alternator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > alternator

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri

Unread 12-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Avnmech82
1995 YJ Wrangler 

alternator

Hello all, working towards a second battery under the hood and a larger alternator to support a winch and a few more lights....I Believe stock is a 70 amp...any suggestions? or am I overdoing things to go with a second battery?

thanks in advance!

Avnmech82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Reno72
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would definitely go with a bigger alternator. I did the GC 136 amp from Dirtkar's write up. Here is a link to mine and also Dirtkar's. I don't know how it works with your year 2.5 but it will give you some ideas
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...nator-3518402/

YJOTM. 12/15
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is my perspective...

An extra battery has its benefits but isn't a necessity for a winch and extra lights. The battery only provides power for when the engine isnt running or your alternator can't keep up, such as winching. When you add extra lights, the battery isn't really powering those lights, the alternator is. So I would start with a larger alternator first. Which will also help with winching by reducing the load on the battery some. You should winch while reving the engine if you can for the same reason.

A second battery for winching is nice since it would increase your battery life if winching often and likely not starve the winch of power. But if you don't winch much or when you do it is only for a short duration, then two batteries don't add much IMO.

If you want the second battery because you are in remote places often without someone to jump you, or run accessories without the engine on often, or truly plan to winch often and heavily, then it starts to make sense.
blitz134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I look at the GC alternator it is externally regulated vs internal for the YJ. How is it controlled?
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
When I look at the GC alternator it is externally regulated vs internal for the YJ. How is it controlled?
The GC alternator is for 1991 and later. It is controlled from the ECM.

You want an internally regulated Chevy type alternator, like a CS-130 or CS-144. Seach, there are lots of writeups on it.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
stevehoj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was sort of the same place. Tried smaller alt pulley, upgraded a few std alternators multiple times,........even started going down a path of having two alternators and two batteries. Seperated systems but able to be swapped.

Ended up just getting one of these;

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...-6.6-Mount.htm

Pricey, but for my needs, it worked well.
08 Tundra CrewMax TRD 5.7, 07 Jeep GC-SRT8, 01 Lightning (sold), 96 Impala SS (sold), 93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold), 90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060), 71 Formula 400 (sold), 72 Formula 350 (sold), 71 Firebird 350 (sold), 69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)
stevehoj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnmech82 View Post
Hello all, working towards a second battery under the hood and a larger alternator to support a winch and a few more lights....I Believe stock is a 70 amp...any suggestions? or am I overdoing things to go with a second battery?

thanks in advance!
I'd follow Dirtkar's write up. It will work on your 2.5L. That's what I have on mine.

I would also get a hand throttle, with a bicycle shifter. That way you can rev the engine while winching outside the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehoj View Post
I was sort of the same place. Tried smaller alt pulley, upgraded a few std alternators multiple times,........even started going down a path of having two alternators and two batteries. Seperated systems but able to be swapped.

Ended up just getting one of these;

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...-6.6-Mount.htm

Pricey, but for my needs, it worked well.

Just for clarification, that won't work on the OP's '95.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post
This is my perspective...

An extra battery has its benefits but isn't a necessity for a winch and extra lights. The battery only provides power for when the engine isnt running or your alternator can't keep up, such as winching. When you add extra lights, the battery isn't really powering those lights, the alternator is. So I would start with a larger alternator first. Which will also help with winching by reducing the load on the battery some. You should winch while reving the engine if you can for the same reason.

A second battery for winching is nice since it would increase your battery life if winching often and likely not starve the winch of power. But if you don't winch much or when you do it is only for a short duration, then two batteries don't add much IMO.

If you want the second battery because you are in remote places often without someone to jump you, or run accessories without the engine on often, or truly plan to winch often and heavily, then it starts to make sense.

You are mostly right although a alternator cannot power a winch in use. The extra battery is pretty much a must have. The alternator will power up the batteries after the winch job in time.

Batteries power the winch, the alternator powers the battery.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I use one of my Jeeps daily around our woodlot pulling trees out of the woods for firewood mostly, using my warn winch. I do far more pulls sometimes than on any off road run. I seldom have low battery issues, but I do have to watch it because of the short running times.
That said I run one spiral cell battery and the stock AC Delco 65A alternator. Been doing this for the last 5 years. For ten before that we did a lot of night time winter runs when the snow was cold and hard which meant heater fan on high, lights on, plus 2, 100W Hella black magic lights and the only one with a winch half the time. Sometimes having to winch 5 or 6 up a hill to continue on. Again, never a problem.
I do have a manual fast idle also to keep the alternator putting out good.
Just food for thought for you.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.