Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 3 core steel

Votes: 3 50.0%

Aluminum vs 3 core radiator

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  J-Quad 
#1 ·
looking to replace my rad. what did you use

#18 ·
HUH??? Where have you been aluminum is one of the best heat transfer metals out there. :brickwall Brass and copper absorb heat but does not release it has fast as aluminum does in the heat source to air transfer.

#4 ·
I would go back in with the stock type replacement radiator. The radiator in my 92 finally wore out last year and I replaced it with a stock radiator. I have had no problems. You have a stock jeep the radiator was designed to work for it, why go experimenting when the figuring and experimenting has already been done by the factory.

If you had swapped a v8 or something like that then look for other options but since it is stock just go back with stock.

#9 ·
here's a couple of more references

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Bulletproof_cooling_system#ALUMINUM_RADIATORS

But, the choice of aluminum media will outperform their copper counterparts quite easily even though copper is a better conductor of heat. What is a lesser conductor of heat (aluminum) makes up with more surface area available for heat exchange.

But this site (I think they make brass radiators) claims only a small advantage for aluminum:

http://www.usradiator.com/testing.htm

#14 ·
I would think that aluminum is more easily damaged by hard water than brass/copper radiators. Also battery acid, engine cleaners, radiator flush and other caustic chemicals.
I have a 4 row b/c radiator and never even considered the aluminum type just because of our water.

#17 ·
If you had no problems with the stock rad cooling your rig I would just stick with a stock replacement rad.
I am using one of those cheap chinese alloy radiators from Ebay with no problems in the heat of the desert.
The 50/50 mix prevents corrosion of the alloy so that is not an issue.

Dwayne

#20 ·
I stand corrected But I'm half right. :laugh:

#24 ·
Just got an aluminum from here: Fast Radiator - The Radiator Store $141 shipped to my door in 5 days over the 4th of July weekend. Direct fit bolt in, easier than the stock replacement I got from A-Zone years ago.
Thanks for the link, Marine! :salute: :thumbsup:

I ordered one yesterday and got it today! It looked great and fit just as good! :cheers2:

I put some protective aluminum paint on it and promptly installed it without too much hassle.
A few frozen bolts that had to be ground off - but nothing that couldn't be handled. :2thumbsup:

J-Quad :pickle:

#23 ·
I went with a three core brass. As was mentioned above, they can leak, but I believe that is due to the solid mount to the Grill panel of a Jeep. Many other vehicles I am familiar with use a rubber isolated mount, so the rad floats. With all the twisting Jeeps get off-road (yes, the grill twists too), a 4 corner solid mounted rad is asking for leaks for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.