Amateur '93 YJ Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Amateur '93 YJ Build

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #16
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

VDP Deluxe Ultimate Console Follow-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_Nut1218 View Post
It's nice to see another learn-as-you-go build. That's certainly what I'm doing.
I started with basically the same thing too; same VDP console and mirror movers.

I'm not sure if you've discovered this or if your rear seat even has this capability..
but I found that when I tried to 'fold and tumble' my rear seat, the console was
in the way.

Still have to finish up some of the upholstery but it's basically done.
Just an idea if you have the same problem.

BTW I like that idea of securing the seat belts to the console. I have the same
problem, might have to copy you

Goodluck on your build. I'm subscribed
Hey man, that things looks pretty nice; I actually thought you found a more conservative edition! Haha. Very impressive.

I actually tested mine out before I mounted it, just to make sure, and the back seat tucks and tumbles just the same. Nonetheless, I really appreciate the pointer!
I dunno if it's why but I've got the "family style" roll bar in the back so that might situate the seat a little further back. Not that it matters, haha, I just enjoy looking at these types of things and trying to see what might be causing it. I still had to push it all the way forward to the edge of the shifter boot, but I've still got plenty of space to move around up there.

img_3717.jpg

Did you get the same mirror brackets or just mirror brackets in general? If you got the same ones, I'd be curious to hear about how you mounted them!

Thanks for subscribing!

Just click and watch me grow! Check out my build thread!!
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/amateur-93-yj-build-1213127/[/url]

ALWAYS looking to meet responsible four wheeling folk in the Western Mass area!
slashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I have a similar VDP console. I also secured the seat belt on the passenger side with an old web belt I had sitting around. Something I learned: the sunglasses compartment on mine is removable and I mounted my cb in there. Also removed the change keeper and mounted a plate with my switches on it. Two for lights and one fir the ECTED going in next week. And a spot to mount the mic fir the cb of course!
HOLY ****! I love that idea. I've been spending my lunch breaks all week in my Jeep looking for a suitable place to slam my CB Radio into. Wow. And my sunglasses don't even fit down there so I wouldn't miss it for a second. I'm definitely spending my lunch tomorrow finagling it to see what I can do.

Unread 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashway

HOLY ****! I love that idea. I've been spending my lunch breaks all week in my Jeep looking for a suitable place to slam my CB Radio into. Wow. And my sunglasses don't even fit down there so I wouldn't miss it for a second. I'm definitely spending my lunch tomorrow finagling it to see what I can do.
My console came with my jeep. I just gutted it and rebuilt it as my own. I also removed the drink holder to gain access to the empty space below. Then cut a wire hole in it to integrate the CB to the head unit on the dash so I could theoretically play music through the PA or have my cb speaker run through the stereo.
image-2388984508.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

VDP Deluxe Ultimate Console Follow-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
My console came with my jeep. I just gutted it and rebuilt it as my own. I also removed the drink holder to gain access to the empty space below. Then cut a wire hole in it to integrate the CB to the head unit on the dash so I could theoretically play music through the PA or have my cb speaker run through the stereo.

Ohhh! That looks very nice man! Highly efficient and practical! I do think that in retrospect this set up might not work quite so well for me and my console as is pushed so close to the shifter boot.
Thanks to your input, I do think I could rig something up with where the change console is now.

Unread 05-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

KC HiLites 6" SlimLite

To start out my adventures in the whacky world of auxiliary and superfluous lighting I figured I'd start by throwing some lights into those fancy new brackets I mounted.

After doing some research, and knowing I wanted something to light up the night, I went with the KC HiLites 6" SlimLite Daylighters. Prior to this, the most advanced electrical work I did was connecting some after market speakers to a home stereo. But I figured "what the heck?" and jumped right in.

The kit came with a pair of lights, a rocker switch, a real straightforward wiring harness, all the necessary mounting hardware, and of course some instructions.

