Am I missing anything for replacing my Jeeps suspensions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Am I missing anything for replacing my Jeeps suspensions?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGPoison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Am I missing anything for replacing my Jeeps suspensions?

I will be replacing my YJ's old, worn suspension in the next few weeks, and rather then just buy a kit, I pieced one together. it is cheaper than the kit, and it lets me chose what shocks i want. anyhow, below is a list of what I am buying. i am wondering if i am missing anything? anything crucial? i am still dumb and clueless about my YJ-jeeps in general- so i want to be sure i have everything.

Rubicon express standard leaf springs- http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...pn=R%2fERE1430

Rubicon express bushing kit- http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...pn=R%2fERE1492

Front U-bolts- http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...&t_pn=RANRS720

Rear U-bolts: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...&t_pn=RANRS721

transfer drop kit: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...pn=R%2fERE2100

Skyjacker hydro shocks: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...ShockingHYDRO- I have heard that these shocks have a decent ride, so i figured i would get these for now to keep the expense down. later i will invest in some higher quality/performance shocks.

brake line extensions: http://www.amazon.com/Rubicon-Expres...productDetails

If anyone sees has any suggestions for better parts that won't cost much more than what i have in my cart, or something I am missing, let me know. the total for everything is around $730.

Jrivv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Since the RE springs you're looking at are 2.5" lift, you may - or may not - need the transfer case lowering kit. I didn't need it with my OME 1.5" lift.

How are your shackles and shackle bolts? Reusable?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If that tcase drop kit doesn't include longer bolts, you'll likely need some.

Try removing them now & start using some PB Blaster or Kroil if they are stubborn. If they spin loose inside the frame & won't back out, you can order replacement parts through Black Magic Brakes. He/Blaine carries replacement bolts & nutserts on his website. Often times those tcase crossmember/skid bolts become a PITA especially if they are rusted.

You *may* need rear axle leaf spring shims if they are not included with the leaf springs. What degree, you'll need to know when ordering them or else you'll be spinning your wheels with various degree shims trying to figure out which work the best for you.

If the shims are not included and you end up needing some, you'll also need to clamp the leaf springs together (a c-clamp or vice will do the trick), remove the current centerpin & replace it with a longer one if the current pin is not long enough to accommodate the extra length needed when adding a shim to the leaf pack.

If you experience bumpsteer after the lift, you may need a drop pitman arm to help resolve it.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My shackles look ok. They are not really rusty. The thing is I have no idea how to tell if things need to be replaced. A friend is installing everything for me. What I May do is take the jeep to him pretty soon, and have him take a look at things;determine. What little things or large things need to be replaced apart from the parts I listed. I will look into shims, and the longer bolts. The t-case drop kit is something that I figured I would purchase regardless if needed or not, since I don't what to the suspension installed and later figure out I need the t-case drop.. I will look into the drop pitman arm too. I am hoping I won't need all those *may* items, or if I do, that it won't increase the expense by much. Near $800 is high enough already, and with this being my first suspension lift, I am not too sure if I want to spend a lot initially, or start off on the lower end.. my jeep is a daily driver, won't be experiencing much off-roading. In few years perhaps, but not really anytime soon.
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get 2 bushing kits? or are you just doing front or back?
My stupid mistake was to assume that a bushing "kit" had all the bushings needed for the suspension....Nope, just one set.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

also, if your current ones are stock, since you've got everything torn apart would be a good time to also replace your frame shackle bushings
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a pick and pull in your area you can pull a pitman arm off of a Grand Cherokee, much cheaper and will have the drop you need.
You can pretty much count on replacing the leaf spring bolts. The ones that go through the bushings. Most times the sleaves that are in the bushings are rusted to the bolts.
I know you have a buddy doing the work, but you should be there helping.
I have done a number of lifts for freinds, I insist that they help, otherwise I will not do it.
You need to know how things work in case you have a problem later down the line.
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
If you have a pick and pull in your area you can pull a pitman arm off of a Grand Cherokee, much cheaper and will have the drop you need.
You can pretty much count on replacing the leaf spring bolts. The ones that go through the bushings. Most times the sleaves that are in the bushings are rusted to the bolts.
I know you have a buddy doing the work, but you should be there helping.
I have done a number of lifts for freinds, I insist that they help, otherwise I will not do it.
You need to know how things work in case you have a problem later down the line.
i will have to see if u can pull one off a cherokee. i think my friend can help me find that if i need it. as for helping, i do not know how much help i would be. i suppose being there and observing the process would be beneficial,'lending a hand if needs it. the thing is that he won't be doing it in just a 8-10 hours or so. he said he will probably take 5 days doing it, to make sure everything is installed properly and to my liking, which i am fine with. i just don't know if i will be able to be there all those days-for the whole process.
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Did you get 2 bushing kits? or are you just doing front or back?
My stupid mistake was to assume that a bushing "kit" had all the bushings needed for the suspension....Nope, just one set.
That particular bushing kit from rubicon express covers 4 leaf springs according to the description. None of this ordered yet; just on a cart/wish list. i can still add things/remove things as need be. if i need more than one bushing kit, i can get it, but i assumed the linked rubicon express one was all i needed-in regards to leaf springs i guess. bushings for other things, i don't know :/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.