Alternator upgrade questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alternator upgrade questions.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
rocknjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alternator upgrade questions.

So my alternator is pretty much ready to die. I want to upgrade to the 136amp one out of a 98 Grand Cherokee. I currently have the original alternator from 87. What do I need to do to make it work? Or can I? I know it's a bolt in situation and that it will fit. But I'm assuming I'd need to mess with some wiring to make it work. Have any of you guys done this before?

rocknjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
rocknjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and i do believe from more reading it's the delco. why the PO who put in a 4.0L out of a cherokee didn't keep it MPI or use the alternator that had I'll never know.
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
rocknjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and now with further research I think I may have solved the problem I was looking at.

Store Locator | NAPA Online
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
rocknjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

now my question is am I going to blow up the jeep by going from 78amps to 136amps?
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just use a heavier led wire for the battery to the alt. +
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknjeep View Post
So my alternator is pretty much ready to die. I want to upgrade to the 136amp one out of a 98 Grand Cherokee. I currently have the original alternator from 87. What do I need to do to make it work? Or can I? I know it's a bolt in situation and that it will fit. But I'm assuming I'd need to mess with some wiring to make it work. Have any of you guys done this before?
I seem to explain this about once a week, somewhere.

Check your alternator - if it's OEM, the 136A ZJ/WJ upgrade will not just bolt in and work!

Prior to 1991, Jeeps were still built to AMC specs. That means Delco internally-regulated alternators (the XJ and MJ got the CS-130, and the YJ got the 12SI.)

The Nippondenso, used by Chrysler 1991-up, is externally regulated by a circuit in the PCM. Therefore, you will not have a voltage regulator, and one of two things will happen (depending on how you end up wiring the thing up):

1) You don't connect anything at all to the two studs on the back, and you get no output (due to no input to the field coils.)

2) You do some cutting and crimping, and feed the regulator sense circuit to the field coils. The field coils typically get 0.5-4.0VDC (more voltage to the field coils means more current out of the alternator,) but the regulator sense circuit means full system voltage. This means that:
A) The alternator will swing well beyond max output - we're talking 90-100VAC @ 300-400A.
B) The diodes will either blow out ("open") or short through ("closed" or "short".) If they "fail open," you won't get anything out of the alternator. If they "fail short" or "fail closed," you'll get that 90-100VAC @ 300-400A, and that will blow out pretty much all of your solid-state electronics!

There's an alternator ID guide on my site for later models (Kelley's Works in Progress & San Jose Generator, at the moment. I'll be reorganising the site sometime soon...) to help you figure out which you have. The first pair of pix is front/back on the 12SI, the second pair is F/B on the CS-130, and the third set is F/B on the ND.

This doesn't mean you're boned - the Delco SI and CS series alternators are actually the most popular alternators for conversion installs, kit builds, secondary installs, marine installs, industrial equipment, and quite a few other things (I once overhauled a Hobart GPU - Ground Power Unit - that used a Ford 140ci long block, Ford 122ci bolt-ons, and a Delco 12SI wound to 40A to keep the engine running. Most bizarre damned thing I'd worked on in years...)

Any competent shop can upwind a Delco for you in short order, and getting a Delco wound for 140-150A is a piece of caek.

NB: If you uprate your alternator, you will need to upgrade your cabling and fuse protection! I can help you with that, if you need it.
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

what he said ^^^^.

you want a CS-144, unless you are now running a 4.0 and related electronics
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the PO did not install the computer when he converted over to the 4.0L then you need to use the CS-144. The Voltage Regulator for the post 1990 are in the ECU. No ECU means no regulator. The 1990 and prior are internally regulated. The CS 144 is the right one for you
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.