Another axle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another axle question

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another axle question

So I've been looking for an 8.8 to put out back on my Jeep to get rid of the D35. I HAVE a Ford 9" with a 3.50:1 gear set in it. The housing is 57" wide, so would I do better to set up the 9 or keep looking for an 8.8? If I keep the 9, should I keep the current gear ratio it has and set up the front to match or just regear both all together. I'm running 33's on it right now. I also plan to put in a 5.7 LT1/T350 as soon as I gather all the parts (which I have most of now). Guru's, I need your wisdom....

Unread 10-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiechief
So I've been looking for an 8.8 to put out back on my Jeep to get rid of the D35. I HAVE a Ford 9" with a 3.50:1 gear set in it. The housing is 57" wide, so would I do better to set up the 9 or keep looking for an 8.8? If I keep the 9, should I keep the current gear ratio it has and set up the front to match or just regear both all together. I'm running 33's on it right now. I also plan to put in a 5.7 LT1/T350 as soon as I gather all the parts (which I have most of now). Guru's, I need your wisdom....
A lot of drag guys run 3.73's.. If I were you I would set it up that route that way in case you wanted to go deeper gear sets your 30 will be set up for that. Just my .02 Sent from Peggy's office

Edit. Also depends on the type of wheeling.

P.s. The drag cars around here have smaller than 33's on their cars. Just a bit if input
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

9">8.8

Period.
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
9">8.8

Period.
Ditto, if you already have the 9" setup under your Jeep you'd be down grading if you went 8.8. Plus from what I hear the 9" is easier to setup new gears.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What is the 9" lug pattern? Sure its a 9" as Ford 60s vehicles also had a drop center section for a 8".
8.8's are a wanted item for Wranglers as the width is not noticeable issue, the lug pattern (5on4.5) is the same as the front axle, matching gear ratios are available in stock form (3.73, 4.10), they came with limited slips, specific years had disc brakes available, and its a well supported by aftermarket.

9" are great axles once they have some money put into them. Draw away from it can be the low pinion configuration once installed and ds angle determined. Short wheelbase hurts with large lift on the rear ds angle. Its also a well supported by aftermarket axle as well.

Your choice of pros and cons is limited from what you have described here.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anti, I still have the D35 under my jeep. The 9 is a pile of parts in the back yard, but most out it is there minus brake parts. So if I decide to run the 9, what's the best gear radio to set it up with and match the front to? I've already accepted the fact that a re-gear is in my future, I just need help on which ratio to go with.
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Although finding an 8.8 with disks it's still up on my list if I can get my hands on it. I've been trying to sell the 9" on CL for a while.
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Put some 8.8 disks on the 9"...
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Put some 8.8 disks on the 9"...
This. I'm running a ford 9" w/Detroit locker. Love it. Threw some 8.8 disc brakes, love it even more.

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That looks damn good Apollo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.