Amateur '93 YJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Amateur '93 YJ Build

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Amateur '93 YJ Build

Hey guys! First off, thanks for stopping in to check out my build thread. This has been a Jeep almost seven years in the making, going all the way back to my first ride in this very Jeep, a 1993 YJ, which was then my uncle's. He kept it stock and mostly drove it, top down, on those sunny summer days. Now it's mine and I've got loads of ideas (some realistic, some not so realistic) for what I want to do with it.

I've got to throw a disclaimer in here because otherwise some of you will be reading along and facepalming yourself. I'm a complete automotive newb. Before I started doing work on my Jeep, the only thing I did to a vehicle was change a tire. As such, there will be times when I do something ***-backwards and think it's the right way, or when I refer to a part by "that thing near that other thing". If you can handle that, I can promise that I will do my best to make this the most detailed and entertaining build thread I can.

I love constructive criticism, especially since I'm quite unfamiliar with all this, so if you see something I can be doing better, or cooler, or cheaper, or God forbid safer, please do not hesitate to pass your knowledge on to me. Proactive research can only take me so far.

On the same note, if I don't post pictures or you run into problems similar to what I've overcome, don't hesitate to ask!

Just click and watch me grow! Check out my build thread!!
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/amateur-93-yj-build-1213127/[/url]

ALWAYS looking to meet responsible four wheeling folk in the Western Mass area!
slashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Theres an awesome homemade mods section in the stickies. Great ideas and some cheap!
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

VDP Deluxe Ultimate Console

I didn't want to jump in too far and get caught off-guard doing some heavy duty mods, so I decided to start with some simply interior and exterior upgrades that wouldn't effect my drive.

First on the list was a new center console, one with a lock. I went with Vertically Driven Products' "Deluxe Ultimate Console" after doing some simple research on the different products out there. It was cheap, very roomy, lockable, and easy to install.

I'm not going to include any pictures or tips because if I can do it without any prior experience, anyone ought to be able to. Also, the directions were extremely straightforward.

The console really rocks, in my opinion. I've got room enough in there to keep my GPS and wires for it, knives for work, spare sweatshirt, and all kinds of other stuff. The pad on the top of the armrest pops out and actually works quite well as a lug nut tray, which is an added perk. I'll have to see how the lock holds up once the top officially comes off and it's all that stands between thieves and my goodies.

Unread 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's great to see another "learn as ya go" build going on! No better way to learn in my book. I've learned tons and I'm still a wrenching idiot - but not scared to learn the hard way. Plenty of experts here to get guys like us back on track when needed. Looking forward to following your build!
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickabis View Post
Theres an awesome homemade mods section in the stickies. Great ideas and some cheap!
Hey, thanks man! I was actually browsing around there real half-mindedly as I tried to gather my thoughts to start this thread. I'll have to check it out in greater detail!

Unread 05-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
It's great to see another "learn as ya go" build going on! No better way to learn in my book. I've learned tons and I'm still a wrenching idiot - but not scared to learn the hard way. Plenty of experts here to get guys like us back on track when needed. Looking forward to following your build!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Some of these posts are backlogged a little and with running the risk of ruining any surprises, I've already got some more "advanced" stuff on there. You're definitely right though, a strong will to learn and internet access in the shop, or driveway, make it a whole lot easier for guys like us.

Unread 05-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Auxiliary Audio Input Adapter Kit

Once I got the new center console installed, I decided I was ready to update my stereo equipment a bit. This is one area I'd really like to get into, but again, I wanted to test the waters and make sure I didn't drown myself on the first try.

I have an aftermarket stereo in there now, but it has no auxiliary input option, which means I'm limited to the radio, CDs, or the scratchy sound of an FM transmitter and my iPod. Quadratec offers the "Auxiliary Audio Input Adapter Kit" which hooks up the FM transmitter directly to the antenna. It's about half the price of one of their plug-n-play stereos and is supposed to work loads better than a typical cigarette outlet one, so I figured "What the heck?".

