Another Hard to Start Cranks forever (fuel pump) Question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another Hard to Start Cranks forever (fuel pump) Question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 10-19-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
skippr95YJ

Another Hard to Start Cranks forever (fuel pump) Question.

Greetings. New to thread. I apologize if this has been covered.
Just bought a 95YJ 2.5L fuel injected. Have already searched and reviewed fuel pump problem threads and suspect this may be a fuel pump problem. BUT....just in case I thought I would put the symptoms out.
In the morning, the YJ just cranks without firing. Good battery - good power.
When the key is turned on you cannot hear the fuel pump operating.
Leaving the key on (and cranking a few times) 5 minutes later you can hear the fuel pump come on. She fires up fine and runs like a top! After that, during the day sometimes the fuel pump engages and sometimes not during starting. Almost always after 5 minutes. The fuel pump finally goes on and it starts right up.
I have changed the fuel pump relay. That did not help. I have changed the fuel filter. It did not help. (by the way, is the fuel pump relay supposed to make a clicking sound when it's working?). Any other ideas? The car dealership I bought this from did a steam or pressure wash of the engine compartment. I did replace the TPS for an earlier code 24. That fixed that problem. The gas tank has new bolts holding it up indicating maybe it's been lowered and perhaps work done with it (or in it - fuel pump?) Can fuel pumps go bad soon after they're installed? Thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

skippr95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
paintguy

try turning the key on then off, on then off, on then off -- pause about three seconds each time -- then try to start her.
Sounds like a faulty fuel pump though -- easy to replace.
paintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
jeeplover27

I've got a 90 Yj and it did the same thing. I took it out and ran gas through it to wash out any debris. For some reason it didn't have a filter on the gas pickup end. Anyway after that it worked good for about 2 months then it happened again so I just replaced it. It only took about 1 1/2 hrs and fixed the problem. The old one, sometimes it would work and sometimes it just wouldn't. Good luck!
jeeplover27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
skippr95YJ

Thanks

Thanks folks. Appreciate the feedback. I'm in the middle of a move so I don't have the time to fix it myself. Called the jeep service dealer near where I've moved. They quoted 2 hours labor at $120 bucks and $97 for the pump. Does this sound within reason for a dealership? It sounded good to me. I thought the Mopar pump would be more than that. Appreciate your feedback.
Unread 10-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
skippr95YJ

Turns out it's the computer!

FYI, I just got my YJ back from the dealer. They say it's the ECM or computer that has the problem and not the fuel pump. $600 including installation. So I'm inclined to find one myself. It shouldn't be that hard to replace. But they seem to be hard to find. Anybody know where you can get a used or rebuilt computer for a YJ?
Unread 10-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
coolgreen

My computer also blew up

I had crazy quotes to replace my computer as well. The dealer wanted almost $700 just for the part, which is on back order. A used one was going for $500. What, are these things made of gold or something?

I finally found one for $50 at Rock Auto. I ordered it the other day, but as it is coming from the U.S. to Canada it will take about a week to get here.

Check rockauto.com
coolgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
skippr95YJ

Replaced Capacitors on Computer

For this specific problem, I had an interesting development today. After reading some very informative posts on this forum and newsgroups, I encountered some folks who had typically replaced the 3 electrolytic capacitors that filter the voltage running through the computer. Apparently these things fail fairly easily after 5-10 years. So I took a gamble and removed my ecm (computer) from my 95 YJ and opened it up. It was obviously made not to be serviceable in that the circuit board was immersed in an inch of semi-clear reddish rubberized waterproof insulation. I could see the 3 capacitors whose ends were protruding from the insulation. 2 of the 3 were cracked and oxidized. Visually bad. I painstakenly removed the rubber insulation from around each 3 capacitors (with an exacto blade) and then carefully used a dremel tool cutoff wheel to cut shallow access holes through the plastic housing on the other side (estimating where the Capacitor locations where). I carefully cut-away the rubberized insulation around the capacitor leads on the opposite side (bottom). I then de-soldered the leads and removed the old capacitors. All 3 CAPS were the same rating 20 micro farad rated at 25 volts. I soldered in radio-shack replacement caps 22 micro farad rated at 35 volts. (higher voltage is OK - Not lower). I noted the orientation of the original caps and was careful not to install the CAPS backwards, they will fail (could explode). For a quick test I took the unsealed unit with the new caps out to the YJ - and it fired right up. Fixed the problem!

The jury is still out on how long this will last, based on my solder job, the quality of the CAPS and other factors. But it would seem I repaired my computer (that the dealer wanted $600 for) - with $1.50 worth of radio shack electrolytic caps and 3 hours of my time. I will follow-up in the next few days with an update. This evening I have covered the exposed caps and cut-away areas with a clear water-proof Goop type glue. It should be better than the original (and existing) waterproof insulation. I hope this might help someone.
Unread 05-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
gkdlbat

I have the same problem with my 95 2.5L. I can get a ECM for $245 at local auto parts store. I like the idea of radio shack but I need to get it fixed asap.
gkdlbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good job and nice write up. I also have the sealed computer. I will keep that in mind as I already changed mine out two years ago with the same problem. Why are you so late writing about this? hehe
Unread 05-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
JacobGibson05

I'm having the same problem can someone tell me where the fuel pump reley is?
JacobGibson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobGibson05
I'm having the same problem can someone tell me where the fuel pump reley is?
It is in the Power Control Center just in front of the battery. Under the cover it will tell you what relay it is.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.