It started out pretty easy... Connect the appropriate ends of the wiring to the appropriate battery terminals. Easy as pie. Then you connect the lights to the harness. Again, this is incredibly easy if you're not color blind. However, the challenge is hiding the wires from the sight as best you can. I read a lot of different ideas on this very forum, and got some great ideas. Basically everyone was drilling holes through the tub or the windshield and then running the wires.
For the passenger's side I drilled a hole in the firewall and the windshield right behind the mounted light. I pushed the wires through the hole in the firewall once both holes were drilled and grabbed a piece of mechanics wire. I pushed it through the hole in the windshield from the outside into the vehicle. I grabbed it down near the floor, wrapped it around the wires I pushed in from the firewall, and pulled it back out the windshield hole with the wires and connected them to the light. Very simple.

img_3719.jpg

For the driver's side I did the same exact thing, EXCEPT I had to drill the hole through the tub, directly behind and below the light on that side. i did this all a few months ago so I forget why I did it this way, but it is what it is. There was a snag with this side, literally. The positive and negative wire insulators are glued together and on the passenger's side I left them this way and pulled them through together without a problem. When I tried to do it this way on the driver's side, I ended up snapping one of the wires in two near the connection end as it rubbed against the edge of the whole in the tub. A simple solution was to reconnect the wires with electrical tape, separate the two wires, and pull them through again separately.

img_3718.jpg

The only thing to watch out for here would be to not snag the mechanics wire on the wires or speakers chilling behind the firewall.

The only thing left to do was rig up the rocker switch. There's a few options on how to set up the power to the lights, and that really comes into play here. I wanted to have the option to run the lights independently, and so I opted to do as such. The rocker switch itself was pretty easy to install once I pulled the necessary wires through the firewall in the same fashion as previously mentioned. I opted to toss this thing to the left of the shifters and so slammed a couple screws up in there and locked it down.

That was easy.

Once I had them installed I fired those bad boys up and was very easily impressed. They are as bright as the sun and have really made a big difference late at night on the trails, or even to light up the backyard where the flood light doesn't reach for some midnight yard work. They even look great when they're off and it's almost impossible to see the wires from the front. I don't even notice them whenever I admire my Jeep.

img_3720.jpg
img_3721.jpg

Unread 05-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #21
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashway View Post
Hey man, that things looks pretty nice; I actually thought you found a more conservative edition! Haha. Very impressive.

I actually tested mine out before I mounted it, just to make sure, and the back seat tucks and tumbles just the same. Nonetheless, I really appreciate the pointer!
I dunno if it's why but I've got the "family style" roll bar in the back so that might situate the seat a little further back. Not that it matters, haha, I just enjoy looking at these types of things and trying to see what might be causing it. I still had to push it all the way forward to the edge of the shifter boot, but I've still got plenty of space to move around up there.

Attachment 229083

Did you get the same mirror brackets or just mirror brackets in general? If you got the same ones, I'd be curious to hear about how you mounted them!

Thanks for subscribing!
Here's how my mirror movers mount. They're similar..

JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #22
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_Nut1218 View Post
Here's how my mirror movers mount. They're similar..
Oooo. Those look nice. I almost wish I went with other brackets here myself, as I am finding I am slightly limited with the aftermarket mirror options.

Unread 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #23
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Daystar 1" Polyurethane Body Mount

Now that I had some simple stuff done and under my belt, I was ready to take on some more challenging stuff. To start me off, I was going to do a 1" body lift.

This is still my daily driver so I didn't want to go too crazy, and I figure this in combination with my 2.5" Skyjacker Suspension Lift, will get me a pretty good start in the game.

I opted for the Daystar polyurethane 1" body mounts, that are replacements for the original body mounts that also add 1". I went for the ones in black as I have heard the red ones fade real bad. The kit came with everything we needed, which was great.
The process seemed easy enough: loosen the bolts on one side, remove them on the other, lift the body of the Jeep, pop out the old ones and replace with the old ones. Repeat for the other side. I poked around the forums here and found that PB Blaster was going to be my best friend, and that we'd likely have to cut into the tub. I started hitting the bolts for the mounts as soon as I placed my order.

My family runs a lumber mill in town here and as such they have a huge garage with a few bays to keep all the trucks in tip top shape. My uncle gave me permission to park the Jeep in there for a few days if needed and go to town. Once the mounts came in, I headed up there with a buddy to get some work done.

We loosened all the bolts first. We got one stuck on the passenger's side and broke one in half on the driver's side. Pretty damn good considering the horror stories I read on here prior to diving in.

