Are all rotors created eqaul? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Are all rotors created eqaul?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
95Rio
2008 JK Wrangler 

Are all rotors created eqaul?

Looking to do my first brake job on my 95 wrangler after Mr. Tire quoted me $1,000. My question is when I buy rotors online should Ijust shop for cheapest or are some better then other?

Steve

95Rio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
bernm8r
1990 YJ Wrangler 

$1,000 bucks are they out of there mind?!?!!??!you could do an entire brake job on 3 jeeps for that. Brakes are super easy to do. Drum brakes on the rear are the biggest pain. But you could get new rotors new calipers and all new brake lines for all that. he funny thing is it is so very very easy to do. Rotors run the most in my search I need to do this soon as well. If money is no object go for the top line parts but in general rotors are about 50 surprising is the calipers are less. You could do the job with minimum experience and not many special tools or even space. If you have a buddy that is sort of mechanical you could do it in less than a few hours. either way I wish you luck and please just take a look on doing it yourself it is not that intimidating and the folks here can answer ALL your questions if you need it.
Good luck
bernm8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Front disc brakes are one of the easiest things you can do on your Jeep. Great learning experience. For $1,000 that brake job better come w/ a half naked busty blonde and a life time supply of Beam Black
Just do one side at a time, so if you forget how it went together you'll have a reference.Good luck
ziebartrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Go to Napa... Some of the best, cheapest rotors available IMO...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think Autozone has some for $20 a piece. That was the price when I replaced mine several years ago.

$1000 bucks. Sounds like they want to rebuild the whole front end.

Parts cost:

Pads=$20
Shoes=$23
Rotors=$40
Drums=$70 (not sure on this one, I haven't replaced my drums).

Either way, thats only $153. Thats a rough estimate to give you an idea.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What they said, 1K is a lot of green I can think of a lot better things to do with it.
Buy tools comes to mind.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Hurley91

Brakes are easy, just read up how to do them and save your self hundreds and maybe make a few bucks doing friends cars
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The rear drum brakes are not bad. Just do one side at a time.

After you do one set of drum brakes, you will never have trouble in the future servicing drum brakes.

One thing, spend the 20 bucks and buy a set of brake spring pliers, money well spent.
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
fishwater2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Actually there is a difference in rotors, mainly thickness. If you take a low cost rotor next to a premium rotor you will find the overall thickness is the same but the actual surface that the pad rides on & gets machined in future brake jobs should be (will be) thicker in the premium rotor. Surprisingly you do get what you pay for in rotors.
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
Smash209
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I was wondering about this too... Autozone has rotors for about $20 with a 1yr warranty, and more for ones with 2yr and 3yrs. I always assumed the rotors were basically the same, you were just paying more for the warranty, but last time the staff told me that the 2 and 3yr ones are actually made better, and the 1yr ones are made of a softer steel.

Could it be? I figured with breaks there is only so cheep they can go and still have the car stop safely?
~~~~~~~~~ \\// ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Smash209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
fishwater2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash209 View Post
Yea I was wondering about this too... Autozone has rotors for about $20 with a 1yr warranty, and more for ones with 2yr and 3yrs. I always assumed the rotors were basically the same, you were just paying more for the warranty, but last time the staff told me that the 2 and 3yr ones are actually made better, and the 1yr ones are made of a softer steel.

Could it be? I figured with breaks there is only so cheep they can go and still have the car stop safely?
Well it's simple, go to the counter & ask for the same rotor in the different grades. Look at the thickness of the material on the rotor face & you SHOULD see a difference. Just remember that the overall thickness of both sides of the rotor & the cooling vanes will be the same, it is the actual material thickness per side that you are concerned with. The easiest way to do this is to lay the rotors flat on the counter & look from the side. Good luck & let us know how you do!
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash209 View Post
You're correct. They have to stop the car safely. HOWEVER - how many times it does so is the question. Hence, the cheap $20 rotors will stop the car & be good for maybe 6 months, then they'll become warped & start to shudder and shake. Where as the 3yr warranty rotors will last much longer before you need to service them again.

As Fishwater2 said, "you do get what you pay for in rotors."

Good Luck!
J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
antec

i just did almost my whole system 2 weeks ago
1.rotors = $45.32
2.pads = $25.12
3.drums =$120.87
4.shoes = $18.65
5.front caliper's = $35
6.rear slaves = $22.45
7.Master Cylinder =$39.45
8.new stainless lines=$55.98
total = $349.95
thats for every thing in the system almost
got every thing at autozone.
DO NOT GET DURALAT ROTORS THAY ARE POS( thay were warped, and had 3 cracks in the cooling fins)
get Valucraft thay are $10 cheaper and much better
antec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.