Another frame swap, then build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another frame swap, then build thread

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Easy part done. Stripped the frame, Cleaned the garage and moved it inside...

Tomorrow, wire brushing, grinding off uneeded brackets and paint... There isn't alot of work to be done, This frame is super clean

garage.jpg   frames-stripped.jpg   frames-stripped1.jpg  
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For $500 that frame looks really nice! Are you going to do any further stripping to the frame or just paint it up?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I spent a month working on my replacement frame while it was naked. Worked on shock mounts, motor mounts, and took off those rust prone front doubler panels.
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by responder View Post
For $500 that frame looks really nice! Are you going to do any further stripping to the frame or just paint it up?
What Don said above... Gonna add some shock mounts etc, and wire brush down the frame, although most if it doesn't need it, before painting the whole thing

ordered the Eastwood internal frame paint as well..
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't know there was special internal frame paint. I suspect the kit comes with some sort of hose sprayer to apply it. That could be handy to have later. On mine, I drilled a 1.5" hole on the bottom of both main rails at the very very back, immediately before the rear bumper mount. As a mud defense, I was going to make a small nozzle for some thin hose, park the Jeep on a steep incline, feed the thin hose into the frame from the front and let it wash out the frame to the rear holes. Of course I then moved from upstate NY to Albuquerque, where there is pretty much no mud or moisture.
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #21
shippey-ki-yay
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
shippey-ki-yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got it! The reason I ask is that my tub is coming off this weekend. Need todo some timeline planning.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #23
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I didn't know there was special internal frame paint. I suspect the kit comes with some sort of hose sprayer to apply it. That could be handy to have later. On mine, I drilled a 1.5" hole on the bottom of both main rails at the very very back, immediately before the rear bumper mount. As a mud defense, I was going to make a small nozzle for some thin hose, park the Jeep on a steep incline, feed the thin hose into the frame from the front and let it wash out the frame to the rear holes. Of course I then moved from upstate NY to Albuquerque, where there is pretty much no mud or moisture.
Don...

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...RCCODE=1SE0761

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got all the crap cut off... Frame wire brushed.... Welded the body mount brackets that sag cause Jeep never welded the tops..... Mounted my MORE extended shock mounts front and rear. (I already had them but never installed) Welded them in place instead of messing with the bolts... Metal prepped the frame and one coat of POR
prep-paint-2-.jpg   prep-paint-3-.jpg   prep-paint-4-.jpg   prep-paint-5-.jpg   prep-paint-6-.jpg  

prep-paint-7-.jpg   prep-paint-9-.jpg  

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #25
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd redo the rear shock mounts. Any flat plate or pocket will will rust where you live. The stock rear shocks mounts have a pocket just waiting to catch dirt and mud, then let it soak up water and rust. I removed those mounts completely for a clean frame there and fabbed a pair with no pocket. It's easy to fab when you have the nice bolt-on shock main bolt.

I also ground off those two side plates in the front. They are just there to reinforce the tie down slots for new Jeep train transport. Lastly, take off the odd little plates from under side of the frame about below the rear shock mounts (two bolts). That small plate used to have a rubber bump stop on it to keep the axle wrap of flat OEM springs from slapping the frame. The rubber long rotted off and now it just holds moisture and rusts the frame.
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #26
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice friggen work man. Also some good tips from Don.

Very jelious of the garage.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #27
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd redo the rear shock mounts. Any flat plate or pocket will will rust where you live. The stock rear shocks mounts have a pocket just waiting to catch dirt and mud, then let it soak up water and rust. I removed those mounts completely for a clean frame there and fabbed a pair with no pocket. It's easy to fab when you have the nice bolt-on shock main bolt.

I also ground off those two side plates in the front. They are just there to reinforce the tie down slots for new Jeep train transport. Lastly, take off the odd little plates from under side of the frame about below the rear shock mounts (two bolts). That small plate used to have a rubber bump stop on it to keep the axle wrap of flat OEM springs from slapping the frame. The rubber long rotted off and now it just holds moisture and rusts the frame.
I did drill drain holes for the shock pockets..But I do like the idea of making them cleaner looking... Don, can you post up a pick of your rear shock mount? Thanks

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Don, can you post up a pick of your rear shock mount? Thanks
Here you go. It's welded of 3/16 channel and just welded to the top of the frame. The location of the shock mount pin is higher and more forward than the OEM pin. You can look at the Jeep tub on the old frame now to see how much you can move things. This allowed for a longer shock. The back side (outside) that you can't see is just the channel on the frame, which is easy to hose out so nothing will rot anything.

You can see to the left of the new mount the bad spot where the OEM mount had already caused rust to start to dig into the frame.

Unread 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here you go. It's welded of 3/16 channel and just welded to the top of the frame. The location of the shock mount pin is higher and more forward than the OEM pin. You can look at the Jeep tub on the old frame now to see how much you can move things. This allowed for a longer shock. The back side (outside) that you can't see is just the channel on the frame, which is easy to hose out so nothing will rot anything.

You can see to the left of the new mount the bad spot where the OEM mount had already caused rust to start to dig into the frame.

Thanks!

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #30
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Redid the shock mounts, Had the MORE brackets that I already welded so I couldnt send em back so...to the cutting wheel and welded up after I removed the factory mounts.
shock-mnts1.jpg   shock-mnts.jpg  

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.