Amateur '93 YJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Amateur '93 YJ Build

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I am a member of MK, also a MOD on parts of the forum there. MK does all sorts of trails. And the best part about it is that a good deal of the trails we run have different lines for all sorts of rigs, slightly modified to wild. That way everyone can go out and have a good time. Check out the forums, register up, and heckle people on the Shoutbox at the top of the screen like I do.

Unread 05-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #32
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy454 View Post
Yes, I am a member of MK, also a MOD on parts of the forum there. MK does all sorts of trails. And the best part about it is that a good deal of the trails we run have different lines for all sorts of rigs, slightly modified to wild. That way everyone can go out and have a good time. Check out the forums, register up, and heckle people on the Shoutbox at the top of the screen like I do.
That sounds great! I'll definitely try to get involved in your guys' forum after work tonight! Thanks man!

Just click and watch me grow! Check out my build thread!!
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/amateur-93-yj-build-1213127/[/url]

ALWAYS looking to meet responsible four wheeling folk in the Western Mass area!
slashway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #33
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i'll keep my eyes open for ya over there. Send me a PM with your registered screen name there and I'll do what I can to expedite the forum account approval process
Unread 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #34
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the long time with no posts, one of my brothers surprised us with some leave time so I spent all my JeepForum time with the family.

Unread 05-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #35
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker 2.5" Leaf Spring Lift Kit Sway Bar Quick Disconnects Skyjacker Nitro Shocks

With the body lift fully installed and running safely, it was time to get a few more inches of lift. I would love to have a nice big tall rig right off the bat, but I decided it would be best to play it safe for now and just go with a small set-up. 2.5" would be enough to clear some 33s, get me through some gnarly stuff, and I wouldn't have to mess with anything other than the springs, shocks, and sway bar. An easy entry level move.
In the not so distant future, once I get some better axles and have more faith in my mechanic's abilities, I intend to go quite big and throw my carbon footprint and uneducated safety concerns to the wind.
I also upgraded to the nitro shocks after reading some reviews suggesting they might be better than the standard hydro shocks. I also opted for the quick-link disconnect bars for the sway bar. And since they all came together, I'll cover the leaf install as well as the shock install.
Again, I apologize for the lack of pictures. It's not like me and I solemnly swear that it won't happen again... after this and the next two or three posts. You see, I did most of these all at once and that was during a time when my camera was out of commission. I did seriously consider delaying the work until it was ready. It's the thought that counts.

I had been hitting all the bolts with PB Blaster for over a week by the time we finally got around to doing the install. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough. We started up front. Everything came out pretty easily, EXCEPT for where the back of the spring attaches to the mount underneath the body. We had to cut these bad boys out with an angle grinder. It didn't take too long but it sure smelled pretty nasty as we tore through the bushing. I'd advise wearing goggles and something over your face and nose to keep the fine particles out of those all important orifices. We did have to cut the top of the shock mounts out on both sides as they were in there quite firmly, but that was pretty damn easy and only took a few minutes with a hack saw.
Before we could put the new springs and shocks on, we had to install the new sway bar links. Luckily, I had purchased the quick link disconnects ahead of time. Unluckily, the old sway bar connect links were a pain in the *** to get off, the bushings had caused the bolts to seize inside. What we ended up doing was taking the whole sway bar off and hammering the old boys outta there. Install was pretty easy on the new ones, except one of the links required the hole the pin goes in to be filed down a bit smaller. Not too shabby.

The rear leaf springs came off just like the front ones - the bolts near the middle of the Jeep required cutting whereas the ones on the outside came right off with a ratchet. We did destroy the rearmost exhaust mount in the process though, why it was right in the way of the bolt is a great mystery.
The shocks were way easier than the front, after we finagled our hands up for the top mounting point.

Install on everything was pretty simple. The only recommendation I can make here is that you purchase some bolts yourself. No new bolts came with this, except for the top of the front shocks. It wasn't a big deal, some simple searching on this site and the sizes were easily found and then we went to Home Depot and grabbed some Grade 8 bolts. Nice, shiny, and safe.

No wires or cables were tugged in a harmful way and the lift really stood out. Overall, everything was incredibly easy to install, provided you had a ton of patience.

It was about 6 in the morning when we finished and my family needed the garage by 7:00 so we loaded all the old pieces into my "trunk" and headed home.

Unread 06-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #36
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A

Those stock tires were looking a little silly under all that new height. I had a couple different styles picked out for tires, and I knew I wanted something with an aggressive tread. I was trying to go cheap for now too, because I know these tires won't be on there for too long before I decide to go bigger on the lift, swap out the axles, and get larger tires. I just needed something save for driving and good for not getting stuck. Then one day at the gas station someone pulled up next to me with a nice brand new set of BFG All Terrain A/Ts. I instantly got a semi and realized these were for me. The reviews I read for them backed up that decision.

