Alloy USA joints vs NAPA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alloy USA joints vs NAPA

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alloy USA joints vs NAPA

I just got a set of 27 spline front axle shafts this week and I was putting the ujoints in yesterday and broke one. Never had that happen before. I was pressing in the second side and I don't know if I had it in not quite straight or what, but I blew the end off the cap on the other side. I was using a ball joint press but was only turning it with a breaker bar so there was not massive force.

But, the real reson for this thread is to get thoughts or feed back in general on the alloy usa joints.

I went to NAPA to get a new joint and they had a regular and heavy duty version of the 760 type joints.

They are clearly a little beefier and the caps are a little deeper with longer needles. Also, the grease hole looks smaller, so there is less metal taken away. On the other hand, thicker an heaverier does not always mean better.

I'm inclined to put the napa joint on both sides, or out of laziness leave the Alloy joint on one side and the napa on the other as a test.

btw, the one arm is missing on the alloy joint because I cut had to cut it to get the broken cap out without having to do massive pounding on my new axle.

thoughts?

joint1.jpg   joint2.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've blown/cracked/grenaded the caps while installing them too. Suxs. Which is one reason why I have carried assembled front shafts.

I'd be prone to leave the assembled shaft alone, run it, and install whatever ujoint you have handy that's of good quality.

If you need a 760 style ujoint, I probably have ~7-8 of them of various flavors in my trail bag.

I'm headed over to Taylors house soon to help him disassemble his HPD30, and swap all my old HPD30 stuff over. So if you need me for something, call me on my cell.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I've blown/cracked/grenaded the caps while installing them too. Suxs. Which is one reason why I have carried assembled front shafts.

I'd be prone to leave the assembled shaft alone, run it, and install whatever ujoint you have handy that's of good quality.

If you need a 760 style ujoint, I probably have ~7-8 of them of various flavors in my trail bag.

I'm headed over to Taylors house soon to help him disassemble his HPD30, and swap all my old HPD30 stuff over. So if you need me for something, call me on my cell.
Thanks Joe.

Gonna try to get my new tires on and the axles in before it starts raining again.

I have one shaft fully assembled with each type of joint. I guess I leave it like that for now and report back unless someone has a strong opinion against one joint or the other.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've done the same, it really freaking sucks when you get one side pressed in and the other decides to blow up on you.
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.