To all of those who own UCF tc skidplates. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To all of those who own UCF tc skidplates.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

To all of those who own UCF tc skidplates.

I bought my skid plate a couple of weeks ago and am finally getting it installed. I got the skidplate that is between super skinny and super fat. My question is about the transfer case skidplate mounting surface to the frame. In all of the pictures that i see the plate sits flush to the frame. I have sleeves that come out of the frame that impede its final resting place. Did you just grind them down flat/till you could seat them in the holes of the skidplate?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1306208958

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1306208958

php4ado2tpm.jpg   phpw36ridpm.jpg  
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

EDIT: My stupidity at its finest.
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i noticed the same thing. was thinking about rewelding inserts in the frame flush. looks like if you simply grind it flush you will loose too much of the factory weld. im going to leave mine for now as ive got a ton of bigger issues.
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohndKc View Post
EDIT: My stupidity at its finest.
I'm confused... what?
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's the outer part of the nutsert and is only about as thick as a washer. I would not worry about an extra 3/16 of clearance too much.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can you explain to me in detail how you modified the transmission mount? I would really like to lower my transmission a little more. I had to hammer out the tub at the rear output to get the CV from contacting, but i have a nagging suspicion that with a little rough luck my drive shaft would come through the floor. I would really like to install this without a body lift.
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have the super flat with no BL. i think jbolty and i did a similar deal. i removed the rubber mount from the torque/ mounting plate. i cut off the mounting studs from the plate and welded my own on the same distance apart as the mounting holes in the skid. i used about 2" thick piece of rubber between the plate and the skid. the factory setup is a bit redundant having to bolt the plate to the rubber then bolt the rubber to the skid. this just simplifies the design. had to beat the tunnel for the very top of the trans. didnt have a problem with the cv. no MML at this time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.