Alternator/Distributor Question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alternator/Distributor Question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
SayBye

Alternator/Distributor Question.

the wire that runs from my alternator runs into a black box looking thing that is bolted onto the side of the block. (91 4.0) it comes out of the other side of this box, and goes to the center pin on my distributer cap. what is this black box that? it looks like its bolted on with four bolts.

if whatever the box is, is bad, could have make my jeep not fire and fuel pump not prime? im getting a check engine light and the arrow light on the first key turn, and every one after that. thanks!

SayBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
SayBye

so i did a little more research and from what i read its the ignition coil correct?

if the coil is bad, would that not allow me any fire, and not allow my fuel pump to prime?
SayBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you have both conditions (no fuel and no fire) then I would sooner say that your crankshaft positon sensor (located on the transmission on the drivers side attached with 2 bolts) is your problem.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

The ignition coil would prevent fire but not fuel
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL black box thing...... Saybye, you have enough post, put the info into your profile. You need to test fuel and spark. Do you hear ther fuel pump cycle when you turn on the key? Depress the valve on the fuel rail and see if fuel squirts out. Also check the codes:
http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Even if the fuel pump cycles, the pressure could be low and the pump will need changed. If you have no spark, your coil is dead. Your best bet would be to plug a scanner on it and see what you have from error codes and go from there.
UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You don't need a scanner. The post and link I gave will give you the codes. UZI4U is right about the pressure but the coil not giving spark can be a few things: basics first. Lets try and narrow it down
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
LOL black box thing...... Saybye, you have enough post, put the info into your profile. You need to test fuel and spark. Do you hear ther fuel pump cycle when you turn on the key? Depress the valve on the fuel rail and see if fuel squirts out. Also check the codes:
http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3uPEtWVvk
Btw, when you depress the schrader valve on your fuel rail, make sure your wearing some type of eye protection or just keep your head away from it. If you do have fuel pressure, it wont just squirt, but spray. Just a little FYI

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."-Mao Zedong

"For Those Who Fought For It, Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know"-Unknown

00 TJ on 31x10.5x15's- DD
89 YJ-Under the Knife
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.