I headed into the local tire shop, as I get a pretty decent discount there thanks to my workplace. And being in an area where a lot of folks wheel and ****, I trusted I was doing the right thing. I went in knowing exactly what I wanted for tires. Well, almost exactly. I wanted 33x10.5, and after a little banter with the owner, I could tell he knew what I was looking for, so I asked what he would suggest for a wheel size. I knew 15 was the way to go and he confirmed it. He should me the two styles of black wheels they had in and and we set it up. Five 33x10.5x15 BFG All Terrain A/Ts on five Pruven Off-Road wheels, their generic all black rims.

When I went back a few days later to get them installed, the Jeep looked like she had been reborn. I knew I had made the right choice, especially when me and my buddy took her out that night to test it out. They hum real nice on the road and pull great through the mud. I have yet to regret the purchase.

224267_10100158967624492_9132026_49154929_1712635_n.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Unread 06-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #37
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Recovery Gear and First Aid

Not one week after my new tires were freshly installed, I headed deep into the woods with a false sense of invincibility that I've come to expect while driving my Jeep. We went in with three vehicles and one guy got stuck behind me and one in front of me, so needless to say I wasn't going anywhere. We spent all night trying to dig the first guy out and got absolutely nowhere. After almost 10 hours of work, we had to call it quits so half of us could head in to work. After work we were able to go in with a recovery vehicle and rip those poor basters out. I drove my baby right out of there with a smile the whole way.

It was probably one of the best nights ever. BUT! I quickly realized that if I had been properly equipped with proper recovery gear, things would have gone way differently. As such, I made it a point to begin my acquisition of said gear. A new front and rear bumper are definitely in my near future, as is a winch. For now, and after seeing one in action that second night, I purchased a 48" Hi-Lift Jack, complete with the winching gear, and a 30' tow strap. I also threw together a basic first aid kit complete with some water, light non-perishables, and a flashlights. I like to be prepared for the worst.

Unread 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #38
brockmarzullo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The BFG AT's are good tires. I enjoy mine and they are only 30x950's. I am a fan of the white walls out. I have the same on mine. Is that a sahara model or just the same paint. It looks very very close to my paint on mine! Nice looking jeep man! I like it!
brockmarzullo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #39
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you thought about doing fenders rather than lots of lift? I have 5 in total lift and can fit 42s under it

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #40
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmarzullo
The BFG AT's are good tires. I enjoy mine and they are only 30x950's. I am a fan of the white walls out. I have the same on mine. Is that a sahara model or just the same paint. It looks very very close to my paint on mine! Nice looking jeep man! I like it!
Hey man, thanks for the compliments! It's just a base '93 YJ, although I have found remnants of a security system and some old speaker wires in the rear. It also has an air conditioner unit which I understand was a dealer installed aftermarket upgrade. Whoever had this straight off the lot must have intended to do some serious mall crawling. I'd love to show them the progress on it now though...

I saw you were running the same tires man! They're great all around tires IMO. I've heard some people say I should have gone with Mud Terrains, but let's be honest, I spend most of the time on pavement. As much as it pains me to admit that.

Unread 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #41
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZAces
Have you thought about doing fenders rather than lots of lift? I have 5 in total lift and can fit 42s under it
Holy **** dude! Haha. I'm thinking I'll only go 4 or 5 inches of lift total on the suspension when all is said and done, but I wanted to start small, make sure it's what I really wanted to do with this thing. And it helps to ease the girlfriend into the whole idea.

I do actually like that idea a lot. It's a bit scarier cutting into your baby but it makes a ton of sense in my mind. And I love the look of flat style fenders. I've actually got a set of Smittybilt XRC Flat Style Tubular fenders kicking around waiting for install, which should add a couple inches for tire clearance.

What kind of flares are you running on your rig to get that much extra clearance (I'm on my iPhone app and it blocks signatures, so sorry if it's posted there). I think 5" should give you room enough for... 37" tires? So those have got to be some gnarly fenders dude!

Unread 06-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #42
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Attachment 229542

Attachment 229543
Attachment 229544[/quote]

Add some plastic wire mold and i will clean up your exposed wires.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #43
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #44
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wandered over here from your SYE thread! Looking good and a surprisingly similar backstory/build to mine. Subscribing. Looking forward to seeing it progress!

MOAR PIKTCHERS! ha ha

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #45
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
Add some plastic wire mold and i will clean up your exposed wires.

[/QUOTE]

I LIKE THAT!! I'll definitely have to grab some once... Once I get her back on the road! Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.