Again, install was incredibly easy, and I was done in a matter of minutes really. However, it's quality is really sub-par in my opinion. The tracks are still coming in full of static in a lot of places and, although it's not as bad at it's worst as a 12v counterpart is. If I hadn't been so busy with work and a slew of other things, I would have promptly returned it. As it stands, a new stereo is back on my ever growing to-do list.

Unread 05-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315
For a second I thought you were learning on an SOA build. Haha.

We (I still am) were all learn as we go at some point or another. Lol.

Can you snap a pic of the console for me? I'm looking for one, plus pictures of the simplest things are always cool to look at.
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashway

Hey, thanks man! I was actually browsing around there real half-mindedly as I tried to gather my thoughts to start this thread. I'll have to check it out in greater detail!
No problem, I got a lot of good ideas from there and then started doing my own thing. Its your jeep, make it how you want.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A few things...

First off, congrats!!! I love seeing Jeeps stay in the family - that's honestly my favorite thing in the Jeeping world, and I feel it's fading out

Secondly, these guys are right, the best way to learn is to actually start on a project of your own. I guarantee most of the guys here, including myself, learned 90% of our knowledge from just delving in there and trying it for ourselves. Call it a Jeep thing

Thirdly, don't underestimate the little things! I know, as being young, you're going to want to put GPS, a sweet deck, and some sweet speakers in there! However, be sure and spend a few bucks on the little things -- brakes, belts, spark plugs, wires, just good old tune ups! I promise it'll pay dividends, and keep your beloved Jeep running for years to come!

And lastly, keep us updated! I'm now subscribed to your thread, and want to see it in progress my man!

Best of luck to you!
franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

VDP Deluxe Ultimate Console Follow-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
For a second I thought you were learning on an SOA build. Haha.

We (I still am) were all learn as we go at some point or another. Lol.

Can you snap a pic of the console for me? I'm looking for one, plus pictures of the simplest things are always cool to look at.

Haha, my buddy actually tried talking me into doing a SOA for the first few weeks after I got it.

I guess that's a good way to look at it, we all have to start somewhere!

As for the console, I've got some pictures here... I think they work. This is my first time uploading photos here....
Anyways, it's got TONS of storage and is only slightly bigger than the stock console. You have to drill three holes in the tub, two for a mounting bracket, and one straight from the console to the tub.
I found that when I pull the passenger's seat forward to let ladies into the back, the female end of the seatbelt would get stuck when I dropped the seat back into place. Girls don't like to see a man struggle with these things, so I mounted the female part of the seatbelt on the passenger's side to that side of the console using three 1 1/2" sheet metal screws. Problem solved.
There's two deep cup holders up front near the shifter boots, right above a change holder and a sunglass drawer. The cup holder actually lifts right out and there's even more space in there to toss some items out of sight.
On the armrest there is that nifty little lug nut holder thing which pops out to reveal another small storage area, this one lined with felt. It's big enough to store my inhaler, some spare cash, spare lens, and some other small things. behind that, and still attached to the armrest is another pair of, shallower, cup holders. These are nice, but kind of loose so you've got to warn the passengers in the rear around sharp turns or nasty bumps.
I would recommend this thing to anyone.
img_3709.jpg   img_3708.jpg   img_3710.jpg   img_3711.jpg   img_3713.jpg  

Unread 05-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknstn_cj5 View Post
A few things...

First off, congrats!!! I love seeing Jeeps stay in the family - that's honestly my favorite thing in the Jeeping world, and I feel it's fading out

Secondly, these guys are right, the best way to learn is to actually start on a project of your own. I guarantee most of the guys here, including myself, learned 90% of our knowledge from just delving in there and trying it for ourselves. Call it a Jeep thing

Thirdly, don't underestimate the little things! I know, as being young, you're going to want to put GPS, a sweet deck, and some sweet speakers in there! However, be sure and spend a few bucks on the little things -- brakes, belts, spark plugs, wires, just good old tune ups! I promise it'll pay dividends, and keep your beloved Jeep running for years to come!

And lastly, keep us updated! I'm now subscribed to your thread, and want to see it in progress my man!

Best of luck to you!

