Another bad throw out bearing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another bad throw out bearing?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 03-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another bad throw out bearing?

Jeep wrangler 4 cylinder I got it and it had a bad rattle when I let off the clutch so I put a new clutch kit in and changed throw bearing so I put the slave cylinder in and had no clutch the plunger didn't go behind the fork and shot out in the bell housing so I got it out and installed a new slave cylinder but the rattle is still there and I now have no clutch pedal

Nickjone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well it sounds like your problem is two fold.One ....It sounds like your clutch not functioning because it is not bled properly.Two...If you are getting a rattle when your clutch is disengaged i would suspect your input shaft bearing in your trans is going bad.Does the rattle go away when you push your clutch in?
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it did but it doesn't now because I can't get the clutch to bleed the throw out bearing was broken but I replaced it and the noise is still there
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok ..You definitely need to get your clutch bled.I usually gravity bleed if i am not in a hurry.I usually just fill up the master and crack the bleeder down at the slave and let it bleed till i get steady fluid then close it off.Or have a friend help you..which is easier.You need to take care of that first..then move on to the next problem..It still sounds like your input shaft bearing is bad..But get that clutch bled first.
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I'm going to work on the bleed now how bad it's the input shaft bearing to change I'm a long way from being a mechanic lol but I want to do it myself if possible
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have clutch pressure now but when I turn the key to accessory to start the jeep everything shuts down I'm completely lost now
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

lights go out and everything but give it a few seconds and the lights come back on
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickjone
lights go out and everything but give it a few seconds and the lights come back on
Ok there are a few different issues here now. First off the rattle. I would have said throwout bearing, but this normally only makes noise when the clutch is pressed in. So I would say pilot bearing. Tranny has to come out again for this. It can be a pita, I suggest buying a pilot bearing puller. You have the clutch bled, so that's good. As for the no start... Does the cel come on when you turn the key to the run position? Not start, the one before. If not, brain surgery time.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I put a charger on the battery last night and it started right up with no problems put it in neutral and the released the clutch and the motor bogged down as if it were in gear the pilot bearing looked good when I replaced the clutch which looked amost new as well but I changed the clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing but didn't change pilot bearing because it seemed to be functioning properly
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I put a charger on the battery last night and it started right up with no problems put it in neutral and the released the clutch and the motor bogged down as if it were in gear the pilot bearing looked good when I replaced the clutch which looked amost new as well but I changed the clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing but didn't change pilot bearing because it seemed to be functioning properly
This doesn't sound like a pilot bearing or throwout to me now. Does the jeep lurch at all when it bogs after you let go of the clutch?

Unread 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it does actually
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes it does actually
I don't think it is the throwout bearing as it is really not doing anything unless the pedal is pushed in. So when releasing the pedal it lurches and Bogs down. I am inclined to say its in the tranny. But I'm not a tranny guy at the least. Maybe mean max might pop in. Ill keep looking around though.

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is what I'm thinking as well I really appreciate your help I'm new to the jeep world and this forum but this is an awesome site and the people are great
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is what I'm thinking as well I really appreciate your help I'm new to the jeep world and this forum but this is an awesome site and the people are great
Hey no problem. I did have a similar issue at the beginning of winter here. My ebrake never worked so I always left it in gear. So in the morning I would go out and start it, when I pulled the shifter into neutral, it would still act like it was in first. So I started leaving it out of gear on cold nights. I am just wondering if it is kinda doing the same to you. I don't know what the temp is like where you are. But maybe try cycling the gears. Go through all of them a couple of times and see if it helps.

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
Nickjone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now that you said that I parked it on a small hill and left it in gear the day all this started and I too don't have a very good e brake and it's pretty warm here 60s

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.