Another Dana 35 question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another Dana 35 question!

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 03-13-2004, 03:21 AM   #1
Lewis

Another Dana 35 question!

First, I did a search but didn't come up with anything that matches up with the mods already done to my axle.

Hear is the deal. When I bought this YJ it already had alot of stuff done to it, including to the drivetrain, but the axle is still the 35. It's a 1990 YJ, 4.2Liter and 5 speed. The axles have been regeared to 4:10 and had the Detroit True Track limited slip put in the rear. It has a Woods CV driveshaft and a slip yoke eliminator. It's got 4 1/2" total lift and 33" BFG ATRs.

I do kind of mid level wheeling in eastern Ky and southern In. I'm not that great a mechanic, so I don't really want to completely swap out the axle. What are some upgrades that would help strengthen it some. Thanks in advance.

I've only been wheeling once since I've had this rig and I had no problems, but I keep hearing everyone talk about breaking C clips.

Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 06:09 AM   #2
90wrglr

The only way I know to beef up a D35 is the Super 35 kit at the tone of nearly $1000. It will give you a new carrier with Detroit locker and larger 31 spline axles.

Or replace the 35.....
90wrglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 08:08 AM   #3
Brock

Just drive it until you break the d35. Then put in a 8.8. For Gods sake, don't put any money into the d35. For the price of the super 35 kit, you can find a 8.8 with 4.10 factory gearing, pay someone to install and throw in a locker.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
Just drive it until you break the d35. Then put in a 8.8. For Gods sake, don't put any money into the d35. For the price of the super 35 kit, you can find a 8.8 with 4.10 factory gearing, pay someone to install and throw in a locker.
agreed....
an 8.8 is an easy install for an amateur with good directions skills and a few tools. it is available with stock 4.10 gears.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
Lewis

That's pretty much what I thought. When I look for an 8.8, should I look for one from a Ranger or some other model. I know they come on alot of Fords. I actually had an 89 5.0 Mustang with and 8.8 with 4:10 gears.
Unread 03-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

you do NOT want one from a ranger. you want an explorer or mercury mountaineer rear end. 31 spline.

Unread 03-14-2004, 04:53 AM   #7
Lewis

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping that since I only have a limited slip and not a true locker I can go for a while without breaking it. We'll see.
Unread 03-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Brock

When you do go for the 8.8, just get one from a late 90's explorer or mountaineer like Nailer341 said. They have disk brakes and the larger spline axle. When I start to build my Wrangler, I will do the same.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2004, 06:28 PM   #9
Lewis

My plan right now is to just leave it alone this summer and not get crazy on the trails. Buy parts and get everything ready to swap it out over the next cold season. I've got a couple of hook ups that will help. I know a guy that is putting a Dana 60 rear in his CJ that will sell me the D44 that he had already put in for next to nothing. One way or another I'll switch it out. I hate having to worry about stupid crap.
Unread 03-14-2004, 06:46 PM   #10
ewander

The 8.8 is the way to go. The problem with swapping in your buddies D44 is that the bolt pattern would not match your front axle. If you plan on doing the front axle also then it is not a big deal. I have the 8.8 in mine right now and really like it. I am not much of a mechanic and did the entire swap myself. Many of them come with 4.10 gears and a limited slip. The problem that I have is that I now want to beef up my front axle and am stuck with the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern because that is the bolt pattern of the 8.8.

Where you already have the slip yoke eliminator kit, the most complicated thing is hooking up the emergency brake cable and that was easy. You should be able to do this swap for $350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis
My plan right now is to just leave it alone this summer and not get crazy on the trails. Buy parts and get everything ready to swap it out over the next cold season. I've got a couple of hook ups that will help. I know a guy that is putting a Dana 60 rear in his CJ that will sell me the D44 that he had already put in for next to nothing. One way or another I'll switch it out. I hate having to worry about stupid crap.
Unread 03-14-2004, 09:19 PM   #11
roninkai

$350.00 for everything? That is a very good deal compare it to the D44. I got a '89 YJ with the D30/D35 (no lockers) that I'm thinking of beefing the differentials up and this 8.8 just caughted my attention.

What else do I need like parts/accessories or adapters when switching to an 8.8? Anyone please?

Thanks
roninkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2004, 04:58 AM   #12
90wrglr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninkai
$350.00 for everything? That is a very good deal compare it to the D44. I got a '89 YJ with the D30/D35 (no lockers) that I'm thinking of beefing the differentials up and this 8.8 just caughted my attention.

What else do I need like parts/accessories or adapters when switching to an 8.8? Anyone please?

Thanks
-8.8 Axle 95 or newer, Explorer with Disk brakes $$$
-You will need to buy an install kit or piece together your pirches, u-bolts, U-bolt plates, and shock mounts. $120-kit
-A 1310 yoke adapter $40

Optional are.....
-Emergency brake kit $120, or salvaged from junk yard.
-Ring & Pinions gears $180 with install kit
-Detroit Locker $500

Total for me was just over $1200 with the axle but I havn't bought the E-brake kit yet.
Unread 03-15-2004, 09:11 AM   #13
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you have a 4" suspension lift you can use the existing perches. [ i did]
you are running 4.11 gears, so get one with the stock 4.10 gears. [instant savings]
in your case all you really need is shock mounts, and the u joint adapter plate. $50 bucks total.
the stock ford e-brake cable can easily be adapted to your jeep.

Unread 03-15-2004, 09:36 AM   #14
90wrglr

Nailer: I bought a new, not used, 8.8 with Disc brakes and 3. something gears for $425.
I have a 2" spring lift and 1" bl, 33" tires
I'm putting in 4.56 and a Detroit.
I could reuse the stock pirches by rewelding to a new location and I could save a little by peicing together everything I need, but for time efficiency, the kit makes since. I have to get this thing mocked up for the CV driveshaft length.

I'll search the yards for the E-brake cables, as I'm in no hurry for them.

I'll do the rough fitting and tack the pirches and shock mounts when they get here. Also measure for the CV drive shaft and SYE. Then pull out and fully weld everything including the tubes. Then it's time for the gears and lockers to be put in.
I'll keep running the 35 until the 8.8 is completely ready for install.
Unread 03-16-2004, 12:22 AM   #15
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341
if you have a 4" suspension lift you can use the existing perches. [ i did]
you are running 4.11 gears, so get one with the stock 4.10 gears. [instant savings]
in your case all you really need is shock mounts, and the u joint adapter plate. $50 bucks total.
the stock ford e-brake cable can easily be adapted to your jeep.

I have a 3.5" BDS lift and 3/4" shackles on my '87 (total 4.25"). Could I use the 8.8's spring perches or will I have to weld on new ones?? What prevents using the Ford perches on a stock YJ suspension?

Also, is the Ford Limited Slip that's available in these axles any good? My Jeep will mostly be seeing mud.

Thanks,
Eric B
'87 Laredo 258 5-Speed
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.