole area upper and lower, rinse with water. let her sit and dry.

Hours later or next day start it up and find your leak. Run you hand everywhere when your hand gets oily you found your leak.

The time now is 02:55 AM.