another 4.0L head swap ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > another 4.0L head swap ?

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

another 4.0L head swap ?

Hey guys/gals im new to the forum but not wrenching and fab. work. Question is and if it has been answered before I apologize. I'm swapping a 4.0L head and basically everything from the head up onto my 4.2L to gain the benefits of the 4L head and fuel injection, and i'm not sure as to what to do about the distributor. I have done the juice box upgrade already on the 258 but will this setup work? Beside the obvious wiring to the new harness and ECM is there anything else that I'm missing? Finally if this setup will not work what do I need to use so that it will work?

Thanks for y'alls help and if you must flame then feel free your not going to hurt my feelings none. I'm surrounded by 200 other infantrymen on a daily bases y'all cant be no worse

LowBudget87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also which pushrods to use since they are different length's?
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
jamesbland123
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did this same upgrade. If I remember correctly I used the 4.2 pushrods. There is also some work you need to do on the heads such as close up 2 or so coolant channels, but I can't exactly remember.

Are you talking about MPFI? If you are going this route there is a lot you need to do besides wiring. I did the MPFI as well and its a pretty big undertaking if that's what you are talking about besides the head.
jamesbland123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

im using the factory FI from a 91 xj. i gone through forum and write up after write up and these where the only to things that i could not find an answer yet. thats for your help buddy if i cant get or find a definite answer then im probably just pick up a adjustable pushrod to measure the correct length. still not sure about the dissy and ignition system
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Either or pushrods will work, both my 258 and 4.0 had the same length pushrods. You will have to set lifter preload, I used Ford 5.0 rocker shims under mine to get proper preload! Can't help you on the wiring as I'm still carbureted.
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

really 5.0 shims thats awesome ive got a set of those sitting in my box of dont throw away cause you never know parts. thanks for the help on that question now if i can find out if my exsisting ignition system will work ill be good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.