Another 8.8 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another 8.8 question

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another 8.8 question

Gonna start to do some work on the 8.8.. Do I cut off shock mounts and spring perches from it? Or just the spring perches? Also is there a set distance you weld new ones on or is everyone's different?

Unread 03-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

on mine the shock mounts were on the spring plates not on the axle. you move the perches out 5/8", each side

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, mines been sitting out back all winter so I couldn't remember what it looked like
But thanks I appreciate it
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of doing mine right now. I have a questions about brake lines. Can I reuse my rubber line and distribution block from my d35 and just bend new hard lines for the axle ?
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
1993sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

While you're in there, keep in mind your new overall shock length needed. You may need to extend the upper mount. I had a shop do my 8.8 swap and the shock mounts are on the axle, but flush with the bottom so they dont hang down. Basically I have to use stock height shocks until I extend the upper mount.
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000
While you're in there, keep in mind your new overall shock length needed. You may need to extend the upper mount. I had a shop do my 8.8 swap and the shock mounts are on the axle, but flush with the bottom so they dont hang down. Basically I have to use stock height shocks until I extend the upper mount.
Not really sure what your saying? I have 4.5 inches of lift now.. So my shocks won't work with the 8.8?
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

when you got the 4.5" lift, you probably got new shocks. your D35 shock mounts are below the axle, IFFFFFFFFF when you do the 8.8 you make the shock mounts level with the bottom of the axle so they dont hang down, you MAY have a shock binding issue.

Example: (my case).
My shocks after market shocks are 14.5 collapsed. with the 8.8 installed and the mounts flush with the bottom of the axle (no hang down), they sit at 15.5" eye to eye. Meaning I have 1" of stuff/compression. Upper shock mount extensions will give ~2" extra travel, but MORE wants ~100$.

Just saying while you got it mocked up, or whatever, take a second and check it out. You can drive without rear shocks for a bit and not die, it's just more bouncy.
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished up what your putting down. Went with the MORE extensions. My only advise if you go that route is to get a GOOD set of drill bits and start small and drill up in size till you get to half inch. Also summit racing had the mounts cheaper (not much, but every bit helps) than MORE.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is the teraflex solution as well.
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993sahara
I'm in the process of doing mine right now. I have a questions about brake lines. Can I reuse my rubber line and distribution block from my d35 and just bend new hard lines for the axle ?
I had bought a set of extended brake lines. This had a hole in the center to mount to the stock d35. The breather on the 8.8 is different. What I did was weld a piece of thread to the axle, then used a nut to attach my rubber brake line. The brake line then "t"s off to hard lines towards the brakes. Then I used two 8.8 passenger side rubber hoses to attach to the brakes. On the drives side I cut the mount and welded it opposite so I could use the stock spring perch holes.

There are many different options to get the brakes hooked up. Just use your noggin and be a little creative. Pm your number or email and I can send some pics of mine. I am currently not having luck with photobucket.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was going to say that anti was going to mention the other option but I could not remember who made it.

Cute dog looks like mine....lab/collie mix

Unread 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I reused, cut down, re-bent and re-flared my Jeep hard lines and the Jeep rubber line. And I mounted all the line to the 8.8 breather block, if memory serves. That and the two passenger-side banjo ends.

Picture of the 8.8 getting Jeep lines.

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Like gunshw said there's more than one way to skin a cat. I made my own MORE shock extensions and I reused the 8.8 brake lines.
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This hole build is a learn as I go kinda deal I've neve done anything like this before so I have some friends that can show me how if someone on here tells me how so everything you guys are saying is helping so I really appreciate it.

Also what did you guys use to buy parts? I've found the site ecgs but is their any place cheaper?
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcarter44 View Post
This hole build is a learn as I go kinda deal I've neve done anything like this before so I have some friends that can show me how if someone on here tells me how so everything you guys are saying is helping so I really appreciate it.

Also what did you guys use to buy parts? I've found the site ecgs but is their any place cheaper?
What parts are we talkin here? If you need seals and brakes, I would hit up your local auto parts store. I ordered my gear master install kit off of 4WD hardware because they had cheapest price. If your talkin perches, shock mounts etc, then check out a few vendors on here, I always refer people to BESRK on here for things like that. His parts are quality and cheap.
Personally I re-uesd the 8.8 perches and made my own shock mounts out of 1/4" with my 4.5" angle grinder and cutting wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.