??? amount of lift/type with 35" tires. Planning for the future. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ??? amount of lift/type with 35" tires. Planning for the future.

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
rigger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

??? amount of lift/type with 35" tires. Planning for the future.

Just picked up a little 95 Wrangler that has really good potential. Right now it is all stock and has a body that is not perfect at all. So now I am planning for future mods for it.

What I am trying to gather is info on different mods and what went along with them.

I have a buddy that is wanting to upgrade his Wrangler so I am looking at getting his 35" BFG's and wheels. And maybe his axles in the future too.

We are thinking of doing a spring over swap and his 35's. I would really like to keep the C.of G. low so maybe tubing the front fenders if it is to tight. This seems to be the most cost effective way to lift it. I know there may be some other ways to lift or maybe better ways to lift.

What are some pro's and cons's of different lifts or any other major issues that may need to be addressed at the same time?

And this is also a daily driver for me too so keep that in mind. What ever I start needs to be completed by Monday morning so I can go to work.

And the end project needs to look sharp too. I might be driving a rusty rig at the moment but I want to end product to look good when it is all said and done.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
martysmilt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Daily driver?

My experience with modifying a daily driver has been both frustrating and ego satisfying. I really enjoyed the look on peoples faces when I rolled into the lot at work with my old YJ. The problem with wheeling a daily driver and modifying same is obvious in hind sight. You rely on a daily driver to get you to work to earn money to play and live. If you have a major problem with the daily driver you have the real potential to loose the ability to support yourself. I solved the problem with a second car - - "The beater" as my daily driver did not have to get modified on a time table. It was not pretty but was reliable. I used it when the beast would not cooperate with my work schedule. It was the BEST upgrade I did to my 1st YJ because it gave me the ability to fix the beast with the correct parts with no compromises. I got to work on the beast on my schedule. It protected my income source my lifestyle and my family. I know that it is not a cool upgrade that satisfies your ego with instant gratification. It will allow you to build a really cool Jeep over time.

Now that I have said that I need a favor, Please measure and post the distance from the top of the axle tube to the frame on your Jeep. I am starting a new thread on the subject.
Thanks,
Marty S
martysmilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
rigger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

From frame to axle on the front is 6" and on the rear it is 6.5". That is to the frame, not to the bump stops.

I was originally going to go no bigger than 33's on it and that may still be the way that I go. But, I know by the time I buy new 33's, rims, lift and so on, I will have more money invested than if I get my buddies 35's and his rims. His tires are in great shape and have at least 75% of life left in them.

He also has a nice axle, re-built, locker, bigger gears and disk brakes that I will probably get from him too. I know it will make a nice up-grade to mine.

We were thinking of doing a spring over lift and his 35's on mine. Then if needed tube the front fenders. But I am not sure if that alone will be enough lift for it. Then a little later down the road, after he gets new axles for his, swap his old axle onto mine.

Just looking for thoughts and things that you guys have run into so that I can plan ahead and have as little down time as possible.

I do have co-workers that drive right by my house everyday so if a weekend project took longer than I thought it would, (and I am sure it will), I can still catch a ride to work.
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look in the FAQ sticky thread & read-up on SOA & what some of us have done to address things. This should give you a baseline as to what you will be getting into.

Just remember - for each "shortcut" or method/approach taken to save $ or use of parts that are not ideal, there will be a price to pay in performance.

I have seen several SOA projects where I would never even think of taking those rigs where you would think they should be capable of going knowing they were built poorly and too many shortcuts were taken. So what I'm saying is...take your time, do your research, and don't be in a hurry or else a can of worms will be the result.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
rigger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will check that out. Thanks.

I don't mean to sound like I want to cut corners. That is not the plan at all. I do what to do it in a good and safe manner but at the same time, get the biggest bang for the buck.

Plans and problems are why I am looking into and asking questions now.

I was under the impression that a spring over was a good way to lift given that it was done properly. Please do correct me if I am wrong. If it is a problem child way of lifting, then I will stay away from doing it like that.

I don't have to use my buddies 35's. I was just trying to think of a good way to use them.

Would it be better and safer to run something like a 2" heavy duty shackle lift and maybe a 1" body lift. Then maybe run 33"s on it? I would kind of like to keep the stock springs to retain the ride it has now. I really do not want it to get any stiffer.

Please do give me your opinions guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.