Another 5.2L YJ thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another 5.2L YJ thread

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #121
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Neutral safety switch.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #122
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
you can run an auto ecm on a manual and vice versa.

obd1 ... if you put an auto ecm on your manual all that happens is the air fuel mixture is a little diff to compensate for having a torque converter.
i ran an auto ecm with no problem for a while on my 5.2 before switching to the 5.9l manual ecm on my 5.2. hell... i even ran an auto 3.9l ecm on my 5.2 for about 1/4 mile. guy i bought it from said it was for a 5.9 not a 3.9. i quickly notified him of his mistake.

obd2...
not 100% positive but i think it is a possibility to put an auto ecm on a manual if you do something to trick the computer to think the transmission is always in drive. otherwise the ecm thinks your in park all the time and you have a terrible power loss. i know i read this somewhere on someone's swap thread but i can't remember for the life of me who it was or how he "tricked" the ecm.
What do you mean by terrible power loss? I am having issues with mine but don't want to hijack this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/g...-swap-1556355/
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #123
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeeps have the class as "AN" on the title, body type model "UT".
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #124
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
Stay way the **** back when I decide it's time for fun. Ruben learned that a long time ago.

Different states have different classes that Jeeps are registered under. Some states may register them as a pickup truck, states like Arizona do not. They're registered as station wagons from what I heard on multiple occasions. Part of the reason Jeeps aren't usually harassed about mud flaps in AZ.

In CA, I don't know what they're registered as. Probably a light duty truck or something, so the engine would have to come out of a Dakota on paper would be my guess. I don't know though, just speculating.
Here in Utah, my Jeep is registered as a pass/light truck utility.
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #125
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I've never owned a vehicle with a V8 in it, but I've always been a fan of V8s. Driven plenty of them, but never owned one. The sound and power puts smiles on your face for sure. A Jeep is already fun to drive with just a 4 banger, try driving one with a 5.7 Hemi in it... ohhhhhh jesus! A Jeep with a cammed Hemi, no top and doors, and a dumped exhaust is more pleasuring than sex IMO.

With all that being said, if my 5.2 isn't working, I'm bumping up to a 5.9 like bmgadg has.
I own a 1968 Chevy C10 1/2 ton 2wd. It has the 327 V8 that is pushing out at least 325 HP, and this thing is a blast to drive. So I can only imagine a V8 of its equivalence in a Jeep that weighs at least a thousand lbs. less....oooohh, now I'm getting a woody.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #126
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Having a V8 injected is one of the coolest things around. I love it even for just the sound alone.
I would love to have a V8 in my YJ just so that I can play with these little piss-ant imports who buzz around me then slow down just to piss me off. I would love to see their jaws drop when a V8 Jeep spins circles around them.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #127
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons

I would love to have a V8 in my YJ just so that I can play with these little piss-ant imports who buzz around me then slow down just to piss me off. I would love to see their jaws drop when a V8 Jeep spins circles around them.
My friends dad had a 383 in his cj but he had 4.10s in it so he would beat beefed up domestic cars to 100 ten he'd get passed because his jeep wasn't set up for going fast.. Just wheeling
AmmitOsiris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #128
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Bear in mind a Ricer is typically a stock 4 cylinder imported vehicle with an annoying exhaust can, and many mods that don't actually improve the performance of the car, let alone power output.

I have an 85 Supra with a 160hp 6 cylinder under the hood. Most V8 Jeeps can't keep up, thing moves in a hurry. That's a REAL import
Quote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #129
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
My friends dad had a 383 in his cj but he had 4.10s in it so he would beat beefed up domestic cars to 100 ten he'd get passed because his jeep wasn't set up for going fast.. Just wheeling
LOL, I don't plan on ever going a hundred in my Jeep, 75 tops. But it would be fun to play with them in town.
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #130
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Bear in mind a Ricer is typically a stock 4 cylinder imported vehicle with an annoying exhaust can, and many mods that don't actually improve the performance of the car, let alone power output.

I have an 85 Supra with a 160hp 6 cylinder under the hood. Most V8 Jeeps can't keep up, thing moves in a hurry. That's a REAL import
Very true, but there are some that are built and tuned to run. I just want to see their jaw drop when a Jeep leaves them in the smoke, or dust. It sort of messes with their super inflated ego. It's funny to see the expressions on their faces when I leave them behind in my old beater looking '68 Chevy C10 "farm" truck.
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #131
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I own a 1968 Chevy C10 1/2 ton 2wd. It has the 327 V8 that is pushing out at least 325 HP, and this thing is a blast to drive. So I can only imagine a V8 of its equivalence in a Jeep that weighs at least a thousand lbs. less....oooohh, now I'm getting a woody.
My logic was that I've always wanted a Jeep and a muscle car. Why not have both in one? Now a 318 is no muscle engine, but it's more muscle than a six shooter.

However, if I ever save up a large amount of cash, 70 Cuda with a 426 Hemi.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #132
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
My logic was that I've always wanted a Jeep and a muscle car. Why not have both in one? Now a 318 is no muscle engine, but it's more muscle than a six shooter.

However, if I ever save up a large amount of cash, 70 Cuda with a 426 Hemi.

Of course I get wood when I see a 1970 Chevell LS6, Now THAT is raw power.
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #133
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone seen the specs of the new 2014 Dodge Viper? 640 hp and 600 ft lb of torque The new 'vette only has 450 hp and 450 ft lb torque Proving once again that Chevy is garbage

Back ontopic, I'll be plenty happy with my 220 hp 300 ft lb Mopar 5.2L So long as I don't pay attention to the gas gauge all the time...
Quote:
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #134
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Has anyone seen the specs of the new 2014 Dodge Viper? 640 hp and 600 ft lb of torque The new 'vette only has 450 hp and 450 ft lb torque Proving once again that Chevy is garbage

Back ontopic, I'll be plenty happy with my 220 hp 300 ft lb Mopar 5.2L So long as I don't pay attention to the gas gauge all the time...
My 5.9 gets better mileage then my 4.2 ever did. I get right around 20 MPG.
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #135
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well in that case that makes me excited. And I'm going to a 5 speed manual instead of the 4 speed... 20mpg average?

And I also just read your other thread, guess I will have to take careful consideration in routing my throttle cable...
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.