Another driveshaft question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another driveshaft question

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
TECUMSEH
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Another driveshaft question

Im getting ready to put 4" lift on my 93 YJ. I have an 8.8 but havent got it ready yet. Looking at some 33 or 35 tires. If i order Tom Woods drive shaft and run it on the stock 35 until it goes, when i install my 8.8 and change the angle am i going to have to cut the drive shaft or will it work?

TECUMSEH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

the 8.8 pinion is longer than the D35 so your drive shaft could end up being be too long
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A couple of different things...
Are you installing an sye or do you already have one?
What kind of Drive shaft are you ordering, a 2 joint shaft(like stock) or a DC(double cardin) drive shaft?

You can not inter mix this stuff.
A setup with an sye is not compatible with a 2 joint drive shaft.
And visa versa...A dc drive shaft won't work with a stock slip yoke.
(at least pinion angle wise)

Length wise. I had my dc drive shaft made with a 4 inch slip joint, for some extra wiggle room.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
TECUMSEH
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
A couple of different things...
Are you installing an sye or do you already have one?
What kind of Drive shaft are you ordering, a 2 joint shaft(like stock) or a DC(double cardin) drive shaft?

You can not inter mix this stuff.
A setup with an sye is not compatible with a 2 joint drive shaft.
And visa versa...A dc drive shaft won't work with a stock slip yoke.
(at least pinion angle wise)

Length wise. I had my dc drive shaft made with a 4 inch slip joint, for some extra wiggle room.
I will get the sye, as far as the driveshaft i can order the dc or regular, maybe you could help me there also.
TECUMSEH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When you order your shaft from Tom woods, call them and tell them about your 8.8 swap and that you want the shaft made about 1/2" - 1" shorter. You usually have about 5-7" of slip travel available (depending on the splines you choose) and probably wont use all of that. Normal driving maybe uses 1/2" each way.
Unread 04-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK here's how I see it. If you order the Tom Woods shaft (which I would recommend, best service and shafts in the industry) drop the 8.8 into it and the shaft is then too long you can send it back to them to have it shortened and rebalanced.

Now what I don't know is what it will cost you. I just ordered a front and a rear from them and I measured wrong and they are both 2" too long. I called them and explained what happened they said to send it back to them when I am ready and they will cut it down and balance it for free. However I am not sure how they would feel about doing that for free on an axle that has been run for a while. Your best bet would be to call them and ask.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000
When you order your shaft from Tom woods, call them and tell them about your 8.8 swap and that you want the shaft made about 1/2" - 1" shorter. You usually have about 5-7" of slip travel available (depending on the splines you choose) and probably wont use all of that. Normal driving maybe uses 1/2" each way.
This..^^.

I did exactly what you are doing, one option is when you swap in the 8.8, you could take the shaft to a local DS shop and they could cut it down and rebalance it for you for like $50.00 if you need it longer. Tom Woods will prob be able to fix you up without having to do anything to it though.

If you install the SYE (recommended) you will need the DC shaft if you keep the slip joint on you TC you will need the shaft like you have just longer. SYE will cost you more but will certainly help with the vibes and be stronger plus you can drive without it in front wheel drive and not loose your TC fluid.
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.