Another LS6 powered Jeep in CT *My Build* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another LS6 powered Jeep in CT *My Build*

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
TheMudSlut
1998 ZJ 

Another LS6 powered Jeep in CT *My Build*

1991 YJ Jeep Wrangler Z06

My Goal: To build an extreme dual purpose rig that can tackle the most technical woods trails and mud holes while still being a competent 1/4 mile stoplight racer.

Feedback and suggestions welcome.

Engine: 2004 Corvette Z06 405 HP (underrated)
Bought from an insurance company with just 8K miles in excellent cond
Bargain at just 4,600 with title and mileage verification.

FRONT AXLE: Rebuilt Dana 44 from wagoner with nitro axles + ujoints, Aussie lockers + 2" spacer

REAR AXLE: undecided, looking for best bang for the buck that can take over 400 hp beatings on the road while pushing 37" tires. Possibly a Ford 9" (open to suggestion)

Transmission: undecided, leaning to a new T56 6 speed Magnum from the dodge viper. Needs to be a fast shifting transmission NO 3 second delay between gears SM240/SM456 here!! (made that mistake once ) Second choice would be possibly the NV4500.

Stock Transfercase

Paint Options: Pumpkin metallic orange like seen on some lambos or neon srt4/ Signature WRX medium metalic blue/ Metallic Midnight purple

Body: CJ front grill, CJ hood, round flush mount LED brake lights, newer wide style fender flairs.

6.5 Rocky Road SOA kit + 3" body
Yet to buy 36-38" mudders
Looking to minimize the power robbing effect the big tires will have on my acceleration onroad. My idea is stick with the lightest tire/rim combo possible similar to the Jeep lower 40 with very large lightweight rims to minimize rubber weight. Also looking to go only 10.5" wide in front and 12 in the rear to reduce drag.

Saftey: Extensive roll cage built onto stock roll bars

Passenger and Driver leather racing seats with 4 point harness

Brakes: 2003 Ford F550 HydroBoost brake system MC+BB with retrofit mounting bracket to YJ firewall and pedal.

Electrical: Autometer phantom full guage set with tac and gps speedometer. Wideband A/F Ratio monitor, 150 watt KC Daylighters window mount P and D side

Frame completely sanded down & sealed from rust, coated with gloss black non texture bedliner paint.

Underbody has been cleaned & wirebrushed and professionally undercoated

Engine bay sprayed with black bed liner paint

Interior floors have been covered and sealed in bedliner with brand new black carpeting overtop.

Dual exhaust from headers into Y pipe with electric cut out then single 3" exhaust ran to the rear. Mid system has magnaflow 3" muffler and high flow cat with no tools quick disconnect V band flanges on each side to quickly replace with test pipe out to magnaflow muffler when desired.

Much more to come... including progress pics exc.

PROJECT IS 30% COMPLETE. ENGINE IS NOT INSTALLED YET AND STILL NEED TO FIGURE OUT DRIVETRAIN. Z06 Wranger is expected to be on the road within the next 3 months.

TheMudSlut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thats absolutely awesome! i hope i see you around CT sometime to check it out
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like an awesome build!

Id rethink the suspension/body lift though. The rocky road kit wont work since you wont be using stock axles. You'd be better off with say normal perchs, high steer, RE 1.5" soa springs, traction bar, decent shocks, 1" body lift and some tj flares or fender trimming.
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
TheMudSlut
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post

Id rethink the suspension/body lift though. The rocky road kit wont work since you wont be using stock axles. You'd be better off with say normal perchs, high steer, RE 1.5" soa springs, traction bar, decent shocks, 1" body lift and some tj flares or fender trimming.
RE: LIFT

Touchy subject because I know it's not good to have a high center of gravity but at the same time I still want the jeep to look big and bad. Hey, if big foot can pull it off why can't we? I am going to be running the same exact size body and suspension lift as another well known member on here with the first LS2 powered TJ, he also lives in CT. His LS2 in stock form puts out a few less ponies as does my Z06. Who knows? maybe we can meet up and get a good stoplight battle :: This is where I stole the whole idea from Even with the tall lift and 37's he seems to have no issues. He races it at the drag strip on the weekends and has no problem blowing donuts in the dirt without it wanting to roll over.

I know the rocky road kit won't fit the diameter of Dana 44's and larger but its nothing a little light fabrication could not fix. I also already bought the full kit from Rocky Road.

I was also thinking about removable front axle straps for onroad to keep the soft suspension from rocking back under hard acceleration and keep things stable.

Check out this guys videos on youtube!

YouTube - LS2 400hp V8 Jeep wrangler TJ driven for first time

YouTube - LS2 460HP V8 Jeep Wrangler TJ doing some donuts

YouTube - LS2 400hp V8 Jeep wrangler at the drag strip
Unread 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

everytime it makes me depressed seeing the words 3" body lift on this forum.
kkchevy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I agree about the suspension about the amount of body lift, I don't know about the rocky road kit, but I don't think you need 3" of body lift along with a SOA to stuff 37's in there. 1" body lift with TJ flares will help you on your COG. I am not a big fan of anything over a 1" body lift.

