Another frame swap, then build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another frame swap, then build thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Reply
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,790
Easy part done. Stripped the frame, Cleaned the garage and moved it inside...

Tomorrow, wire brushing, grinding off uneeded brackets and paint... There isn't alot of work to be done, This frame is super clean

garage.jpg   frames-stripped.jpg   frames-stripped1.jpg  
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
responder
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Prudhomme, SK
Posts: 333
For $500 that frame looks really nice! Are you going to do any further stripping to the frame or just paint it up?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 6,634
I spent a month working on my replacement frame while it was naked. Worked on shock mounts, motor mounts, and took off those rust prone front doubler panels.
__________________
'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3 Vortec V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(w/WarnHubs), 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM2's, AX15, 15x7 wheels, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000, no top or doors Apr-Oct.
Member and Web guy: New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by responder View Post
For $500 that frame looks really nice! Are you going to do any further stripping to the frame or just paint it up?
What Don said above... Gonna add some shock mounts etc, and wire brush down the frame, although most if it doesn't need it, before painting the whole thing

ordered the Eastwood internal frame paint as well..
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 6,634
I didn't know there was special internal frame paint. I suspect the kit comes with some sort of hose sprayer to apply it. That could be handy to have later. On mine, I drilled a 1.5" hole on the bottom of both main rails at the very very back, immediately before the rear bumper mount. As a mud defense, I was going to make a small nozzle for some thin hose, park the Jeep on a steep incline, feed the thin hose into the frame from the front and let it wash out the frame to the rear holes. Of course I then moved from upstate NY to Albuquerque, where there is pretty much no mud or moisture.
__________________
'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3 Vortec V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(w/WarnHubs), 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM2's, AX15, 15x7 wheels, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000, no top or doors Apr-Oct.
Member and Web guy: New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #21
shippey-ki-yay
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 210
http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
shippey-ki-yay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
responder
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Prudhomme, SK
Posts: 333
Got it! The reason I ask is that my tub is coming off this weekend. Need todo some timeline planning.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I didn't know there was special internal frame paint. I suspect the kit comes with some sort of hose sprayer to apply it. That could be handy to have later. On mine, I drilled a 1.5" hole on the bottom of both main rails at the very very back, immediately before the rear bumper mount. As a mud defense, I was going to make a small nozzle for some thin hose, park the Jeep on a steep incline, feed the thin hose into the frame from the front and let it wash out the frame to the rear holes. Of course I then moved from upstate NY to Albuquerque, where there is pretty much no mud or moisture.
Don...

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...RCCODE=1SE0761
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,790
Got all the crap cut off... Frame wire brushed.... Welded the body mount brackets that sag cause Jeep never welded the tops..... Mounted my MORE extended shock mounts front and rear. (I already had them but never installed) Welded them in place instead of messing with the bolts... Metal prepped the frame and one coat of POR
prep-paint-2-.jpg   prep-paint-3-.jpg   prep-paint-4-.jpg   prep-paint-5-.jpg   prep-paint-6-.jpg  

prep-paint-7-.jpg   prep-paint-9-.jpg  
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 6,634
I'd redo the rear shock mounts. Any flat plate or pocket will will rust where you live. The stock rear shocks mounts have a pocket just waiting to catch dirt and mud, then let it soak up water and rust. I removed those mounts completely for a clean frame there and fabbed a pair with no pocket. It's easy to fab when you have the nice bolt-on shock main bolt.

I also ground off those two side plates in the front. They are just there to reinforce the tie down slots for new Jeep train transport. Lastly, take off the odd little plates from under side of the frame about below the rear shock mounts (two bolts). That small plate used to have a rubber bump stop on it to keep the axle wrap of flat OEM springs from slapping the frame. The rubber long rotted off and now it just holds moisture and rusts the frame.
__________________
'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3 Vortec V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(w/WarnHubs), 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM2's, AX15, 15x7 wheels, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000, no top or doors Apr-Oct.
Member and Web guy: New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #26
sdotcarter
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Kent, Me
Posts: 770
Nice friggen work man. Also some good tips from Don.

Very jelious of the garage.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I'd redo the rear shock mounts. Any flat plate or pocket will will rust where you live. The stock rear shocks mounts have a pocket just waiting to catch dirt and mud, then let it soak up water and rust. I removed those mounts completely for a clean frame there and fabbed a pair with no pocket. It's easy to fab when you have the nice bolt-on shock main bolt.

I also ground off those two side plates in the front. They are just there to reinforce the tie down slots for new Jeep train transport. Lastly, take off the odd little plates from under side of the frame about below the rear shock mounts (two bolts). That small plate used to have a rubber bump stop on it to keep the axle wrap of flat OEM springs from slapping the frame. The rubber long rotted off and now it just holds moisture and rusts the frame.
I did drill drain holes for the shock pockets..But I do like the idea of making them cleaner looking... Don, can you post up a pick of your rear shock mount? Thanks
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 6,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Don, can you post up a pick of your rear shock mount? Thanks
Here you go. It's welded of 3/16 channel and just welded to the top of the frame. The location of the shock mount pin is higher and more forward than the OEM pin. You can look at the Jeep tub on the old frame now to see how much you can move things. This allowed for a longer shock. The back side (outside) that you can't see is just the channel on the frame, which is easy to hose out so nothing will rot anything.

You can see to the left of the new mount the bad spot where the OEM mount had already caused rust to start to dig into the frame.

__________________
'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3 Vortec V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(w/WarnHubs), 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM2's, AX15, 15x7 wheels, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000, no top or doors Apr-Oct.
Member and Web guy: New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Here you go. It's welded of 3/16 channel and just welded to the top of the frame. The location of the shock mount pin is higher and more forward than the OEM pin. You can look at the Jeep tub on the old frame now to see how much you can move things. This allowed for a longer shock. The back side (outside) that you can't see is just the channel on the frame, which is easy to hose out so nothing will rot anything.

You can see to the left of the new mount the bad spot where the OEM mount had already caused rust to start to dig into the frame.

Thanks!
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,790
Redid the shock mounts, Had the MORE brackets that I already welded so I couldnt send em back so...to the cutting wheel and welded up after I removed the factory mounts.
shock-mnts1.jpg   shock-mnts.jpg  
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.