Another new guy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another new guy

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-24-2002, 06:38 PM   #1
Sublime

Another new guy

Just a note to introduce myself, I have been lurking for four weeks and just finished the deal with my JEEP today so..........Hello all.

This looks like another board I need to check daily,(along with Turbobuick.com) and I'll try to do a search before asking any easy questions.

My new ride is big and Neon green, so I think it will be fun to cruise around in, but I have some wheeling plans too. I have had a Samurai, an Exploder, and a full size Bronco, but a JEEP has always been the real dream.

And now the stupid questions:

It has a new flywheel, clutch, clutch master cyl., and rebuilt trans. The guy I bought it from has had the last trans and this one in and out seven times and it always has the same problem, 5th and 3rd won't work. The shifter will go into the location for the gear but there is no motion. The trans when out was at a tranny shop and it looks perfect (like it should being freshly rebuilt) so I took the JEEP as is and got $800.00 of the price to fix it. Unfortunatley an auto or AX15 swap is out of the question so I need to make what I have work.

So now finally to the question:

Any suggestions for me to tell the shop where to start?, I'm thinking maybe clutch adjustment but I'm more familiar with an auto trans.

One more, will getting rid of the cat and getting a local shop to do a manifold back exhaust in 2 1/2" help enough to justify the $?. The stock stuff is there but I figure with the stock crappy carb all these years the converter may be plugged.

TIA

84 Grand National Stock ;-)!!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

neon green huh? you gotta post some pics

Welcome, sounds like you already know a bit about mechanics.

Not sure about the tranny but I would do it yourself for the exhaust, its fairly easy and you can save some $$
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 08:55 PM   #3
St.LJustin

Sorry but I couldn't help but laugh when you said you had an Exploder. I hope this was just a typing error. I'm not to familiar with the transmission but I know that Atropine is right. Do the exhaust yourself, it's not too hard.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2002, 06:19 AM   #4
Sublime

It would be easy to work on the JEEP considering it's high enough to walk under, J/K. It does seem real easy but there is a local shop that has done all of the exhaust work on my cars and for example did a complete 2 1/2" header back with a H-pipe and muffs on the Impala SS I replaced with the Wrangler for $200.00.

I'm guessing $125.00 for the JEEP and they will ditch the cat for me. There are no emission laws or inspections here!!!

Thanks for the replies I'll let the shop try and figure out the tranny.

Unread 04-25-2002, 06:22 AM   #5
Sublime

Oh and I have dig. pics but no place to host them, can I post somehow?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.