Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Alternator

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  GASPEDDLER 
#1 ·
To any and all :

I'm experiencing somewhat of a dilema. My Jeep's voltage gage is constantly reading 15 volts. This does vary a little when I engage items (headlight's, rear defrost.. etc.) So I know the voltage regulator is working. I've traced as many wires as I can possibly get to, without fnding a short anytwhere. I took the Alternator to the mechanic's to test, and they say everything is fine. Do Jeep's constantly run a little high. I think the only issue would be the life of my battery if my alternator is constantly kicking out that many volts..

Also, I'm getting a burnt rubber smell that comes and goes. I can see no discoloring of anything or problems with the tires. Do the windings of the alternator burning make ths smell?? I did just replace the Cat. Converter.. could this be it??

Thanks for the help..

Mike

" Smile... tomorrow will be worse" - Murphy

'95 YJ, 2.5L, 32X10.5, 3 1/2", 55,000 miles

See less See more
#2 ·
having a 12 volt system does not mean your gauge should always read 12 volts.

your system should actually read about 14-14.5 to be charging properly.

it's normal.

as for the burning smell, it could be some type of protective oily film that was present on the exterior or even interior of your cat conv.-from the factory.

most likely your working your clutch too hard.
do you ride your clutch?:D

could be a small oil or coolant leak-keep looking.

hth

#3 ·
your system should actually read about 14-14.5 to be charging properly.

--> It should read that. My problem is I am constantly reading over, that can't be right. The math doens't add (I'm and electrical engineer)

as for the burning smell, it could be some type of protective oily film that was present on the exterior or even interior of your cat conv.-from the factory.

--> That's what I was thinking... Can't find any thing else

most likely your working your clutch too hard.
do you ride your clutch?:D

--> Ride the clutch?? I did that once when my dad as teaching me to drive.. I think he told me then " If you have to do that, you shouldn't be driving".. and as all of us know the smell of a burnt clutch is something that haunts you forever.. haha

If you can think of anyhting else that it might be, I am open to any suggestions...

Thanks for the help so far though.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.