Great plans and that thing will scream. make sure to post alot of pics of the build.
Unread 11-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt worry about rocking back under hard throttle and the cog could be ok with a little width/stretch. The problem will be the stock leaf springs soa wont work well mine wraps up some with a traction bar and a 4.0L. The difference with the guy with a tj is he has a RE long arm coil lift and you are using leaf springs that will wrap like spaghettio's with that amount of torque. I'd just sell the rocky road kit and buy long universal perches that will fit the axles you buy. For the rear axle I'd go 1ton without a doubt.
Unread 11-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
TheMudSlut
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I wouldnt worry about rocking back under hard throttle and the cog could be ok with a little width/stretch. The problem will be the stock leaf springs soa wont work well mine wraps up some with a traction bar and a 4.0L. The difference with the guy with a tj is he has a RE long arm coil lift and you are using leaf springs that will wrap like spaghettio's with that amount of torque. I'd just sell the rocky road kit and buy long universal perches that will fit the axles you buy. For the rear axle I'd go 1ton without a doubt.
Okay, if I buy perches and do the SOA without lift how much higher would it be then the stock SUA? About 1.5"? What are some common cheap 1 ton axles? Would that be like the ford 8.8 from a F series v8?

Can I still use my shocks I bought with the RR 6.5 SOA kit? Should I get the same articulation as the RR kit but just without any lift?

Last edited by TheMudSlut; 11-02-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Unread 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMudSlut View Post
Okay, if I buy perches and do the SOA without lift how much higher would it be then the stock SUA? About 1.5"?
No, SOA alone (with stock height springs) will get you about 5.5" of lift.

The suspension setup that you have listed will net you about 9.5" of lift. That's just crazy tall. If you want to be running 4 foot tall tires then I think you're on the right track.

About 6.5" would get you into 38" tire range without cutting.

If a 4" lift will run 33's, your 38's (5" taller) will need 2.5" more clearance since 1/2 of that extra 5" is under the wheel. So about 6.5" with some TJ flares and of corse the right bump stops will be plenty. That extra 3" will do nothing but cause you to tip over and roll a lot more easilly.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, if I buy perches and do the SOA without lift how much higher would it be then the stock SUA? About 1.5"? What are some common cheap 1 ton axles? Would that be like the ford 8.8 from a F series v8?

Can I still use my shocks I bought with the RR 6.5 SOA kit? Should I get the same articulation as the RR kit but just without any lift?
Do some researching it'll clear up most of your questions. Look in the faq about SOA.

Forget the whole RR soa stuff and just sell it. SOA(spring over axle) provides 5"-6" of lift with a stock spring once you get it done measure for shocks you'll be changing the stock mounting locations most likely anyways. The reason I suggested the RE 1.5" SOA springs is due to thier superior ability to deal with axlewrap since they have more arch than stock springs.

An 8.8 is a 1/2 ton pickup rear end like the waggy 44 front you want to run. A common 1ton rear is a 60, 70, and14bolt.
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
TheMudSlut
1998 ZJ 

I think I am going to have a set-up VERY similar to the Jeep lower forty. That thing is AWESOME looking. It has 390 HP V8 40 inch tires with 20 inch rims. I will have over 400hp probably 20 inch rims on 37's. That also uses a D44 front and D60 rear like I plan. I am very curious to find out the 0-60 and 1/4th mile on the lower forty but nothing has been published yet. I am also curious to know what the axle length is but I cannot find that either. I have decided to lean on the side of on-road performance. I am considering heavy duty springs to enhance cornering ability and steering feel but I suspect that would limit my articulation?

I also want to do a plexyglass hood window like the ZR1 corvette has to showcase the beautiful engine. I have a CJ hood so I will have to figure something out on custom fab. That is all for now. Feedback and ideas welcome.

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have decided to lean on the side of on-road performance. I am considering heavy duty springs to enhance cornering ability and steering feel but I suspect that would limit my articulation?
Time to look into 3link front/4 link rear with coilovers.
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
TheMudSlut
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Time to look into 3link front/4 link rear with coilovers.
I may do it if it is necessary but I would rather spend the money elsewhere if I could or do it later down the road. This is my idea of getting similar results for alot less money and labor.

I was thinking of using adjustable leaf spring helpers to dial in the suspension stiffness using stock springs with SOA combined with some nice extreme duty remote res shocks with a broad range of adjust ability & track bars. This way I could change the settings to a stiff ride onroad to a soft ride offroad still with acceptable articulation.

After all, even the most expensive corvettes still use leaf springs in the rear and they have higher cornering limits then supercars doubble and tripple their price tag
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
TheMudSlut
1998 ZJ 

Axles?

Hey, what's the deal with the stock D44 axles? Everyone on here states they will not support anything larger then 35's without breaking even using the stock 190HP motor. They also say that even stock 60's won't support anything over 37's with a 190hp motor on open diffs.

Then the Jeep team rolls out with the new Lower Forty jeep with 390HP AND 44 inch tires WITH lockers useing a.... get this.... DANA 44 IN FRONT!!!?? According to consensus on the forum 60's could never support 44's let alone with LOCKERS and 390 HP! You would expect from what you read on the forum that the jeep lower forty would almost instantly snap the front axle the first time the power was applied offroad but the jeep performance engineers seem to disagree. Am I missing something?
Unread 11-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMudSlut View Post
You would expect from what you read on the forum that the jeep lower forty would almost instantly snap the front axle the first time the power was applied offroad
Yeah, but there's a big difference between driving back and forth to car shows and applying 400+ HP to a single wheel that is WEDGED in between a couple huge unmovelable rocks.

400 HP plus tires that size will probably be capible or breaking most any setup in an extreme off road scenario. But it sounds like you mostly plan on impressing a few buddies at the trank and car show yourself so I wouldn;t worry about it all that much.

Now if you really want this thing for it's off road capibilities... the 400 HP motor is really not going to add all that much. Let's face it, this rig isn't about getting to places that nobody else can, because you could build a rig that could do that with the stock 2.5 and some axel gearing.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.