I'll apologize here: my camera was dead so I was only able to take a few pictures on my phone.

We had to adjust the radiator fan shroud so the fan wouldn't hit it once we were done. The instructions suggested we start here, so we did. They called for us to raise the shroud to match the new projected position of the fan. A bit of a challenge considering the entire engine was still in the Jeep, and the screws holding the shroud on were hard to get at as it was. Instead, we took the angle grinder and ripped off the bottom of the shroud, from where it starts to curve down on both sides. This worked like a charm!

We started with the passenger's side. First, we cut into the tub under the passenger's seat and took care of the that pesky bolt. Then we took out all the other bolts. That was easy. We grabbed a 2x4 and the jack, using the 2x4 to lift the body from the frame. We went slowly so we wouldn't snap any bolts on the other side - we actually had to run around and loosen the ones on the driver's side even more. We had the body lifted about 3" or so so we could pop out the old mounts easily.

half-lifted.jpg

We had to pull the old body steel frame inserts from the old mounts. Most of these went smoothly by holding them in a vice, flat side of steel frame mount down, and tapping the raised end down and out of the rubber body mount. Some were stuck to the steel frame inserts due to massive dry rot. We found that if we stuck them in the vice like the others and sprayed some PB Blaster on them and pried what was left from the steel inserts with a chisel and hammer. It was actually a lot more fun than it sounds. Anyways, once we had those out we were able to slam them into the new ones, position the new mounts, pop in the new bolts, lower the body, and tighten them slightly. Then it was on to the driver's side.

The driver's side was relatively easy. We had a broken bolt on this side, but luckily we were able to grab onto it with some vice grips and spin that bad boy out. Everything else went identically to the passenger's side. Next was the radiator mounts, which were insanely easy. The front end body mount was also. I was very pleased with the ease of this, once we got all the bolts out.

The old mounts were so destroyed that we actually gained almost 2" of lift. I was very impressed but more eager than ever for the suspension lift.

These are all that's left from the old dry rotted body mounts and bolts.
old-mounts.jpg

Here's a close-up of the body mount on the rear of the driver's side. These are the easiest to see without crawling around. Sorry for the odd glare.
rear-drivers-side-mount.jpg

Unread 05-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #24
brockmarzullo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome build so far! How hard was your body lift to install? I wanna do one but i dont wanna run the risk of destroying body mount bolts! lol I am def. gonna steal your idea of bolting the seat belts to the center console! Mine fall between the seats all the time! drives me crazy!
brockmarzullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #25
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmarzullo View Post
awesome build so far! How hard was your body lift to install? I wanna do one but i dont wanna run the risk of destroying body mount bolts! lol I am def. gonna steal your idea of bolting the seat belts to the center console! Mine fall between the seats all the time! drives me crazy!
x2
I was also considering a 1" BL but was concerned about the install.
How do you like the daystar? That seems like the best brand
JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #26
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashway View Post
Hey guys! First off, thanks for stopping in to check out my build thread. This has been a Jeep almost seven years in the making, going all the way back to my first ride in this very Jeep, a 1993 YJ, which was then my uncle's. He kept it stock and mostly drove it, top down, on those sunny summer days. Now it's mine and I've got loads of ideas (some realistic, some not so realistic) for what I want to do with it.

I've got to throw a disclaimer in here because otherwise some of you will be reading along and facepalming yourself. I'm a complete automotive newb. Before I started doing work on my Jeep, the only thing I did to a vehicle was change a tire. As such, there will be times when I do something ***-backwards and think it's the right way, or when I refer to a part by "that thing near that other thing". If you can handle that, I can promise that I will do my best to make this the most detailed and entertaining build thread I can.

I love constructive criticism, especially since I'm quite unfamiliar with all this, so if you see something I can be doing better, or cooler, or cheaper, or God forbid safer, please do not hesitate to pass your knowledge on to me. Proactive research can only take me so far.

