Another automatic and gear ratio question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another automatic and gear ratio question

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejimbo View Post
I had 4.88 in my 5spd 4cyl and it ran around 3k at 65 or so. Would like to do 4.56 but as stated I am on 4.10 and have the 4.88's so I was trying to find out between the 2 who has ran what and their experiences with it. Just don't wanna shell out the money for an entirely new set of gears and such. Hell who knows it seems 35's are a gateway to 37's or bigger so might just work out
What everyone here is doing is mixing in their opinion with the manual transmission and your 3 speed auto transmission. The gear ratios will be different for the 2 transmissions.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Unclejimbo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah I've noticed that I like reading what other people run so its all good reading for me plus I've come to the conclusion if I want it to be slower than average and Meh offroad stay 4.10 with the 3spd auto and 35's 4.56 if I want a good all around and 4.88 if I want good off road but poor highway. So I dunno I may just try to sell the 4.88's and get a 4.56 set. Or ditch the whole auto idea.
Unclejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejimbo View Post
Oh yeah I've noticed that I like reading what other people run so its all good reading for me plus I've come to the conclusion if I want it to be slower than average and Meh offroad stay 4.10 with the 3spd auto and 35's 4.56 if I want a good all around and 4.88 if I want good off road but poor highway. So I dunno I may just try to sell the 4.88's and get a 4.56 set. Or ditch the whole auto idea.
Personally, I think the TF999/32RH is the best transmission used in JEEPS.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
Unclejimbo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I liked the idea of it due to it being nicely geared, not computer controlled and I have it in an entire donor vehicle only thing that sucks is it being a 3 sod and this damn gearing dilemma.
Unclejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The A999/32RH was a decent 4 speed transmission. Yeah, the ratio's between a manual and auto 3 speed are different (except for one gear) but it comes down to the auto 3rd gear being 1:1 which is the same as the manual 4th gear 1:1. So as a test you could drive around in 4th gear (same as auto 3rd gear) and see what it would be like before making your decision. I doubt you use 5th gear with 4.10's and 35's much though.
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.