Another Ignition Module Failure Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another Ignition Module Failure Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Another Ignition Module Failure Thread

First off I've read almost every post I came across on this topic and haven't seen anyone with my experience so I'm starting a new thread.

4.2L
Nuttered
Weber
JuiceBox Ignition Upgrade

I burned up my first ignition module yesterday while "rescuing" my girlfriend's car from the woods she drove through. Icy roads and sharp turns don't mix.

All the upgrades listed above have been running for over 2 years with no complaints.

Jeep died while I was away from it and sat with ignition ON for a few minutes before I got back to it. Came back and it wouldn't start. I tried cranking for a few, but didn't get anywhere and then smelled the fatal electrical fire smell I'm sure we are all familiar with.

Opened the hood and let the wonderful smoke roll out. Ignition module was still cooking even with the key off. I had to disconnect the battery for it to stop.

So I replaced the module and it's been running fine. My question is did this just happen to fail that day or is something else wrong?

Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try this:

http://www.squidoo.com/jeep-tfi-team-rush-upgrade

Avoid Burning Up Your Coil With A Ballast Resistor
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If the ignition is left on (not running) with these ignition systems, they will burn up in less than a minute. Even a new module.
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Old4x
I was wondering about that. I had always been told that leaving the ignition on without the engine is running was bad, but I never really understood it. So for now unless it happens again I will write this off as leaving the ignition on burned up my ignition module.

Que89yj
Excellent site I definitely bookmarked it. If I every have a coil problem I'll look into adding a resister and come to think of it I may run out this weekend and check the voltage at my coil.
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Are you using a Duraspark style module?
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm using one of these. I bought it at NAPA. I think it was labeled TP-40
ignition-module.jpg  
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another thing to check, are you still using the factory resistance wire to power the coil? Running a full 12 volts to it could also end in premature icm failure.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

That is the duraspark style. Remember to turn ignition off when not running the engine. No radio playing when parked except in accessory position.

You can do the GM ICM mod if you keep having problems. Those ICMs are much better than the duraspark, and are internally regulated, they do not run an external resistor, that means hotter spark at idle. Only $25, most with a lifetime guarantee.
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Old4x
Excellent thanks for the info. If this one burns up within the next year I'll go with a GM ICM mode. I already started looking at it. Jeep is getting rewired this summer so I may add it to the list.

Yellow2kgt
I performed the nutter bypass and ran new wire from the ignition module to the coil so I'm going to guess and say that I am not using the resistance wire originally used. I'll have to pull out the diagrams and figure out which one that is. I hate all these "fusible links" and "Resistance wires" this summer they are all getting replaced with modern components. Checking the coil voltage is at the top of my list once the snow stops falling.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.