Another 2.5L Ticking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another 2.5L Ticking

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
MJB1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another 2.5L Ticking

I've been searching threads about 2.5L ticking, lots of good info. But before I go down this road I figured I would ask. Started ticking around 90K, did the seafoam, mystery oil, etc and worked for a short time but tick always came back. Engine does not tick all the time, may tick on start but after warms up may go away. Sometimes doesn't tick until it is warmed up and then will tick for a few minutes and stop. After running down the hwy it will tick when I come to a stop at a light. I can't predict when it will tick. I've listened and tried to isolate and would guess the top half of the engine. Read a lot of posts recommending lifter/cam replacement. I figure if I do that I might as well replace the timing chain/sprockets/tensioner while there since I'm not sure when/if previous owner had replaced. Any suggestions before I dive into this thing?

MJB
1990 2.5L
31X10.5
1.25" Body Lift
100,000 mi

MJB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you ruled out an exhaust leak before diving in? When my rig still had the 2.5L in it, it had two occurrences of an exhaust leak, one at the manifold to head and the other at the header collector that sounded identical to lifter tap and it would come and go as well.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
MJB1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No, I have not checked for exhaust leak, I'll check now.

MJB
1990 2.5L
31X10.5
1.25" Body Lift
100,000 mi
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What can happen is that pieces of gunk will break loose and temporarily clog up oil galleries (channels throughout the engine that the oil circulates through). Also, lifters have a black tar like build up on them and they can stick as they spin (they spin but not strictly by design). They go up and down on the lobes of the cam but spin around too.

I think the best way to limit/eliminate the tick is to switch to synthetic oil if you have not already done that. It will gradually clean things while increasing protection against wear. I changed my lifters for new ones and got rid of most of my tick. It is not a perfect solution and can cause excessive wear on the cam lobes over time. However, there was almost 3mm of wear on some of the lifters. I figured the bigger problem was to leave them in. Plus, I only put about 2k miles on my jeep a year.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
cvorden
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just bought lifters for my 87 YJ yesterday have not started tackling the job yet. Let me know how yours goes.
cvorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
MJB1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I checked exhaust, but no leaks.

I have run synthetic oil for a couple of oil changes with no change in frequency of ticking.

I listened all around as best I could and when the louder ticking starts it sounds noiser at the top half of the engine. I do notice ticking at the front around the timing case but hard to tell top or front for the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvorden View Post
Just bought lifters for my 87 YJ yesterday have not started tackling the job yet. Let me know how yours goes.
I'm still deciding what to do, you'll probably be done -- keep me posted. You decided on lifters only..........

Suggested Threads
  • 4.2 ticking - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (15 replies)
  • ticking - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (11 replies)
  • Ticking.... - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (15 replies)
  • 93 YJ Ticking Bad - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (22 replies)
  • Ticking - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (2 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.