On the same note, if I don't post pictures or you run into problems similar to what I've overcome, don't hesitate to ask!
Welcome to the wonderful world of Jeeps. I'm in no way an expert, but I've been in contact with the Jeep world since I was 12 when me and my dad brought a CJ7 back to life. Now at 29 I've owned about 6 or 7 different Jeeps from CJ's to Wagoneers. If you need help, shoot me a PM I'm happy to help with what I can. I'm up in northern NH a few hours from you so I'm familiar with the rust problems and things that we have come to hate...haha.

Good Luck with your build....I'm subscribing
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #27
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Daystar 1" Polyurethane Body Mount Follow Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmarzullo View Post
Haha! I'm glad my half-assed solution might actually serve some use to someone else!

The body lift install was SUPER easy. It was the old factory mount uninstall that presented issues. Even so, that wasn't too bad. If you've got a good vice, a chisel or even a large flat head screw driver, a couple gallons of PB Blaster on hand and already applied to the bolts, and access to this very website during the build, you too can be rocking a cheap few inches of extra height.

Seriously though, it was super easy even on my old '93 YJ. The other thing is there were a lot of mounts to be worked on (5 on each side and one up front by the engine) so if I got frustrated on one, I just bumped over to another one. It probably took like 3-4 hours or so. Some of the work actually blended into the suspension lift so an exact time quote is nearly impossible now.

If you can spare the Jeep for a day or two to provide for unforeseen issues, can read instructions, and take advice from the faceless masses, you should be golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_nut1218 View Post
x2
i was also considering a 1" bl but was concerned about the install.
How do you like the daystar? That seems like the best brand
As for the quality of the Daystar mounts... my research landed me with these. I've never personally experienced anything else, with the exception of my old busted out factory mounts. The polyurethane helps to keep dry rot away and they are full replacements plus 1", which I guess some aren't. The ride seems pretty smooth, for a YJ, so there's no complaints there. I'd recommend them, in a heartbeat.

Unread 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #28
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydmark1 View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Jeeps. I'm in no way an expert, but I've been in contact with the Jeep world since I was 12 when me and my dad brought a CJ7 back to life. Now at 29 I've owned about 6 or 7 different Jeeps from CJ's to Wagoneers. If you need help, shoot me a PM I'm happy to help with what I can. I'm up in northern NH a few hours from you so I'm familiar with the rust problems and things that we have come to hate...haha.

Good Luck with your build....I'm subscribing
Hey,

First off, thanks for the subscription!

Compared to me you sound like a certified Jeep technician. Haha. I definitely appreciate the helping hand man, and I may have to take you up on that once I start doing some more serious mods!

The rust hasn't been so bad on this baby, thanks mostly to my uncle's limited use of it. Although, the bolts holding the springs to the frame mounts were pretty well stuck in there. Likely though from destroyed bushings. Either way, she's out there and in the elements now, so only time will tell. So far though, I'm finding the potholes out here have been real brutal, mostly for my girlfriend in the passenger's seat. The Jeep eats those things for breakfast.

Unread 05-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #29
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

shameless plug here:

I see your in Williamsburg. You should check out www.MassKrawlers.com

A fast-growing 4x4 club for the Bay State, always looking for new rigs and members!

BTW I like the self-tappers on the Seatbelt trick, I've seen quite a few get all screwwed up after someone tries to flop the seat forward and then back down, wondering where their seatbelt clip went... lol
Unread 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #30
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy454
shameless plug here:

I see your in Williamsburg. You should check out www.MassKrawlers.com

A fast-growing 4x4 club for the Bay State, always looking for new rigs and members!

BTW I like the self-tappers on the Seatbelt trick, I've seen quite a few get all screwwed up after someone tries to flop the seat forward and then back down, wondering where their seatbelt clip went... lol
There's no shame in that plug my friend! I'm on my phone and have signatures disabled but is it safe to assume you are a member? ...I've been looking at you guys and Baystate Jeepers. It's a tough call really and I was going to start participating in the guest forums and ask around here to see which one felt more comfortable. I must say this goes a long way. I do want to get some solid tow points on the back of my Jeep before I look more seriously (hopefully by the end of the month) but I'm very keen on getting involved with a club. The major impression I got was that the Mass Krawlers tackle more advanced trails. That's probably the only thing holding me back from that club because I'm a little hesitant to hit the ground running. But maybe that's what I need. Haha.

Haha. It's a real simple solution to a real annoying problem.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.