ANOTHER gas Leak???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ANOTHER gas Leak????

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
MEW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ANOTHER gas Leak????

So I'm leaving for work this morning and I smell fuel again. I throw down a towel and look under the jeep. I see nothing so, without getting my work clothes dirty, I stick my nose uder to I can sniff it out literally. Just in front of the driver rear tire, along the insider rail frame...I see fuel crawling along the rail. I'm going to get under there in my grubbies tonight but anyone know what I might encounter there? Rubber hose along there? filter? I just have not run the legnth of the fuel system and I'd like to get it handled tonight. Thanks

MEW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the 90 degree hose to the filter went on you. It is easy to fix although it is a dealer only part.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's pretty much where the filter is... could be rusted line, rotted rubber connections where the filter connects, or a rusted (or clogged) filter.

If you haven't done it in a while, might be a good place to start by replacing the filter anyway and the short pieces of rubber line that connect it

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
MEW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks...are all of those dealer only parts? I can run by an auto zone but not likely a dealer
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The filter and rubber line(s) and new clamps should be available at just about any NAPA, auto zone, advance, pep boys, etc, etc.
on the rubber line, you're just getting a foot or two of hose (I forget, either 5/16 or 3/8), but you'll need FUEL INJECTION hose (not regular fuel line). regular fuel hose isn't made to handle the higher pressure... same with the hose clamps - use clamps rated for fuel injection.

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
MEW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The 90 elbow is a dealer only part. It is such a sharp 90 that you have to use the dealer part. If I remember correctly the two end of the 90 elbow are different sizes too.

Trust me, you cannot get it at the auto parts. Maybe online at a Jeep site, for sure the dealer. Call your Jeep dealer tomorrow, they should have it in stock. Mine did. Change your fuel filter while you are there.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
MEW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I got up under there this weekend. Before I started her I looked up under there and those are the parts my guy replaced just a few months ago. Didn't realize that til I got up there. That is what I was referring to on the title to this thread. So two elbows, filter and the clamps are all sparkling new. I start here and climb back under there. Nothing, nada, zip. No leak. I wiggled it, I shook it, I pushed and pulled. No leak. The ONLY variable that I can think of between friday morning and saturday late afternoon when I looked, was outside temp. Is air temp a factor? Did not leak this morning either. But man it was coming out friday morning. Stumped
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
MEW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So BIG BUMP....same thing this morning. First time in a LONG time it has been "chilly" overnight. Jeep has been running leak free all summer. Start her (again in work clothes so I can't get down and dirty yet) and VIOLA, leaking from the same area. To refresh, my mechanic did replace all the filter and hoses...will check for hose clamps. But wondering if I have a combo of pressure related leak and it's made worse or only leaks with cooler temps. I'm hoping to get up under there in daylight with proper clothes...but would love to stop at auto parts on way home IF I need parts. Crap, leaking good this morning. at $4.35 a gallon.
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I had that problem once just out of nowhere so I removed all the lines cleaned the steel line with a scrubbing pad put on new hose and clamps and no issues. Somehow the connection or the way the hose is seated it has a void and when cool it leaks. Just doesn't sound right but it happens.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.