Another frame swap, then build thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another frame swap, then build thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #76
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Good for, or Go for?

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html $390
Na, the benefits? Just to aid in braking? Sorry I'm ignorant. Or why did you install it for your purposes?

sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #77
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotcarter View Post
Na, the benefits? Just to aid in braking? Sorry I'm ignorant. Or why did you install it for your purposes?
Substainal braking when off roading. Connected to the drive train, and on steep slopes, braking front and rear (when in 4wd) . Also the 8.8 parking brake sucked.
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #78
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any particular reason for the dual batteries? They will give you power for longer with the motor off, but the second battery becomes an additional load on the alternator when running. A single high quality battery will generally work better for most applications. The rest looks real good. This weather sure doesn't help drive the ambition up to run out in the cold to work on it does it.
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #79
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
Any particular reason for the dual batteries? They will give you power for longer with the motor off, but the second battery becomes an additional load on the alternator when running. A single high quality battery will generally work better for most applications. The rest looks real good. This weather sure doesn't help drive the ambition up to run out in the cold to work on it does it.
I have a garage w a wood stove, cold (other than getting the tub on/off) isn;t an issue.

The dual battery is a common upgrade... with a hi AMP alternator. its upgraded from 90 to 136 amp.

with long winching the duals are great. but add multiple off road lights, and extended idle, slow speed crawling its a nice reserve power supply...

I'm already running a DieHard platinum battery and 2 in my full size...

Hummer Intake
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #80
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the dual battery is a common upgrade, but also a common misconception. A 135 amp alternator really isn't that big, most dual battery equiped vehicles run at least 200 amps or dual alternators. We run a lot of heavy loads on vehicles at work and use substantially higher output alternators, 280 amp+ range and still limit the batteries to 1 vehicle and 1 aux. Not trying to hate just want you to be aware. Any shot at being ready for the snow run in feb?
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #81
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
Yes the dual battery is a common upgrade, but also a common misconception. A 135 amp alternator really isn't that big, most dual battery equiped vehicles run at least 200 amps or dual alternators. We run a lot of heavy loads on vehicles at work and use substantially higher output alternators, 280 amp+ range and still limit the batteries to 1 vehicle and 1 aux. Not trying to hate just want you to be aware. Any shot at being ready for the snow run in feb?

Your kidding right? My 3/4 ton chevy with heavy duty plow and tow package and dual batteries is only running a 145 amp alt. Factory set up. 200 amp alts are aftermarket or special orders usually..

I'm very aware of the install. its just a little extra insurance / reserve. Again when jeeping and winching, there may be alot of idle time and you don't get full amperage recharging at the low rpms..

I'm trying for mid Feb, but doubtful. alot of little things to do...

Hummer Intake
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #82
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice frame swap. You definitely took care of most things while you had it under the knife. That Parts Mike bracket is beef and it will do the trick. I put mine on a month or so ago. It fixed all my clearance issues. I'm running a stock TJ pitman arm currently.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #83
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah chevy still has them on the smaller side, only 160 amp is typical, but the fords use a dual alternator setup with twin 120's. We typically use a 280 amp unit from dc power for the suburbans we do, and they even make us a 270 amp for the subaru foresters we build. Mid feb would put you right there, never know.
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #84
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Nice frame swap. You definitely took care of most things while you had it under the knife. That Parts Mike bracket is beef and it will do the trick. I put mine on a month or so ago. It fixed all my clearance issues. I'm running a stock TJ pitman arm currently.
Did you end up getting a longer steering shaft. Its gonna be right on the edge of full extension... I see it really can't come apart once installed... I was thinking about cutting 3" off the old one and welding an extension to the outer shaft of the new one.

Why the TJ pitman? I have a stock YJ pitman for use...

Hummer Intake
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #85
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

My rocksliders are only secured to the tub... Last wheeling trip, I came down on a rock, catching the slider and bending it out 1.5"..It was a hard fall...

so I made some body mount tie in straps. They catch the BM bolts and then I welded them to the sliders..

Fabbed my dual battery tray, Thanks to Texas YJ's thread..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...ite-up-889057/

Then Bolted the tub back down....
sliders-tieins.jpg   battery2.jpg  

Hummer Intake
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #86
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Did you end up getting a longer steering shaft. Its gonna be right on the edge of full extension... I see it really can't come apart once installed... I was thinking about cutting 3" off the old one and welding an extension to the outer shaft of the new one.

Why the TJ pitman? I have a stock YJ pitman for use...
Mine is on the edge right now also. I plan on extending it as you are planning to do I just need a welder (which I will have this weekend!). As for the TJ pitman arm, I tried to flatten my stock one about 8 months ago and it didn't go so well. I was running a shorty made of billet steel but I didn't have the turning radius I use to. I finally found the TJ one for a decent price from a JF member.

Good call on welding the body mounts on the frame. Mine are bad. This is 2 trips ago. They are even worse now.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #87
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Mine is on the edge right now also. I plan on extending it as you are planning to do I just need a welder (which I will have this weekend!). As for the TJ pitman arm, I tried to flatten my stock one about 8 months ago and it didn't go so well. I was running a shorty made of billet steel but I didn't have the turning radius I use to. I finally found the TJ one for a decent price from a JF member.

Good call on welding the body mounts on the frame. Mine are bad. This is 2 trips ago. They are even worse now.

Yeah, that sucks. Dumb design. A quick fix, sort of..Once you get all the BM bolts loose and tub jacked up and a BFH and then a few minutes welding..

Hummer Intake
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #88
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Productive day...

Got the exhaust back in and hung... Had to modify the hangers etc and shorten the tail pipe, where is exits the muffler, the hump was hitting the frame.. Moved the whole tail pipe forward an inch...

Also got the Marquis MC installed, brake lines connected and bleed. One of my speed bleeders was not working so I had to do the driver rear the old fashion way.. I can already feel the extra resistance/push with the peddle..
brakes.jpg  

Hummer Intake
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #89
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Replaced the heater core hoses with new...

Also got the steering together. With the steering box relocator, the steering shaft was at the edge of max extension... Once installed it would probably be fine but I lengthened the outer shaft by 3" just for the hell of it... Still had the old shaft for doner part...

Also bleed the steering fluid and connected the Rustys drag link back up..

BTW, its a Durango box, if you missed it..
steering4.jpg   steering3.jpg   steering2.jpg   steering1.jpg   steering.jpg  

Hummer Intake
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #90
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Started the day flexing her out so I could order new shocks... Order placed for some bilstien 5100's x4

Radiator and installed tarus fan and volvo relay

started some wiring.

finished the nose clip

Very productive day..

Had a close call as I was cleaning up.....Reached into the garage beer fridge, and they were almost frozen...Slush beer. I had to turn the cooling to low...Crisis adverted
flex1.jpg   flex3.jpg   taurus-fan1.jpg   battery3.jpg   assmebly5.jpg  

Hummer Intake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.