AMC 258 Exhaust upgrade questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AMC 258 Exhaust upgrade questions

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
BlackIrish
1989 YJ Wrangler 

AMC 258 Exhaust upgrade questions

Hello all! New guy to the forum. I have a 89 YJ with the AMC 258 and TF 999 Tranny, and am looking into upgrading my rusted over exhaust system. I'm kind of torn between putting together a Borla system (pricy and takes away money from other things I could be doing to it) or simply going with an OEM kit and calling it a day. I'd like to get some more power out of it, but the cost disparity is pretty significant. I saw on Quadratec that the Borla headers might require some modification due to the automatic transmission, but what that might entail is beyond me. Does anyone have experience with a Borla setup like I'm talking about? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Any questions and/or input are always appreciated.

BlackIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have pacesetter header and a flowmaster. It sounds great and it helps get things flowing better

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a borla header on a 258 AND an auto trans. The problem is the shift linkage bracket that bolts to the engine and crosses over to the tub. Was not had to fabricate a new bracket. I also had trouble with the front drive shaft hitting the collector but that may have been unique to my set up. For that, I had a local shop cut off the collector weld it on facing front. Then they bent and built a new pipe that wrapped around the front of the oil pan, TJ style. I had some other work done at the same time and the entire bill was about $300, not including the header (got that from a JF member for pretty cheap.)

As for performance, I don't know that I noticed any difference. It sounds good though.

shift bracket

new collector

wrap around

it's not nearly as close to the starter as it looks

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.