Almost there, just need a little help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Almost there, just need a little help.

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Almost there, just need a little help.

So, my axle is in, sounds good, and I have an appointment next week for a windshield replacement. The only issues now, that will prevent my yj from passing inspection are electrical. The horn system doesn't work. The horn itself works when you jump wires to it. But no go on the horn button. Also, the marker light on the front driver fender doesn't work. I already tested the bulb and checked for voltage with a multimeter and nothing. Can these 2 problems be related? It appears that the circuits for both items share a wire loom. Where's a good place to start searching for a solution, besides jeepforum. Any help will be greatly appreciated and this community has no idea how much trouble it's saved me since I first got into jeeping.

Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicmoto View Post
So, my axle is in, sounds good, and I have an appointment next week for a windshield replacement. The only issues now, that will prevent my yj from passing inspection are electrical. The horn system doesn't work. The horn itself works when you jump wires to it. But no go on the horn button. Also, the marker light on the front driver fender doesn't work. I already tested the bulb and checked for voltage with a multimeter and nothing. Can these 2 problems be related? It appears that the circuits for both items share a wire loom. Where's a good place to start searching for a solution, besides jeepforum. Any help will be greatly appreciated and this community has no idea how much trouble it's saved me since I first got into jeeping.
Yes. Check the ground that is right there. I think they both have a ground which is by your air breather (where the horn is). I think it might go to a bolt under neath the horn or onto a bolt close to the radiator by the vent for the front axle. Get in there and figure it out! You got this!
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a link to download the FSM so you can follow the wiring diagram:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...start-1414928/

Little to no chance of them being related. The running light can be jumpered across from the the other running light to get you past the inspection. If you want to trouble shoot the running lights more.

The horn is pretty easy. In the FSM look at the ignition switch. You will find a violet wire that powers the horn with the ignition on through a relay right above the fuse panel. What you need to do it on that relay check power on the violet wire with the ignition on. If you have power then ground the orange wire at the relay with a short jumper wire. This will activate the relay and sound the horn if the system is good. That tells you the problem is between the column and the relay. Post back what happens when you do this.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had a problem with the front turn-signal, it ended up being the electrical bulkhead on the fire wall. Remove the bolt in the center and unplug it, using either brake clean or electrical contact cleaner clean both sides of the plugs and contacts (use rag to collect runoff) , you might have to use a wire brush to clean corrosion. Before reconnecting use a liberal amount of Dielectric grease on both sides and after inserting pop the back of the plug to seat it, don't forget the center bolt.

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That dielectric grease should be spring maintenance on all the yj connectors for everyone.
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So, I finally got around to messing with this. I fixed the marker light on the fender flair. It's working as it should. I had to replace the socket. Now my right front turn signal is giving me problems. I replaced both of the little silver cans under the dash, idk the name for them. My turn signal indicators aren't working on the dash either. The other 3 corners work fine, it's just the passenger side front that's an issue now. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does it come on at all? Can you hear the flasher relay click when you turn it on?
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The dimmer filament works as it should when the headlights are on, as does the light on the fender. The brighter filament does not flash when the turn signal is on, nor does the fender light. The rear signal flashes at the proper rate on that same side. There is clicking when it is on.
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Easy then, you flasher system is working ok. You need to use a test light/meter to see what you have on the wire at the bulb socket.
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Easy then, you flasher system is working ok. You need to use a test light/meter to see what you have on the wire at the bulb socket.
I jumped power to the line from the battery to the socket in different spots tracing the wire back. Stripped then painted with plastidip. Traced it all the way back to the bulkhead harness. It's all good under the hood. Just need to fight the bowl of spaghetti under the dash left by the PO.
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. After using all of your suggestions I now have no electrical problems. Knock on wood.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.