Another oil leak question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another oil leak question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-02-2001, 02:04 AM   #1
ncmts

Another oil leak question

1990 YJ, 6 cyl..just bought today. I understand the pressure can build in the crankcase and blow back through the PVC and air cleaner. But I also read an article about the plastic valve cover leaking alot. I would like to know what anybody's experience is with this. Which one sounds like it may be the culprit? As usual, there is oil all over the valve cover and hard to tell where the leak is.. Also the aluminum valve covers tell you it will be necessary to tap a new hole in the cyl. head. NOT too crazy about that.. Should I buy a new plastic vavle cover? Thanks for your help.. Newbie to the board...

ncmts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2001, 02:37 PM   #2
Keith
Admin

Just went through this. Take off the valve cover and see if it is cracked, mine was. If it is then buy a new one (www.4wd.com) if not then just replace the gasket as well as the PVC valve. Mine was also leaking from the cap on top of the valve cover, I used some gasket sealer and that solved that problem.

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2001, 11:32 PM   #3
Razskidoo

I heard that the valve cover gasket is preform, is that true?
I have the same problem! leaks @ back of valve cover and all over the bottom of the jeep, (also in the air cleaner. Whats the cure for this?) I tried to get a pvc for my 92" and they told me it's not needed or It does'nt call for one. If I have one there should be a replacement! RIGHT
Unread 05-03-2001, 12:37 AM   #4
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

Hey same problem with mine, replace the valve cover gasket, the plastic lid, (silicone) and it also leaked from the dipstick, push it on all the way, there is usually pressure under that while driving.
Unread 05-03-2001, 07:40 AM   #5
jeeptuff

I believe it was 92 and later there is no PCV, they are classified as a CCV(crank case ventilator). No part stores carry them that i have found. It is a dealer item only..
Unread 05-03-2001, 01:13 PM   #6
Loomis4wheeler

Your 92' should not have a plastic cover, they stopped installing them in 86', although some 87's came with them (like mine). If for some strange reason you have a plastic cover, I recommend replacing it(you'll fight this thing forever). The best replacement cover on the market is one made by Westside. It's a clean bolt in (no tapping required, however, it is somewhat costly at $160. With this cover, no gasket is used, only RTV. The job can be completed in a few hours. Note: make sure you clean the mating surfaces on the head to ensure leak free fit.
Loomis4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2001, 10:52 AM   #7
ncmts

Razskidoo..... look at this site for a good article on oil in the air cleaner
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...ltr/blowby.htm

also this one might help too
Unread 05-04-2001, 10:52 AM   #8
ncmts

Razskidoo..... look at this site for a good article on oil in the air cleaner
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...ltr/blowby.htm

also this one might help too http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...ver/cover.html
Unread 05-05-2001, 12:44 PM   #9
Razskidoo

Thanks, ncmts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.