another annoying problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > another annoying problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
blacksvt
2000 WJ 

another annoying problem

My jeep has the sputters..... I have noticed lately that when I start up and head out when the engine is cold it "sputters" only when I shift. (i.e clutch in-shift gears-let out clutch-sputters. It only does it on the first 3 or 4 shifts then goes away. Once it did it and the engine stalled.

I just got finished replacing the plugs,wires,cap and rotor hoping that would clear it up. I just had a new serp belt put on by a shop but I really dont think that has anything to do with it, and after the first few shifts everything is fine. I would like to get this fixed asap because it is starting to get nice and I want to drive my jeep and not worry about it breaking down on me. Any ideas?

blacksvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
gokusgrill

seafoam with your next oil change?
gokusgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
blacksvt
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokusgrill View Post
seafoam with your next oil change?
Ill do that... I get the feeling this is some kind of ignition/sensor problem.
Unread 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
SEMO 95 YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the sputters and replaced my TPS and it fixed the problem. I thought it was gas at first. Do a self diagnostic test and see if your TPS or any other sensor might be going out.
SEMO 95 YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is totally off the subject, but Floyds Knobs, did the guy get a sex change or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksvt View Post
My jeep has the sputters..... I have noticed lately that when I start up and head out when the engine is cold it "sputters" only when I shift. (i.e clutch in-shift gears-let out clutch-sputters. It only does it on the first 3 or 4 shifts then goes away. Once it did it and the engine stalled.

I just got finished replacing the plugs,wires,cap and rotor hoping that would clear it up. I just had a new serp belt put on by a shop but I really dont think that has anything to do with it, and after the first few shifts everything is fine. I would like to get this fixed asap because it is starting to get nice and I want to drive my jeep and not worry about it breaking down on me. Any ideas?
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
blacksvt
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
This is totally off the subject, but Floyds Knobs, did the guy get a sex change or what?

I dont know, it is a goofy name for a town, I dont even realize it until someone says it though. We are all used to it here I guess.

I seafoamed the motor and DAYYYUM... It quieted down quite a but. Starts stronger and idles better too. Ill have to let the motor go cold then go see if it still sputters and stalls. My next attempt is replacing the tps which I have on hand, but would like to take it back if I dont need it...38$ WTF??? All warmed up its running better than ever though!
Unread 03-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
blacksvt
2000 WJ 

still doing it...I guess I will put the new tps on. Im running out of ideas...anyone?
Unread 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
gokusgrill

I'm glad to here that the seafoam took away some of the problem, it works wonders. try the tps and see if it changes.
gokusgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.