Haha, my family is huge and really close-knit, so it only seems natural. I will admit, it's really cool rolling up in it to family gatherings as I do more to it, he won't say anything about it, but I can tell he's impressed.

I LOVE it so far, I'm learning so much just from crawling around under there and seeing what's connected to what. My manager at work has actually been working on Jeeps for over a decade and when I told him I got one he started spewing all this information and parts and things I should do to it and I was so overwhelmed with all this information: it was like another language. Now, after a few simple mods and some serious time spent on the internet, I can hold my own in conversations with him.

I'm actually looking into some of that stuff now, especially upgrading my break system. I've got bigger tires and I already notice the slower stopping speed, plus, I like flashy things and this learning new stuff by jumping right in is really fun. I really want to get into the engine and clean things out, make it run smoother. I'd like to toss some minor upgrades in there, but I haven't really looked much into that yet... A buddy started spewing all this stuff about exhaust upgrades but I told him to hold his tongue for now. I think I've heard changing all the spark plugs and cleaning the header (headers?) is good, but I might just be imagining things.

Thanks for the tidings man! Hopefully it won't come down to needing luck though, that could get hairy. Haha. And thanks for subscribing!

Unread 05-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Warrior Products Mirror and Light Combo Brackets

This is where things start to get a little bit more involved. What's the point of driving a Jeep if you're not going to take the doors off in warm weather? And what's the point of driving something if you're going to be pulled over all the time for obvious legal infractions? There isn't one as far as I'm concerned, and so that's what prompted me to install these mirror movers as soon as possible.

I decided to go with the "Warrior Products Mirror and Light Combo Brackets". I've always been a fan of auxiliary lighting on a Jeep and figured a couple windshield mounted lights would be a great way to wet that whistle. But I'm not going to cloud this thread with mixed mods, this is about the brackets, and the mirrors because they're just a nut and bolt. Literally.

There were no instructions with these, but it was pretty straightforward, once I figured out how to orient the brackets on the windshield. Turns out, they go on the bottom half of the windshield hinge. The idea is to pull one bolt from the hinge and one bolt from the side of the windshield mount to correspond with the holes on the bracket and reinsert the included new screws. Easy enough, if you have a brand spanking new JK.
Not so easy if you have a YJ from way back when everyone listened to cassettes. Even after a can of PB BLaster on each hinge, I wound up stripping the bolt head on the first two.
Needless to say I was displeased. However, I was not to be defeated. All I did was pop the brackets up another few inches - just high enough to clear the old bolts while still covering their disgusting stripped heads - and mount them there. Easy breezy, lemon squeezy.
I had to remove the mirrors from their brackets on the doors and pop them in: a nice, clean, snug fit.

The only drawback with these is that you can't really see out the passenger side window with the doors on, and the view is slightly restricted with the door off. But this was all laid out on every site I checked these out on. I've never really trusted mirrors anyways, so I was never too worried.
New mirrors are in my near future regardless. Safety first!

The old brackets on the doors are still there, two months or so later. I've been thinking about taking them off, just to complete the look, but I'm honestly a bit hesitant for fear of what I might find underneath. God forbid there's a nice big rust hole or the paint is a different shade of dark green. I suppose I should bite the bullet soon and just go for it.

Unread 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's nice to see another learn-as-you-go build. That's certainly what I'm doing.
I started with basically the same thing too; same VDP console and mirror movers.

I'm not sure if you've discovered this or if your rear seat even has this capability..
but I found that when I tried to 'fold and tumble' my rear seat, the console was
in the way.
Solution:

Still have to finish up some of the upholstery but it's basically done.
Just an idea if you have the same problem.

BTW I like that idea of securing the seat belts to the console. I have the same
problem, might have to copy you

Goodluck on your build. I'm subscribed
JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a similar VDP console. I also secured the seat belt on the passenger side with an old web belt I had sitting around. Something I learned: the sunglasses compartment on mine is removable and I mounted my cb in there. Also removed the change keeper and mounted a plate with my switches on it. Two for lights and one fir the ECTED going in next week. And a spot to mount the mic fir the cb of course!
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.