Alternator upgrade success! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alternator upgrade success!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsling View Post
Dillonjm, those tube fenders look great. I spoke to Chris (c & c fab), he took the time to answer my questions, real pleasant guy. I also order a rear bumper from Dirtyworx, I will be building the tire carrier myself. I will post pics when I am done.
He seemed like a nice guy when I was down there as well. I think you'll like them.

Looking forward to the pics.

__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
mudsling
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 75
Dillonjm, I also fabricated a gas tank skit, holders for the quick disconnects on the sway bars and even painted the jeep in my back yard. I will get all the pics posted once I am done. Trying to finish before it gets too cold here in NY.
mudsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
shockboss17
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: wilmington, delaware
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsling
I want to thank you guys in the know for all of the good information provided in this forum. I have a 94YJ 2.5L. I have KC lights, winch, stereo, etc. I research for the best way to up grade the original alternator in my jeep, this is what I came up with, with you guys help of course.

First I bought a Diehard P2 $240, which fits perfectly on the YJ battery Tray. I bough a 25' roll of welding wire #2 ($50), cable lugs. I re-wire all of my negative and positive cables, example: battery (-) to motor and battery (-) to fire wall. Battery (+) to starter, battery (+) to PDC.

Alt I bought at Autozone for a Jeep Grand Cherokee 136amp $130. Direct fit. Disconnected the 6 gage ground wire going to the engine and replace it with #2 welding wire. The positive side I ran to a 150 amp ANL fuse and fuse holder then to battery positive.

On a side note, you may wonder about the cut out fenders, I am waiting for a set of tube fenders from C & C Fabrication.

Did a test run. Hooked up to my dump truck from the bottom of my drive way, all lights on, stereo on, on idle I winched myself to the top (I would not do this on a real winching situation). No sweat.

Thanks guys
All you had to do was swap the alternator then upgrade the wire that has a higher fuse able link? I'm trying to do this in my 2.5l yj
shockboss17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
G30SFF250
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Georgia
Posts: 747
OP,
I would to read this thread.

Is there anyway you could resize the pics so I can see the printed words?

Thank you!

__________________
I would rather have a broke Jeep, than no Jeep at all.
G30SFF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
shockboss17
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: wilmington, delaware
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsling
I want to thank you guys in the know for all of the good information provided in this forum. I have a 94YJ 2.5L. I have KC lights, winch, stereo, etc. I research for the best way to up grade the original alternator in my jeep, this is what I came up with, with you guys help of course.

First I bought a Diehard P2 $240, which fits perfectly on the YJ battery Tray. I bough a 25' roll of welding wire #2 ($50), cable lugs. I re-wire all of my negative and positive cables, example: battery (-) to motor and battery (-) to fire wall. Battery (+) to starter, battery (+) to PDC.

Alt I bought at Autozone for a Jeep Grand Cherokee 136amp $130. Direct fit. Disconnected the 6 gage ground wire going to the engine and replace it with #2 welding wire. The positive side I ran to a 150 amp ANL fuse and fuse holder then to battery positive.

On a side note, you may wonder about the cut out fenders, I am waiting for a set of tube fenders from C & C Fabrication.

Did a test run. Hooked up to my dump truck from the bottom of my drive way, all lights on, stereo on, on idle I winched myself to the top (I would not do this on a real winching situation). No sweat.

Thanks guys
I'm doing the same thing, besides the alt being direct fit. All you did was upgrade the wires running off the alt, and you used #2 welding wire n used that to replace the ground side? Was it pretty simple??

Thanks
shockboss17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler
 
NHfireYJ's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockboss17 View Post
I'm doing the same thing, besides the alt being direct fit. All you did was upgrade the wires running off the alt, and you used #2 welding wire n used that to replace the ground side? Was it pretty simple??

Thanks
Typically with hi amp alternators you upgrade the Big 3.

•Upgrade the charge lead from the alternator output stud to the battery, with a 150 Amp fuse
•Upgrade the return path between the alternator and vehicle ground
•Upgrade the return path between the battery negative (-) and the vehicle ground

4AWG is more than adequate fr a 136 Amp alt
__________________
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
shockboss17
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: wilmington, delaware
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ

Typically with hi amp alternators you upgrade the Big 3.

•Upgrade the charge lead from the alternator output stud to the battery, with a 150 Amp fuse
•Upgrade the return path between the alternator and vehicle ground
•Upgrade the return path between the battery negative (-) and the vehicle ground

4AWG is more than adequate fr a 136 Amp alt
Okay and the 150 amp fuse, can you get in in the 4AWG or does that have to run through the box?
shockboss17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler
 
NHfireYJ's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockboss17 View Post
Okay and the 150 amp fuse, can you get in in the 4AWG or does that have to run through the box?
Something like this... http://ceautoelectricsupply.com/alte...ationkits.html

or make your own..
__________________
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
shockboss17
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: wilmington, delaware
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ

Something like this... http://ceautoelectricsupply.com/alte...ationkits.html

or make your own..
Thanks a lot I'm gonna get this kit. I'm also gonna get the GC alternator from auto zone I believe it's 136amps. Ill take pics and let ya know how it turns out !
shockboss17 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.