Another nutter question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another nutter question!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
mamesteco
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Another nutter question!

When doing the Nutter Bypass, what does it elimamate from the engine?
Pulse air system?
02 Sensor?
Vac switches on valve cover or fire wall?

If this stuff is taken off, how does it affect the E-test?
Does a new weber carb burn that much cleaner that we don't need these parts?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but just want to be sure I will pass the E-test before I proceed any further. It will be a lot of wasted time and money if I can't pass the test.

mamesteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If they do a visual test and you remove any of the stuff they may fail you. In NJ I passed emission testing with a new cat converter and all of the pulse air smog stuff gone. I have the stock Carter carb and an HEI distributer. My readings were lower then the standards. I don't know how they test in Canada. If it is done by a mechanic then stop and ask them the laws. In the US it is illegal to remove, modify or disconnect any pollution control equipment that came on the vehicle from the factory. This doesn't mean that it won't run clean though but a visual inspection will fail you.
As far as what can be removed after a Nutter, all of the wiring and vac lines that go to the emissions computer and the pulse air system and air tubes. They do nothing once you bypass the wires. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/wire-sml.htm
Unread 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
smitkev2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/ele...n99/index.htm?

This link helped me understand more about it. Be sure to read the FAQ's on the bottom of the page. Makes sense after you read it a few times.

<< Quoting the link above: >>

Q. Is the modification emissions legal for emission controlled vehicles?

A. In the United States, this modification is not legal on it's own. It is possible that steps 3 through 5 may be 49 state legal with the use of certain types of fuel injection that are already certified for 49 state use. Please contact the fuel injection system manufacturer or your local state regulatory agency for this information. It may also be legal in some states when replacing an engine in an older vehicle (without the BBD system) with an engine from a year with a BBD system. I have no specific information on what is or is not legal in any particular state or with any particular system(s) and I will not be able to answer any questions or give any advice relating to legality. Remember that you are altering the emissions control equipment and in many US states this is illegal.

If you live or operate the vehicle in a country other than the United States, the legality of this modification will depend entirely upon the laws of your country. You will need to contant the relevant government agency in your country for this information.

Q. My state has no visual inspection. Will my Jeep pass the smog test (sniffer test ) with the modification?

A. First, I can't really tell you that, among other things it will depend on the condition of the rest of your engine and how well it is tuned. I can tell you that in my Jeep with this modification that I have passed a sniffer test with results as good as a new 4.0L fuel injected Jeep engine and I have also failed the test miserably, depending on the the condition of the engine and its state of tune. In general, some people who have a BBD system that is malfunctioning or who have idle difficulties may find the modification to be of some benefit because it may help reduce misfires at idle. Each misfire sends a puff of unburned hydrocarbons out the exhaust and lessens your chances of passing the test. Your results will absolutely vary and we make no claims of any kind regarding the impact of this modification on any emmisions testing in any country.
smitkev2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.