Annoying Crappy Product - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Annoying Crappy Product

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Annoying Crappy Product

Ok so I ordered the chrome hawk air horn off trainhorns.net..

sounds like a simple install..

well I'm confused, it came with no instructions and they don't have any..

Everything is already on the relay to the mini-compressor except a long red wire and a long black wire, they both come from the relay.

Heres a drawing of the diagram on the relay:

And heres a pic of the air horn and the wires:

I already tried to tie the red into the red and black into the black of the factory horn wires, but it didn't sound like it was getting enough power cause it was pretty much just blowing a little air.

[COLOR="darkgreen"]My Build:[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
DirtyJeepBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Angry_bald_guy
1985 J-Series Truck 

I'd have to see it to figure it out.

[B]A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of the free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.[/B]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f271/matilda-928184/"][B]My Former Jeep[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/build-up-jeanine-993071/"][B]My Current Jeep[/B][/URL]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]JFI Member #13[/B][/COLOR]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/dont-dishonest-seller-860174/"]Report a scam on JeepForum.[/URL][/B]
Angry_bald_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

:
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hook it up just like any other relay.

terminal 30 on the relay will go to your batery(fused of corse)
terminal 87 will be the feed/hot for the compressor
terminals 85 and 86, one will be grounded, and the other will be + from your switch. If your stock horn wiring supplies both + and ground to the stock horn, then you can just hook those two wires up to terminals 85 and 86.
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thats the thing though that confuses me...

Theres like a mold that all the wires are already harnessed into, then you put the mold over the relay connecting them all, which leaves you with a long black and a long red...

when I pulled the mold off, there was the prongs on the relay..

The bottom terminal has 87a and 30 on it.. (2 black wires), one black wire is a long one not connected, and the other loops into 85 (the right terminal)
Then the top terminal has 1 blue, which goes to the air compressor.

The terminal on the left has, what it says 86. Then red wires come out of that, 1 red long not connected, and a short one that connects to the air compressor aswell..

Which leaves me with a long red, and a long black... I tried to connect the red into the stock horn postive, and the black into the stock horn black...

Nothing happens when I hit the horn...

I put the long black wire in the factory horn negative slot, then touched the red wire to the postive terminal on the battery and scared the **** outta me when the horn went off...

So, I've got no idea how to wire this still.
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Soooooooo frustrated!

I spliced the black and red into the stock factory horn wires , and now it doesn't work... I don't know what else to do??????

I cut the red splice off now... So I've got the black wire connected to the factory horn black wire... Then when I touch the red wire to the battery, it honks.. How do i get this thing to honk when I push my horn????
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
W7NB
Educated Redneck

2013 JK Wrangler 

Here is a picture of the internals of a typical Bosch-style automotive relay. When +12V is applied between pins 85 and 86 the coil becomes a magnet which pulls the lever down making a connection between pins 30 and 87.

So hook the switched leg (Hot from the horn button) to 85, ground 86, hook battery power to 30 and the red from the horn to 87.

Hook the horn ground to either chassis ground or to 86 then chassis ground.

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
57plymouth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your pigtail on the relay should have four wires, and three leading off. If I were you, I would throw away the pig tail and start over. Use the pinout as described by W7NB.
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I re-wired everything exactly like you said and it still won't work......
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Leave the wiring the way it was from the company you bought it from, put the red wire to the battery and the black one to the 12v from the horn. If that doesn't work switch them around. If that doesn't work call the company you bought it from.

You need power waiting at the relay basically, and you're only using the horn button like a switch, sorta like a light in your house.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
W7NB
Educated Redneck

2013 JK Wrangler 

Another thought. Does the horn circuit you are using provide power or ground? I thought factory horns simply grounded the relay allowing it to actuate. If that's the case I can tell you how to wire this. Do you have a test meter or test light?

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7NB View Post
Another thought. Does the horn circuit you are using provide power or ground? I thought factory horns simply grounded the relay allowing it to actuate. If that's the case I can tell you how to wire this. Do you have a test meter or test light?
I think you're right about the stock horn and I didn't consider that previously.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Put the RED wire to the + side of the battey and touch the BLACK wire to a ground. If the horn works and it should, then wire up a switch to the Black wire that then goes to a ground.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.