Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Another motor swap question

732 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Ross_YJ 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just wanted to first introduce myself. I'm newer to this forum and everyone here seems pretty cool so I'd first like to say hello and nice to meet everyone.

I recently purchased a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande. It's got 83k original miles, as you all know its the 2.5l 4 banger. The guy who owned it before me put quite a bit of work into it. Its got 35' TSL Super Swamper boggers, a 5' suspension lift with a 3' body lift, new springs, shocks, and headers all within the last year. Obviously being new, it didn't take me long to realize that the 4cyl motor is a piece of junk and far to underpowered to be turned 35' tires. Even with the 4.10 gears, its just to slow. Yesterday I had the right from axle seal replaced because it was leaking gear oil all over the front tire (I know its a common problem) so my front diff's are nearly brand new with all the effort the put into cleaning and redoing them.

Ok now to the point, I'm on my way home last night and I smell a burning smell, followed by smoke coming from under neath. Long story short, either the oil pan gasket leaked or the bolt itself leaked out oil spewing it all over my entire under carriage. I was pissed off and now have to have it towed as I fear further damage could have been done, i.e. torque converter, master cyl. who knows. I have the opportunity to pick up a beautifully done, 383 with the 727 tranny included for $1300. It has ported Stage V cast iron heads and its wonderfully done. So now to the question. What does everyone feel I'm looking at in terms of cost for the install? I realize I'll probably need new drive shafts, radiator, electric fans, etc. Will I need new gears if I have the 4.10s?? Also with the Dana 30, am I looking at new axles as well? Sorry I have so many questions. I just know there is a wealth of knowledge on here and guys with much further experience in these V8 swaps.

Nice to meet everyone and Merry Christmas to all!

See less See more
#2 ·
With that combo, IMHO, you will also need new axles. The 30 would probably handle the 35's ok, but the rear, dana 35, is pushing it limits.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas

I also have a Rio Grande that I did a 4.0/auto swap in. I did the work myself, so I can't tell you how much it would cost to "have" it done. My final cost was around $800 or so.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forums! sounds like youre eager to get this done right away, as far as turning the 35s, I think new axles would be in order, ford 8.8s are cheap and reliable, and easier to swap out. when hunting axles you can always check their gearings, try 4:56s or 4:88s :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Thanks for you replies. In reference to the Ford 8.8's, I've heard good things also about those and I'm glad they are not a bank breaker. As far as the 35's on 4.10's, I didn't put those on, they came that way. So don't make it sound like I was the idiot who did that, because I would never have geared it that way. I'm looking for helpful responses because I realize its not set up correctly...

#6 ·
In my opinion if your going to go thru the hassle of an engine swap why go backwords. What I mean by that is why put a carburated engine in it, your already injected so a newer jeep or dodge 5.2 swap is nearly a bolt in. motor mounts are the only really making it not. I used a jeep GC engine and the 4 spd overdrive auto in mine. once motor mounts are cut out and new ones welded in everything else is straight forward. the engine wiring harnes from the donor is simple, on mine the wiring was all the same color codes and theres only 7 wires you need to deal with. so when everything is said and done you have more power still fuel injected if need to pass emisions you should as long as engine is in good shape. rear axle is still an issue but sounds like your already planning to address that. good luck

#7 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. After careful planning and consideration, I have in fact decided to go carbed. Stoveguy, I understand completely why you advise why not to go backwards, however, due to budget constraints I am opting out of the FI motor. I've gotten multiple estimates and the wiring harness alone for the FI motors run upwards of $1200, not including the actual motor and tranny price and install. What I'm swapping is a 2 year warranted, Dodge 5.9L 360 with the TorqueFlight 727 transmission. I'm having the entire thing done including install for $3000 ( give or take a few if i want headers, etc. ) Its where I'm at budget wise right now, and other than sacrificing a little power overall its not much of a loss. Thanks again for the input guys, I greatly appreciate it. Project is taking about a month to complete so I'll post pics when I'm done.

#8 ·
well to add more when I done mine last march I spent a grand totall of $800 granted I traded something for the engine so add the cost of engine 1300. that was for the 5.2 out of a 94 grand cherokee,4 speed overdrive auto out of 93 grand cherokee, complete engine wiring harness out of 94 grand cherokee, trans shifter out of gran cherokee, all aluminum conversion radiator, novak motor mounts, oil filters,, tuneup parts and hoses. the grand cherokee wiring color codes all matched to the 92 4.0 wiring harness. so only had to match the wires up to proper ones total of 7 wires to hook up. fired right up first try and has ran flawlessly since. Ive helped a few guys on here with there wiring. something to consider.

#9 ·
Stoveguy, I decided to heed your advice and am going with the 5.2 out of a grand cherokee as well. Should be done within a few weeks here. I'll post pics when I'm done. I feel its a good decision especially with the dana 35 rear and 30 front. I've seen several videos and completions keeping the stock axles ( i do have the auto ) and they have all done just fine. Thanks again for your input.

#10 ·
just go easy on the skinny pedal I would recomend swaping the rear out for an 8.8 fairly easy to do. I I can give you any help let me know. If you do a search you will probally find my posts on my swap on here I started it on a thur night was driving it sun. been 100% trouble free Ive put 12000 miles on it since the swap and Im avg 18mpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.