Alternator wire/connector? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
DaleG

Alternator wire/connector?

My son attempted to replace the alternator on his '95 YJ.

In taking off the old alternator, he cut the wires close to the connector, not realizing the connector was needed. D'oh.

This is the connector and cable that attaches to three bolts, and has a short wire that goes to a fourth bolt on the alternator. He cut everything but the latter.

I called a few parts stores and junkyards. The stores didn't list anything, and the junkyards said they usually just cut the wires when selling the alternator, so the part goes with the alternator.

I don't think there's enough left on the connector to get any kind of splice.

Any ideas? Is finding a used/cut connector+wire the best bet, and splicing to the wires left on the Jeep? (Or is that a bad idea?)

Any help appreciated,

-d

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
medicjz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can you figure which wire went to what and just use crimp on spade connectors?
post #3 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
DaleG

Resolved...

We got lucky; it turns out I had hung onto a connector/wire from the last alternator he bought (almost threw it out a few weeks ago!)

It had more wire before the cut, and he was able to crimp the wires together. Seems to be working.

I'd still be interested in a source for the full alternator wire with connector, to replace the now-crimped wires.

-d

Tags
alternator , connector , cut , jeep , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.