Another Hand Throttle Write Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another Hand Throttle Write Up

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Blazin Den
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another Hand Throttle Write Up

I went and ordered the RE Hand Throttle Kit and installed it this weekend. I know the pics are big but i did it that way in case any one needed a close up of what i did.

Start of the Project

Pilot Hole Drilled For Bracket

Next Is to find a spot of the fire wall to run the cable. I went right under where the wires are comin out on the firewall. The red wire is for my fuse box that installed to run other stuff like cb, lights, etc.

Now go to the inside. Take off you shift knob, and put the Hand throttle on where you want it. Take the cable and cut one of the ends to slide the cable through the casing. Make sure you cut the right end.
I have the cable running down the shifter, along the floor, up the firewall and then going to the engine bay.

I routed the cable behind the big wire harness on the firewall and around to on top of the vavle cover where the cruise control cable would go.

Now go out to the engine bay and mount the bracket for the hand throttle.
I originally had the bracket like this but switched it to the look like in the 2nd pic. You cant really see it but it in one the inside instead of the outside.

Now instead of wrapping the wiring around the knob opposite of the throttle cable where the cruise control would be and crimping it i stopped by the junk yard and cut a throttle cable on an XJ and used the black plastic end end off of it. I pulled the cable tight and put the crimp on the end of the black piece. This fits right on the knob and will not slip off.
To show you what i mean here is the yj return spring and the end off the xj.

Finished

i look at a couple writeups before i did mine and here they are. there are more out there but i used these ones.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/handthrottle.html
http://personalpages.tds.net/~larsonj/HandThrot.htm
http://www.nakedjeep.com/Projects/Ha...hrottle01.html

95 White YJ 2.5L/AX-5 Stock on 31s. Ground Pounder Fab (BESRK) Front Bumper, Herculined Interior, Windshield/Front Bumper Mounted Lights, Uniden PRO 520XL Cb,Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Bestop Supertop, Modified CJ7 Hardtop and CJ7 Twist Handle Full Doors (winter)

Last edited by Blazin Den; 04-23-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Blazin Den is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
heep1991
2007 JK Wrangler 

The more I see this the more I want to install on my Jeep.. great write up
heep1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
tnachidester
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very interesting. I have never herd of useing a hand throttle and was woundering what the advantages are?
tnachidester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Rustbucket83
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I used mine to rev up the engine and build more air pressure for OBA system while using impacts and such.
Rustbucket83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
titoheadfaceman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! I put mine in the same position on the shifter. Works great as a cruise control. The only difference was I ran mine down through the shifter boot to the outside underneath, ran it alongside other lines in the transmission tunnel, and then up the the throttle body.
titoheadfaceman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Man. I guess when i figure out how to rig mine.. ill make a write up.. for us carbed guys.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
90jeepyj09
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ya i need to figure out how to hook that up to the carb also

[B]HARDTOP FOR SALE: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/price-lowered-need-hardtop-gone-asap-1028070/[/url][/B]

[QUOTE=JDNightFox;9210806]Obviously, you haven't taken Physics.

The terminal velocity of the square headlights is directionally preportional to the force of gravity decelerating the front wheels while the alternator is spinning at 3000 rpm's, minus the friction of the bumper pushing against the airflow with the 13 volt current the steering column is using during the time the vacuum motor is disengaged, but the mirrors must be directionally angled from the driver's window because the hood latches deflect the light refractioning down through the Nitrogen coat on the hood.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #296[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
90jeepyj09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I built my own hand throttle. I have the Howell TBI kit, but I hooked it up to stock parts, so it would still work with the carb. I'm headed off to work shortly (I work graveyard shift), shoot me a PM and I'll try to get you some pics in the next day or two.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I built my own hand throttle. I have the Howell TBI kit, but I hooked it up to stock parts, so it would still work with the carb. I'm headed off to work shortly (I work graveyard shift), shoot me a PM and I'll try to get you some pics in the next day or two.
wow over a year later and still no pics of your tbi hand throttle. tisk tisk tisk

I want to do this once I get my tbi running correct. If you can put the pics up I'd appericate it bro. Thx
tommbstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.